+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grammar/Faith Schools

Grammar/Faith Schools

I went to a Roman Catholic junior school and a Grammar school.

I am against both grammar schools and faith schools.

Today it was announced that grammar schools and faith schools will receive a £50 million pot of money from inside the existing education budget, which is already underfunded. And faith schools can now accept 100% kids of the same faith instead of the 50% at present.

On faith schools. I believe religious education should take place outside mainstream education and the parents should sort it out.
    Kids of 4/5/6 years of age accept people from other backgrounds without a problem. If they grow up in mixed christian/muslim/jewish/athiest classrooms then they end up realising that they are all basically the same, albeit they may look or dress differently.
    I am certain that young people get their prejudices largely from their parents (who have probably never spent any time with people from different backgrounds)
    What faith schools do is to segregate kids at a very early age and to instruct them that they are "different" from other groups. And, without meeting these "other" people at school, they will probably grow up totally segregated from other groups of children.
    This can't be good for social cohesion in the next generation.

On grammar schools....just no.

I went to Grammar school and I'm still as thick as pig Schite...

The only real answer is comprehensive schools and the Tories thought of it first!

I was listening to this on LBC Radio this morning, so much gobbledegook being talked about I lost interest.

Unlike alf I went to a SM School, but just like alf I'm also thick as pig Schite.

I'm just very impressed that you all went to any school ----lucky beggars!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

I am certain that young people get their prejudices largely from their parents (who have probably never spent any time with people from different backgrounds)
    Sometimes 59/60, I don't think you realise how patronising you sound. Of course you will have spent lots of time with people of different backgrounds won't you, and couldn't possibly possess any prejudices, never mind pass them on to your children. It's those bigoted Ukip voters and Brexiteers again isn't it ? For what it's worth I've spent lots of time with people of differing backgrounds and have no problem with faith schools or grammar schools. Anything has got be an improvement on our appallingly dysfunctional education system that is currently letting down thousands of our children.

Sorry if I sounded patronising - but I think it's an important point.

If kids start mixing with kids from different backgrounds from the get go then I think it would be unlikely that they would have prejudices against them.

On the other hand, if they are effectively segregated at that age then they will not have the life experience to make their own minds up about them. They will be taught this by their parents.

This actually happened to me as I was growing up in a Catholic environment in Rossendale in the 50's/60's. I was sent to a Catholic school and was told by members of my family that i should not play with certain kids because they were Proddys. At that age i didn't question my older and betters.

And, without linking it to Tories or Brexit, I think we have all met bigoted people who have kids.

The Catholic/Protestant thing has largely gone now (except in Ireland - and even here things seem to be improving) but there is certainly an underlying mistrust and prejudice against certain kinds of "foreigners". And that is largely due to ignorance because some of these parents haven't mixed with people of other cultures and simply don't understand their way of life.

Me? I have been lucky enough at uni, in my jobs and through being a member of the Lib Dems to get to know many people from different backgrounds. Two of my favorite business acquaintances are from Kenya and Pakistan - and I have met them loads of times both on business and for pleasure.
    I used to deal with people from the USA, Israel, Jordan, Australia, various countries in Africa and most European countries and we always got on very well and respected each other. It was always a pleasure when I visited them or they visited us.

It's been a large factor in making me believe that we should build bridges with other nations, not put up barriers.

He will probably have plenty of prejudices Sinkov,but being in local government politics he wouldn't dare air them or he would be hung out to dry,so he just takes it out on us who air them .. By the way,I have some very good Asian friends and my children were brought up to respect anybody whatever colour or religion they are..

Certainly have Alf!

Rovers fans, Yarkshire types and lager drinkers.

You make a good point about politicians having to mind their P's and Q's - but this is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I went to a Roman Catholic junior school and a Grammar school.

I am against both grammar schools and faith schools.

Today it was announced that grammar schools and faith schools will receive a £50 million pot of money from inside the existing education budget, which is already underfunded. And faith schools can now accept 100% kids of the same faith instead of the 50% at present.

On faith schools. I believe religious education should take place outside mainstream education and the parents should sort it out.
    Kids of 4/5/6 years of age accept people from other backgrounds without a problem. If they grow up in mixed christian/muslim/jewish/athiest classrooms then they end up realising that they are all basically the same, albeit they may look or dress differently.
    What faith schools do is to segregate kids at a very early age and to instruct them that they are "different" from other groups. And, without meeting these "other" people at school, they will probably grow up totally segregated from other groups of children.
    This can't be good for social cohesion in the next generation.

On grammar schools....just no.
    I attended a Grammar School from age 8 to 18. It was a boys school in my day but is now co-educational. I think there is a place for grammar schools within our educational system but fees can be prohibitive. I was also a governor at a Church of England primary school. I think parents on the whole support the teaching of religious education within schools but I do agree there have been serious concerns raised with regard to the educational practices of and values taught in some faith schools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)