+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for DM to go

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I don’t think it needs to be a choice.
    Qualifying for Europe or winning a cup are both positive situations.
    Sure, as a fan, winning silverware is what we all ultimately want, but it’s separate to European qualification.
    Personal preference, I'd take a run in the group stages of Europa league over the league cup but I'd take Scottish cup win over Europa league. Purely because nigh on 30 years is a disgrace for us not to have won it in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered:
    Surely the target would be win a cup

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    I no doubt think that would be one of the targets, but it would be below qualifying for Europe.
    Either inadvertently or not, right there in a nutshell you’ve captured why so many people are so disappointed and hacked off currently.

Targeting Europe over a cup win is bo’llocks and in my view demonstrates a complete lack of both ambition and understanding of what most fans want and expect.

That’s like feckin arsenal being happier finishing fourth than winning a cup - f’uck that.

I’m sorry if my and others standards and expectations are higher than that - but that’s the truth of it and if the club and management don’t match that then they are going to get flak.

Listen to Lennon again tonight. Lassie interviewing him on BT basically said he must be happy with fourth expecting the usual platitudes.

His answer was an emphatic no, fourth not good enough for him. Wanted at least third before he’d call it a successful season. Didn’t throw his players under a bus in anyway, just made his standards and expectations clear and the fact they’d not been met.

Given where they have come from, I and many others would say they’ve had a great season finishing fourth - but Lennon has higher expectations and isn’t afraid to say it.

No chance they will lie down to Sevco on Sunday - he’ll send his team out to try and get the 6 goal win required. Unlikely and Unrealistic, yes, but a winners attitude.

I’d love more of that attitude and expectation to exist in our management and board - fat chance though.

Scottish Cup> League Cup > Euro jolly

Football is about winning things

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Scottish Cup> League Cup > Euro jolly

Football is about winning things
    Correct - spot on.

Can add to the “modern fitba is rubbish” thread this modern day p’ish (mainly in Guffball to be fair) about targeting league placings over actually winning trophies - utterly farcical.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    Correct - spot on.

Can add to the “modern fitba is rubbish” thread this modern day p’ish (mainly in Guffball to be fair) about targeting league placings over actually winning trophies - utterly farcical.
    Scottish cup > Win the Europa League > League cup

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Scottish cup > Win the Europa League > League cup
    I’d take that - but might be considered a tad unrealistic given the way Europe is gerrymandered these days :-)

I’d take that - but might be considered a tad unrealistic given the way Europe is gerrymandered these days :-)
    I'd prefer to call it ambitious which is something that seems to have vanished at Pittodrie of late....

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Well done on contributing to it then.
    Certainly a far greater contribution than you have put in.

Either inadvertently or not, right there in a nutshell you’ve captured why so many people are so disappointed and hacked off currently.

Targeting Europe over a cup win is bo’llocks and in my view demonstrates a complete lack of both ambition and understanding of what most fans want and expect.

That’s like feckin arsenal being happier finishing fourth than winning a cup - f’uck that.

I’m sorry if my and others standards and expectations are higher than that - but that’s the truth of it and if the club and management don’t match that then they are going to get flak.

Listen to Lennon again tonight. Lassie interviewing him on BT basically said he must be happy with fourth expecting the usual platitudes.

His answer was an emphatic no, fourth not good enough for him. Wanted at least third before he’d call it a successful season. Didn’t throw his players under a bus in anyway, just made his standards and expectations clear and the fact they’d not been met.

Given where they have come from, I and many others would say they’ve had a great season finishing fourth - but Lennon has higher expectations and isn’t afraid to say it.

No chance they will lie down to Sevco on Sunday - he’ll send his team out to try and get the 6 goal win required. Unlikely and Unrealistic, yes, but a winners attitude.

I’d love more of that attitude and expectation to exist in our management and board - fat chance though.
    Once again I clarify.
    They are different competitions. There’s no targeting the league over the cups.

1) League - Expectations and targe should be to qualify for Europe. Over the course of a season, this is the barometer of how well we are playing ( in terms of accumulating wins ( points))
    2&3) Cups - Scottish Cup has a higher prestige than the League Cup, however both should be looking at good runs to the semi-finals at least. Ambition is to win, but can need a bit of luck.

I’d happily sacrifice 2nd to win a cup, but they are not mutually inclusive of each other, so in terms of the league competition, qualifying for Europe is achieving our target in that competition.

While I wouldn't take a Euro run over winning the Scottish Cup there's no question that the former would be more beneficial for the club in the long run. Winning the Scottish Cup is a goal in itself - it doesn't lead to anything else and it isn't necessary that it does. Europe gives the club the opportunity to grow beyond what is possible within the constraints of the Scottish league setup - we're comparing apples and oranges really.

Overall I have enjoyed our European campaigns over the past few seasons. It has been frustrating that we have beaten some of the stronger teams we were drawn against in the 2nd qualifying phase but have failed to progress from any of three winnable third qualifying round ties.

Qualifying for the Group stages wouldn't match a trophy but it would be massive for the club. Ultimately we want to bridge the financial gap with the Glasgow clubs to give ourselves a better chance in the league and in the absence of a sugar daddy owner, regular qualification for the UEFA Cup (sod calling it the 'Europa League') is our best chance to do that. It's a long term project due to the seeding system.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast