+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip the 56

Rip the 56

11th May 1985 the day of the Bradford fire.In my opinion this tragedy shamefully gets overlooked by most of the national media.I recall watchin the fire on TV it was wiout doubt a horrific tragedy.RIP to all that lost their lives and i send best wishes to all those that survived/lost family.UTCB

I agree, especially about being overlooked

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield_Blade View Post
    I agree, especially about being overlooked
    My mum and dad were supposed to be there that day, but didn't go due to an unexpected family visit. They were lucky, others weren't. RIP to the 56.

Watched it on TV too. It was unbelievable how quickly it all happened.

RIP the 56

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    My mum and dad were supposed to be there that day, but didn't go due to an unexpected family visit. They were lucky, others weren't. RIP to the 56.
    Chuffin hell Carpe,would they have been in that stand as well? UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Chuffin hell Carpe,would they have been in that stand as well? UTCB
    Yeah. Crazy to think that they could have been caught in it, but for someone unexpectedly turning up from halfway across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    Yeah. Crazy to think that they could have been caught in it, but for someone unexpectedly turning up from halfway across the world.
    Obviously i dunt know you(apart from on here)or your parents but that's sent a cold shiver darn my spine,thank goodness for the visit mi owd pal.UTCB

We played Brighton that day I'd gone down for the weekend,knew nothing of it till we got back to digs to get changed for the night time shin digs only got a glimpse of it on tv with no sound so we weren't really aware of the gravity of it till the next day. There's no good way to die but I remember seeing pictures of behind the stand where they all got trapped and thinking that's got to be one of the worst ways to go

It never does get the media attention like Hillsboro or heysell but then there was no hooliganism attached so it doesn't interest them as much,it was just a tragic accident that never should have happened

RIP the 56

I read the book recently, written by a guy who was a young fan at the time. He was at the game in that old wooden death trap of a stand with his dad, grandad and brother who all died in the fire.
    The Bradford chairman at the time coincidentally had been the victim of eight other fires at business premises owned by him resulting in huge insurance payouts.
    Incredible but chilling story.

Was there any insinuation it may have not been accidental 64 ? Sat in many stands like that in the lower leagues not least our own John st stand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast