+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa League Campaign 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by kkong View Post
    No. We would be unseeded for QR2.

Seeded for QR1.

If we reach QR3 we would be seeded because we would take our QR2 opponent's seeding due to the QR3 draw taking place before QR2 is complete.
    You’ve got this wrong.
    We were seeded in QR2 last year

UEFA should be embarrassed at how much they have c0cked up the European tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by 87kilos View Post
    UEFA should be embarrassed at how much they have c0cked up the European tournaments.
    All because they didn't have the balls to stand up to the major clubs 20 odd years ago.

Wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a 'second shot' round where seeded teams from the top 5 leagues get a replay if defeated by an unseeded team.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    You’ve got this wrong.
    We were seeded in QR2 last year
    The coefficient calculation method and competition format have both changed since last year.

Have another look at the seedings page of Bert's site. You will see we are confirmed in unseeded column for QR2.

I look forward to your apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    Sorry meant to add that same applies for Play Off round, which is drawn before QR3.

If I dream a little, probably best scenario if we want to make Group stages is easier seeded team in QR2, which gets us one of the better QR3 seeded teams, who we somehow manage to beat and we take their seeding into PO draw so we get easier tie in Play Off Round, which we then win and lo and behold we are in Group Stages. Easy!!!
    Definitely unseeded for QR2 and QR4/PO if we get there. Just look at Bert's pages if you don't understand.

Definitely unseeded for QR2 and QR4/PO if we get there. Just look at Bert's pages if you don't understand.
    Not sure if your reply is to my post or you meant it for afc1903 post but if mine I think we are at cross purposes. I fully understand we won't be seeded in QR2 assuming that is where we start. My post was trying to imagine what sort of seeded team we would want in QR2 to look forward to give us the best chance of making the Group stages given the way the draws are done before the prior round is complete so you "inherit" the seeding of the team you beat if a seeded team. If I have thought it through properly this is how I see it

19 June Drawn in QR2 against a team that will not be seeded in QR3 e.g. Dundalk of Ireland
    23 July Drawn in QR3 against a team that will be seeded in PO round e.g. AZ Alkamar of Netherlands
    26 July/2 August Play and win QR2 against Dundalk
    6 August Drawn in PO round against non-seeded team (because our QR3 opponent is seeded) take your pick from any team with low coefficient that has made it through to QR3 draw (so has to include a QR2 lowly seeded team and unseeded team) e.g. Zalgiris Vilnius of Lithuania v Sarpsborg of Norway
    9/16 August Play and win against AZ Alkamar
    23/30 August Play and win against Osijek/Sarpsborg

Hopefully I have thought that through properly, if so we would need the luck of the draw to avoid a team like Sevilla/Zenit in QR3 but if so its not an impossible task to make it through to Group stages - would need to beat one team clearly better than us like we did with Rijeka/Gronigen plus two teams of a similar standing that we have so far failed to do like Kairat/Maribor. I'm not saying it's easy by any stretch of the imagination but we can dream!!

Not sure if your reply is to my post or you meant it for afc1903 post but if mine I think we are at cross purposes. I fully understand we won't be seeded in QR2 assuming that is where we start. My post was trying to imagine what sort of seeded team we would want in QR2 to look forward to give us the best chance of making the Group stages given the way the draws are done before the prior round is complete so you "inherit" the seeding of the team you beat if a seeded team. If I have thought it through properly this is how I see it

19 June Drawn in QR2 against a team that will not be seeded in QR3 e.g. Dundalk of Ireland
    23 July Drawn in QR3 against a team that will be seeded in PO round e.g. AZ Alkamar of Netherlands
    6 August Drawn in PO round against non-seeded team (because our QR3 opponent is seeded) take your pick from any team with low coefficient that has made it through to QR3 draw (so has to include a QR2 lowly seeded team and unseeded team) e.g. Zalgiris Vilnius of Lithuania v Sarpsborg of Norway

Hopefully I have thought that through properly, if so we would need the luck of the draw to avoid a team like Sevilla/Zenit in QR3 but if so its not an impossible task to make it through to Group stages - would need to beat one team clearly better than us like we did with Rijeka/Gronigen plus two teams of a similar standing that we have so far failed to do like Kairat/Maribor. I'm not saying it's easy by any stretch of the imagination but we can dream!!
    Apologies, changed the PO opponent so 23/30 August should read beat Zalgiris/Sarpsborg

The coefficient calculation method and competition format have both changed since last year.

Have another look at the seedings page of Bert's site. You will see we are confirmed in unseeded column for QR2.

I look forward to your apology.
    Ok, so I see that we were seeded in QR2 last year as per my post, but changes this year mean that we are not seeded this year.
    Seeing as you feel the need for an apology, I apologise, I stand corrected.

Makes sense, but after QR3 is there still the Preliminary Round?
    Makes even more sense to hope Motherwell win the cup and give us an extra game against unseeded sides to get warmed up for the QR2 round, otherwise our first European game is against better seeded teams.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Makes sense, but after QR3 is there still the Preliminary Round?
    Makes even more sense to hope Motherwell win the cup and give us an extra game against unseeded sides to get warmed up for the QR2 round, otherwise our first European game is against better seeded teams.
    Yes there is a round after Q3 but it's called the Play Off round. There is a new round this year called the Preliminary Round which is before QR1, but only 14 diddy teams start in it. So to get to the Group Stages we need to win 3 ties if Celtic win the cup or 4 if Motherwell win

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast