+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs Coventry City PO SF L1 (12.05.18)

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It amazes me how many fans still speak against VAR with some sort of sentimental attachment to days gone by. To me it's a no brainer to introduce it at all levels where it can be afforded, and play-off games certainly need it. Why would we have goal-line technology today, but not VAR?

This is not the 1930's jumpers for goalposts with tea and scones after the match anymore. It's a serious, professional sport where a wrong decision can potentially cost a club thousands (or even millions) of pounds. To throw out the old line about 'luck evening itself out over time' is just a joke. If the technology is there to minimise the number of errors made by officials, it should be employed. This is the 21st century for crying out loud!

Then again, if you look at the amateurs running football, compared with other sports, it shouldn't be a surprise we're still crawling out of the dark ages.
    I accept that VAR is here to stay. What I don’t accept is the way it has been introduced without much thought in my opinion.

For example the main issues for me are communication to the audience in the stadium what is going off and to the TV audience.

Why the referee cannot be miked up like in Rugby I find baffling. It’s almost like the FA or whoever want the referees communication to be secret and protect them. It’s the same after games they never come out and speak to the media.

If the ref is miked up then this can also be communicated to fans inside the stadium through the tannoy system. At clubs that show replays on screens in the stadium it could also be shown on there as well.

The next one is the amount of times VAR can be consulted during the game. The Rochdale and Tottenham game was constant stop start and the ref basically used VAR as an excuse to pass the parcel and not make any decision. I think VAR should only be used sparingly on key decisions and when the ref is in doubt.

I also think managers should be given an opportunity in each half to consult VAR. Yesterday KN could have said upon awarding of the penalty to the 4th official can we go to VAR.

As you say Jackal we need to move with the times. However VAR needs a lot of work to make it a useful tool in my opinion because it’s in its infancy and is causing more controversy than what it’s solving at the moment. Football should look at how it’s used in other sports and follow what works.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I accept that VAR is here to stay. What I don’t accept is the way it has been introduced without much thought in my opinion.

For example the main issues for me are communication to the audience in the stadium what is going off and to the TV audience.

Why the referee cannot be miked up like in Rugby I find baffling. It’s almost like the FA or whoever want the referees communication to be secret and protect them. It’s the same after games they never come out and speak to the media.

If the ref is miked up then this can also be communicated to fans inside the stadium through the tannoy system. At clubs that show replays on screens in the stadium it could also be shown on there as well.

The next one is the amount of times VAR can be consulted during the game. The Rochdale and Tottenham game was constant stop start and the ref basically used VAR as an excuse to pass the parcel and not make any decision. I think VAR should only be used sparingly on key decisions and when the ref is in doubt.

I also think managers should be given an opportunity in each half to consult VAR. Yesterday KN could have said upon awarding of the penalty to the 4th official can we go to VAR.

As you say Jackal we need to move with the times. However VAR needs a lot of work to make it a useful tool in my opinion because it’s in its infancy and is causing more controversy than what it’s solving at the moment. Football should look at how it’s used in other sports and follow what works.

I previoulsy wrote

'football seems to have looked at how it works in Rugby and Cricket, totally ignored it then found a way to use it incompetently'

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't claim for one moment that the system is anywhere near perfect yet, and I fully expect a few mishaps during the World Cup, accompanied by the "we're not sure about this" narrative from a few commentators and pundits. You're also right that if there's an easy way or a hard way to bring in a new system, the football authorities will always go at it with a shovel. The only correct thing that Robert Maxwell ever said was that the people who run football are "a bunch of bungling amateurs", and that's why, as you say, they are always so reluctant to open themselves up to any kind of cross-examination.

But as per your final paragraph, there's no getting away from the responsibility to move with the times, especially when new technology becomes available to assist officials. The question is no longer whether VAR should be used in football, it's now about how we improve it to minimise delays to the game and maximise the benefits. Examples such as the decision yesterday show that referees are not able to deliver (consistently) the standard of officiating required in the modern day professional game, so it's all about helping them to get more decisions right. We'll probably never reach perfection, but anything that minimises mistakes, especially in critical games, should be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

there's no getting away from the responsibility to move with the times, especially when new technology becomes available to assist officials. The question is no longer whether VAR should be used in football, it's now about how we improve it to minimise delays to the game and maximise the benefits. Examples such as the decision yesterday show that referees are not able to deliver (consistently) the standard of officiating required in the modern day professional game, so it's all about helping them to get more decisions right. We'll probably never reach perfection, but anything that minimises mistakes, especially in critical games, should be welcomed.
    They could also find a way to actually add to the fan experience in it's use but as in most things, they seem ridgid and not prone to take external advice.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Just got back and seen the penalty . ****in cheated. We were at the other end so couldn't see if it was but fcuk me , it was an appalling decision . What didn't come over on the tv was how the crowd were getting on the refs back so he was just looking to give them something and boy, didn't he just. Great support from the Notts fans tonight , never stopped singing the whole game. Just one last word about the Coventry fans. Walking back to the car we were threatened and spat at by a group of up to 15 of them , a 55 year old bloke and a 12 year old kid . My lad was frightened to death. Well done you bunch of tossers , up there with Wolves fans.
    Dirty on and off the pitch. You expect more of the same on Friday from their chav fans.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Dirty on and off the pitch. You expect more of the same on Friday from their chav fans.
    Went to a Liverpool/Coventry game with my scouse mate in the late 90's and swore I would never go there again in my life, constant abuse during and after the game, we got rounded on in a small bar after the game by a bunch of at least 10, thank god the bouncer saw it and bungled us into a taxi.... a scary experience indeed

Was actually pleased with the way we played after watching it on tv today having gone to the game.

Coventry fans talking of a direct style of play, but even after rewatching it, I thought we mixed it up pretty well, direct at times passing it short at times, getting crosses in. No real hoofing the ball forward with no intent.

We are an organised team for our level and we were undone by a couple of pieces of quality which were of a higher quality than league two.

All in all we showed a good account of ourselves which has so often NOT been the case on tv these last few years. The club has come so far in a year just hope we can carry on building.

Hearing Coventry fans criticising the poor support, would much prefer to be in a crowd of 2,700 who sound like 4K than be in a crowd of 4K that can’t be heard. Was a really good atmosphere. Just hope we can replicate it at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I previoulsy wrote

'football seems to have looked at how it works in Rugby and Cricket, totally ignored it then found a way to use it incompetently'
    You’ve hit the nail on the head here for me. I think what Jackal quoted about “a bunch of bungling amateurs” seems quite apt when it comes to VAR.

I’d also agree that your later post is also spot on about taking external advice. It’s seems nonsensical to not look at other sports such as Rugby and see how video technology works and what has not worked for them.

As Jackal says it may never be perfect, but there is much improvement required.

I also think for the fan experience and wider feedback from clubs and their fans would not go amiss. Also at the general meetings leagues and clubs have they need to listen to managers, chairman, coaches and players themselves to look to how VAR can work for the best.

It’s such a big change to implement that it needs a combined effort for it to work effectively. The problem that will happen and may have already happened is rolling it out in its current format has created controversy and negatively surrounding it and that means it’s going to be difficult to change public opinion.

You’ve hit the nail on the head here for me. I think what Jackal quoted about “a bunch of bungling amateurs” seems quite apt when it comes to VAR.

I’d also agree that your later post is also spot on about taking external advice. It’s seems nonsensical to not look at other sports such as Rugby and see how video technology works and what has not worked for them.

As Jackal says it may never be perfect, but there is much improvement required.

I also think for the fan experience and wider feedback from clubs and their fans would not go amiss. Also at the general meetings leagues and clubs have they need to listen to managers, chairman, coaches and players themselves to look to how VAR can work for the best.

It’s such a big change to implement that it needs a combined effort for it to work effectively. The problem that will happen and may have already happened is rolling it out in its current format has created controversy and negatively surrounding it and that means it’s going to be difficult to change public opinion.
    The current method of using VAR is so clearly designed by a committee of too many. Perhaps it would be better to have a tight working group who actually understand the game, including fans.

Apologies if already mentioned as not read the whole thread but regarding VAR, if we are now at a point where we need to embrace technology in the game maybe the best way to do this is to only use it on a review basis like in cricket?

Each team gets one review per half?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast