+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: Europa League Campaign 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I did look at the list earlier and think " not Istanbul"
    Called it earlier as a team to avoid.
    Definitely the worst possibility again from the draw.

If DM plays considine at LB then its suicide!

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros39 View Post
    If DM plays considine at LB then its suicide!
    He will be playing left back unfortunately....Del likes to give teams a fair crack of the whip.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    That have a game away to Preston tonight.
    Named a strong team.
    At least 9 (if not more) will be their line up against us.
    Drawing 1-1 at HT.
    Aaron Lennon scored for them.
    Burnley won 3-2 with a late goal against decent Championship team who drew 2-2 with West Ham on Saturday. Apparently, Derek McInnes was there and striker Lewis Moult came on for Preston with 20-odd minutes left.

Burnley's starting XI - all substituted after 55 mins - may well start at Pittodrie on Thursday.

4-4-1-1: Heaton (GK and capt): Lowton. Tarkowski, Mee, Ward; Lennon, Cork, Westwood, Gudmundsson; Hendrick; Vokes.

Belgian international Steven Defour, our best player, is definitely out with a calf injury and winger Robbie Brady is being nursed back slowly after a bad knee injury and very unlikely to even make the bench. Strikers Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes both have minor niggles and might make the bench.

Barnes would be particularly missed - he was our most improved player last season and his combative style terrorised the majority of Premier League centre-halves.

Quote Originally Posted by lancyclaret View Post
    Burnley won 3-2 with a late goal against decent Championship team who drew 2-2 with West Ham on Saturday. Apparently, Derek McInnes was there and striker Lewis Moult came on for Preston with 20-odd minutes left.

Burnley's starting XI - all substituted after 55 mins - may well start at Pittodrie on Thursday.

4-4-1-1: Heaton (GK and capt): Lowton. Tarkowski, Mee, Ward; Lennon, Cork, Westwood, Gudmundsson; Hendrick; Vokes.

Belgian international Steven Defour, our best player, is definitely out with a calf injury and winger Robbie Brady is being nursed back slowly after a bad knee injury and very unlikely to even make the bench. Strikers Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes both have minor niggles and might make the bench.

Barnes would be particularly missed - he was our most improved player last season and his combative style terrorised the majority of Premier League centre-halves.
    Our left back (no.4 Andy Considine) is the slowest thing on two legs.
    He’s a centre half turned into a left back.
    And it shows.
    Aaron Lennon will tear him a new a*sehole.
    Imagine Ben Mee playing left back, and being up against a whippet.

I take it Burnley got nae injuries could do with Lennon doing a hammy

though my standard view on home/away ties is target man / poacher type in home games and fast players to play on the break (one area the pundits always get it wring, with 'big man up front away to hold up the ball????? you want to break very quickly when you have little possession, hitting on counter as they push up the park, thus why would you slow it down with a target man???), i think i would be tempted to accept that they may dominate possession on Thursday and play McGinn or Wright up top on their own. I am worried about their relative (lennon bombed in later years at spurs and everton, but still several classes above us ) strength regarding pace in wide areas and think we could be hurt if we push on to them. Yes there will be the 'expectation' that we 'go at them' but this just seems foolish to me. Keep it tight, hit on the break, i would be happy with a 0 0 and do the same again next thursday.

We are massive underdogs here and should set up appropriately imo

B'ollocks

Get stuck into them, tear them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Our left back (no.4 Andy Considine) is the slowest thing on two legs.
    He’s a centre half turned into a left back.
    And it shows.
    Aaron Lennon will tear him a new a*sehole.
    Imagine Ben Mee playing left back, and being up against a whippet.
    Ben Mee plays at centre half now but I get your point. Fantastic defender - probably Burnley's best - but a speedster like Wilfried Zaha used to cause him problems when he was playing LB.

Lennon's playing well in pre-season - scored in last two matches, but we do have injury worries.

Steven Defour, our No 1 player, misses out with a calf injury while Robbie Brady is unlikely to feature as he builds up his fitness after a long-term knee injury. Strikers Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes have "niggles" and may not be risked. Most teams try to "rough him up" like Preston did in a pre-season friendly on Monday. The then non-league Lincoln City put him out for 3 months in their FA Cup shock in in 2017.

With Defour & Brady out, we lack a bit of "flair and creativity" but the dangerman (if there is one) to the Dons will probably be Gudmundsson, our Icelandic World Cup player.
    Last edited by lancyclaret; 25-07-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Uefa is plotting to introduce a third competition to sit alongside the Champions League and the Europa League, according to reports. The heads of European football want to bring in the new tournament to give more clubs from smaller nations the chance to play on the continental stage.
    Now this might be affa radical, but fit about calling it something like ...say... the Cup Winners Cup?

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast