+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling

But just imagine how good it would be if we did well up there...a terrible year last time, but a real transformation since then with a positive, thoughtful manager who knows our club, an enjoyable away day for other fans and an underdog mentality - we could make ourselves popular with neautrals and make our own fans very proud.

Consider myself a realistic fan - predicted us 12th this year thinking that just staying well clear of relegation would be a decent season after last time and with an unproven manager - but now we’re on the up we’ve just to keep it going as long as we can.

Absolutely a huge challenge for a club like us, but can anyone say they were more optimistic at the start of last season than they would be under Warne and the new (and to be improved) squad? Warne certainly won’t be as careless and spout so many thoughtless cliches as Stubbs

This team reminds me more of Ronnie's first spell.

Warne has got them playing as a team, with no real stars.

If he can keep doing that with whoever he needs to bring in then we have much more chance this time around. Sounds like a real thinker as well as being a decent bloke.

Personally I'm happy with getting promotion whenever we can, even if its always 3 years at level 2 and start again. The foundations are being built at the moment, but as we all know things can change quickly.

Don't get me wrong, last season was a struggle, especially with a 150 mile round trip every home loss. I Just think it's part of supporting a 'lower league' club, experiencing the ups and downs. For me, the downs make the ups so much sweeter, and despite a few frustrating results this seasons, we've certainly exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, we've been left behind by the teams above us, but considering where we were 12 months ago to where we are now, I'm more than happy with the extended season and potential Wembley visit. 2010, 2014, 2018? Ambitious, but will it be brilliant?

The alternative of course is we could have pushed for relegation and an easy life in League 2. Just ask the likes of Tranmere, Orient and Chesterfield how well that worked out.

I do worry about us if we go back up but, if the opportunity comes around for promotion you have to grab it with both hands and run with it. We can't delay promotion just because we are worried about that disastrous season.

I think PW is the best manager we can get, he doesn't have a scattergun approach of buying 100 players and 5 turning out to be decent like Evans did, he doesn't lack charisma and a relationship with the fans like Stubbs did, he wouldn't leave us hanging for half of pre-season about whether he will manage us the following season then like us up the creek like Warnock did.

He cares about the club, he is a fan of Rotherham, his family are Rotherham fans. It makes a huge difference. He knows what the fans want. He knows about passion. Of course we're going to be in a relegation battle most seasons we're in the Championship, and of course we're all going to be weary after last season, I bet PW and TS are more weary than us! But it's exciting. We have a new and upcoming manager who has a fantastic relationship with the fans and is pretty much Rotherham through and through.

Heard this morning that not one team promoted into the top 5 English leagues this year was relegated. Pretty amazing that. Don’t know if it’s just coincidence or if there are more teams on long term decline that struggle when they are relegated and keep dropping

Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    Heard this morning that not one team promoted into the top 5 English leagues this year was relegated. Pretty amazing that. Don’t know if it’s just coincidence or if there are more teams on long term decline that struggle when they are relegated and keep dropping
    I heard that too mate, pretty impressive actually. I think it's probably due to more teams being financially buggered long term. Its a shame we didn't survive last season because I think we'd be sitting comfortably low-mid table, without a relegation battle

I can't see us having anymore prospects of stopping up than last season, but that's not really what bothers me. The most bullish guys on here are usually the first to turn on the club after a bad start.
    I can well envisage a bad start and suddenly, all hell breaks loose. 'Warney is out of his depth'.'Tony Stewart has lost the plot'. Some people will even go and support Huddersfield.
    If we do struggle next year, lets be realistic and stick with the players and management.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    I can't see us having anymore prospects of stopping up than last season, but that's not really what bothers me. The most bullish guys on here are usually the first to turn on the club after a bad start.
    I can well envisage a bad start and suddenly, all hell breaks loose. 'Warney is out of his depth'.'Tony Stewart has lost the plot'. Some people will even go and support Huddersfield.
    If we do struggle next year, lets be realistic and stick with the players and management.
    What you don’t like the banter?

It’s TS you need to worry about if we start badly, the fans don’t sack them even though they may not help the situation

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Couldn't agree more Jocks

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast