+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Squad for next season!

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Just because they have contracts doesn't mean they're all staying? I hope
    Scobbie and the Edge have been told to find new clubs..

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...ive-clear-out/

Was Durnan part of the malaise that’s effected the club recently? It’s been reported on here “Arabdad” reporting on Scott Macdonald’s attitude to Csaba and we also saw Flood’s reaction at his red card.

It appears that Luggy’s influence is starting to take bite. I remember reading he had trouble at St Johnstone with players & Fergie’s advise was to punt the troublemakers and bring in players who listened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Quit when you're losing LS What the lads are saying is he's not good enough overall and we need better.
    Being better than Murdoch Edge and Scobbie does not make a player good enough to be a mainstay at CB for us in a promotion winning season. Csaba actually will know this, Luggy will know it, so wait on the new players coming in
    That kinda sums things up for me. I was one of Durnans biggest fans for the level we are at, but if there is better coming in and are able to prove that, then it will be, Mark Who? at the end of the season.

Is it fair to say that Csaba has probably cleared house of all those that stood against him last season? Might explain why Durnan was allowed to go without much of a struggle

Not sure Durnan was one of the dissenting figures - it was probably just time

Heard tonight that Callum Morris has been offered a contract from us. Only what i have heard, dont shoot the messenger

Quote Originally Posted by wardy13 View Post
    Heard tonight that Callum Morris has been offered a contract from us. Only what i have heard, dont shoot the messenger
    Supposedly in leaving Dunfermline he wanted to pursue contacts down in England.

Great signing IMO if we can get him

Great defender for us, especially with big Jaro beside him, but very injury prone. Was gutted we missed out on O’Ware think he would of been a better signing than Morris. But a Morris Moshni pairing would fix that.

Unless we have three quality centre-halves lined up I'd have been keeping Durnan ahead of the others that are left. Not all the signings we have made the past couple of seasons have been dire, but they have been made to look a lot worse by McKinnons dreadfully imbalanced squads, the first season having virtually no pace or width or a target man, and last season building a leightweight squad that could only play one style of football, and again without a targetman or right back.

Have to admit I'm underwhelmed by our signings so far, partly because I can't really recall any of them, plus they have all come from either sides that we finished above or have been relegated, and they all just happen to be available, which doesn't necessarily show much imagination or suggest we have better options.

I'm not writing them off either though, as said I don't know the players well enough (the right back sounds encouraging), and a team is the sum of its parts. If we can get a balanced squad and supplement these signings with some quality then we might be ok, but given our inability to get even the basics right in our squad building the past couple of seasons (please don't have Murdoch lining up centre half on the first day of the season), I am very much wait and see at the moment.

I like the appointments of Sturrock and Easton, although perhaps limited as a player Easton always had a good attitude and struck me as fairly intelligent guy who cared when he played for us, and didn't come out with the football clichés when interviewed. The Bowman appointment I'm not so sure about, and it's a fairly important role.

recruitment in the last few years has been beyond shocking! going all the way back to the relegation season.

signings for the last years have either been past it players coming for a last pay day before retiring, players who "were decent at other clubs" or signed for the sake of signing. We've had no real strategy in place for signings. Taylor was brought in to improve this but ended up with similar type of signings who no real improvement to the squad.

the signings so far seem to suggest a different approach is being taken. getting in players who are still young enough, needing to prove people wrong or know all about the division. if we can add a few more similar types of signings im confident of seeing a different united under CL.

Easton coming in as Under20s is great piece of business imo. highly respected not just in scotland plus has a connection to the club. done a good job with raiths youth so should be a decent appointment. tbh moving Bowman away from coaching is a good move as he isnt exactly got a great Reputation for being a good coach.

Happy enough with the business so far hope it continues and shows on the pitch!

Well we seem to be in pre-season now with a squad that looks like this which i will base on the 2 player per position comment.

GK, Rakovan, Siegrist.
    LB, Booth, Robson.
    RB, Wardrop, Murdoch(may be a CB?).
    CB, Frans so 2/3 more needed.
    CM, Stanton, Rabitsch, Allardice so 1 more needed.
    L/RW, Aird, McMullan, King so 1 more needed.
    FW, Curran, Clark, Keatings, Smith.

Deniz is player 23 and on the injured list and i see Toshney is still considered as injured but i dont know where to fit him into the squad. Fyvie is i think being considered as having a place, although i think this is a mistake and would be happy with a 6m/year loanee that could fill that position.

I also wonder if Edje and Scobbie are taking up a position in the squad, although i doubt we will be having to move them out to get others in as yet!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)