+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sell the May...

Sell the May...

...and walk away.

I agree with every word Andrew Cadman says.

"We have reached the endgame for both Britain and Theresa May. Caught between Brexit hardliners and the Tory voting electorate on one side and Remain Ultras on the other, whatever she does seems to guarantee a serious constitutional crisis through either reneging on Brexit or defeat in Parliament. Moreover, if we don’t confront the EU now, there will no time to prepare for exit on WTO terms. Once that deadline has passed, national humiliation of our country will be sealed as the EU wrings concession after concession.
    Oh, how we pine for Margaret Thatcher in this situation! – not that she would ever have allowed herself to get into it in the first place. The comparison with our hapless Prime Middle Manager is almost too painful to make. As one below-the-line commentator put it when preliminary negotiations were under way, if Barnier had tried it on with a £40bn payment demand, Thatcher would have walked out with a £50bn rebate and his b***s as a keychain. Moreover she would, unquestionably, have seized the initiative on Brexit from the very beginning, prepared aggressively for WTO rules from day one and stared the EU down.

Mrs T was, of course, a woman in what was still very much a man’s world, and no doubt had to learn early on to mix it with the best of them. And boy, did she. She was, as Ronald Reagan famously described her, ‘the best man in England’. That said, it’s far too simplistic to say that Thatcher was simply an honorary man, macho in macho times: history tends greatly to underplay her feminine side, and there is a strong argument that what made her so effective a leader was the right blend of both masculine and feminine qualities. She had masculine qualities of risk-taking courage, single-mindedness, singular vision and the ability to engage in highly confrontational situations when necessary. However, she was also capable of cautious pragmatism. The risks she took were calculated, and at least until the final years of her reign she never let wounded pride stop her making tactical withdrawals when necessary in the way that her successor John Major did.
    May, in contrast, is the classic careerist type: someone who all her life wanted to be something rather than to do something, and finding when she finally gets there that she lacks the vision necessary for leadership. That is her personal tragedy: it is also Britain’s.
    Very often such mediocre people lack self-awareness. They also tend to lack moral courage. Getting to the top is everything, so life becomes a dreary zero-sum game. Responsibility for difficult decisions is shirked if possible and vengeance taken on anyone who stands in their way – hence May’s despicable behaviour during the EU Referendum and her reputation for personal vindictiveness. Bullies are always cowards, and May is undoubtedly one of those: ducking and putting off the difficult decisions from day one, she has thrown away a strong hand and manoeuvred herself, her party and her country into an almost impossible position. The only way out seems to be under a new leader who believes in Brexit with a stronger electoral mandate and who is prepared to go to WTO rules. Someone, metaphorically and perhaps literally, possessing the grandes cojones the hour clearly requires.
    Our current leader can clearly never be that person. She must go – now.
    To adapt the investors’ adage, it is time to Sell the May and walk away."

Corbyn thrashed her in the Commons yesterday.

If Corbyn can totally humiliate her, then it really is time she walks.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    ...and walk away.

"We have reached the endgame for both Britain and Theresa May. Caught between Brexit hardliners and the Tory voting electorate on one side and Remain Ultras on the other, whatever she does seems to guarantee a serious constitutional crisis through either reneging on Brexit or defeat in Parliament. Moreover, if we don’t confront the EU now, there will no time to prepare for exit on WTO terms. Once that deadline has passed, national humiliation of our country will be sealed as the EU wrings concession after concession.
    Oh, how we pine for Margaret Thatcher in this situation! – not that she would ever have allowed herself to get into it in the first place. The comparison with our hapless Prime Middle Manager is almost too painful to make. As one below-the-line commentator put it when preliminary negotiations were under way, if Barnier had tried it on with a £40bn payment demand, Thatcher would have walked out with a £50bn rebate and his b***s as a keychain. Moreover she would, unquestionably, have seized the initiative on Brexit from the very beginning, prepared aggressively for WTO rules from day one and stared the EU down.

Mrs T was, of course, a woman in what was still very much a man’s world, and no doubt had to learn early on to mix it with the best of them. And boy, did she. She was, as Ronald Reagan famously described her, ‘the best man in England’. That said, it’s far too simplistic to say that Thatcher was simply an honorary man, macho in macho times: history tends greatly to underplay her feminine side, and there is a strong argument that what made her so effective a leader was the right blend of both masculine and feminine qualities. She had masculine qualities of risk-taking courage, single-mindedness, singular vision and the ability to engage in highly confrontational situations when necessary. However, she was also capable of cautious pragmatism. The risks she took were calculated, and at least until the final years of her reign she never let wounded pride stop her making tactical withdrawals when necessary in the way that her successor John Major did.
    May, in contrast, is the classic careerist type: someone who all her life wanted to be something rather than to do something, and finding when she finally gets there that she lacks the vision necessary for leadership. That is her personal tragedy: it is also Britain’s.
    Very often such mediocre people lack self-awareness. They also tend to lack moral courage. Getting to the top is everything, so life becomes a dreary zero-sum game. Responsibility for difficult decisions is shirked if possible and vengeance taken on anyone who stands in their way – hence May’s despicable behaviour during the EU Referendum and her reputation for personal vindictiveness. Bullies are always cowards, and May is undoubtedly one of those: ducking and putting off the difficult decisions from day one, she has thrown away a strong hand and manoeuvred herself, her party and her country into an almost impossible position. The only way out seems to be under a new leader who believes in Brexit with a stronger electoral mandate and who is prepared to go to WTO rules. Someone, metaphorically and perhaps literally, possessing the grandes cojones the hour clearly requires.
    sinkov --you are just trying to upset many posters of here --you know that Mrs T never did any good as far as they are concerned and is responsible for everything that has happened since, in fact, I am surprised that she isn't getting the blame for Brexit.
    I have said for a long time that we have not had any leaders for 30 years and Andrew Cadman is correct with his assessment, however, Theresa May was thrown in at the deep end because Cameron never thought that the country would vote for Brexit and no plans were ever put in place to cover the eventuality. Since the vote we have been busking --rather badly I'm afraid and we seem to be getting nowhere very fast.

Sadly Ss we can't now get Mrs T to sort out this shambles, there is one other leader alive and kicking who would sort out the EU in short time though, and give us the Brexit we voted for.

Unfortunately he's pre-occupied at the moment sorting out the mad mullahs in Tehran.

Thatcher? Trump?

Serious question Sinkov, when you were at school did you read the Flashman books - and did he become one of your heroes?

You worry me. You read the Conservative Woman, the Mail and often quote from these "news" sources - yet you diss the BBC and the Guardian.

Your ideas are so extreme that you are now disenfranchised since UKIP disappeared up it's own backside.

Re North Korea...if Trump's meeting with the North Korean leader bears fruit then he deserves credit - and I will be chuffed to say it.

But he has already burned his bridges with me as being fit to be the most powerful human being on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    ...and walk away.

I don't know this Andrew Cadman, nor did I like Thatcher, but I agree with you Sinkov and every word Cadman has said, but while everyone waits around for everyone else Britain will be put to the sword by the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Thatcher? Trump?

Serious question Sinkov, when you were at school did you read the Flashman books - and did he become one of your heroes?

You worry me. You read the Conservative Woman, the Mail and often quote from these "news" sources - yet you diss the BBC and the Guardian.

Your ideas are so extreme that you are now disenfranchised since UKIP disappeared up it's own backside.
    It's not really for me to say 59/60, but my friends and family say I'm very well read, and my head is rarely out of a book, paper or magazine, currently I'm halfway through Paddy Leigh Fermor's 'A Time of Gifts' about his journey on foot from London to Istanbul in the 1930s, but I've never read a Flashman novel. Cameron was often likened to him, so I assume Flashman was a toff as well, but beyond that I know nothing about him. Does it occur to you that if I'm dissing the Guardian and BBC, which I do enthusiastically, then it follows that I must be reading their output as well.

UKIP has all but vanished because they have achieved their objective. Their raison d'etre was to obtain and win a referendum on our membership of the EU, and 17 million people, including me, voted for their desired outcome. Job done, what's left for them now ? 60 odd million Americans voted for Trump as President, I would have done as well, and he won that election as well. I think you must be getting your adjectives mixed up 59/60, extremists don't win elections/referendums with such vast support, my ideas are oh so clearly mainstream. It's the fringe parties that no one votes for that are the extremists.
    Last edited by sinkov; 10-05-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Unfortunately the "mainstream" you refer to sinkov are xenophobic, institutionally racist, misogynistic nutjobs.

Trump exemplifies the breed perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Unfortunately the "mainstream" you refer to sinkov are xenophobic, institutionally racist, misogynistic nutjobs.

Trump exemplifies the breed perfectly.
    But not anti-semitic, I leave that sewer for Labour Party members to swim in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)