+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Classic Nolan performance

Classic Nolan performance

Notts fans seem to be confused between skill and effort. You can't fault the effort and organisation, and I certainly got carried away with it but looking back my nagging Nolan doubts resurface.

For instance was he the only person in the ground not to notice that Forte was done after 75 minutes? He finally subbed him in the 95th minute, when the bloke could hardly stand up!! If Forte wants to bring a private prosecution for assault I'll be a witness.

It's not like Nolan didn't have options but no instead on a heavy pitch he leaves a hobbling man up front. 1-0 up with 20 mins to go how about bringing on the energy of Milsom and push Allesandra up front? Nope we will stick with the player who can hardly run thanks!

Nolan built a really interesting squad, it's actually full of options, but he doesn't play to it. To be fair tonight deserved a bit of hoof ball, however when we put it on the floor we showed promise (take a look at our goal). We all know that Forte was only on the pitch tonight because Stead got injured a few weeks ago, Mr Nolan hasn't been bothered with him all season. Forte scoring the winning goal at Wembley to take us up wasn't the plan. We all know that, right?

The bottom line is I believe Nolan wants to play long ball. Often managers do it because they have to but actually we do have some talent on the ground. An attacking midfielder who made the League team of the season for instance.

Unfortunately he spends most of the game watching the ball go over his head, living on scraps.

I'm not saying Nolan ain't done a decent job, but his limitations are there for all to see and at times it's frustrating to watch.

Notts fans were amazing by the way. Bring on Friday, COYP!

Nah.

Some points I get, but you're just nit picking here.

When Nolan moves on in a year (or even earlier) and wins the championship with Bolton, you'll be eating all these words and regurgitating them back up your wind pipe.

He's 35, young, passionate and has great experience as a player. We need to keep him long term. He will make mistakes, but I'm prepared to overlook them due to the impact he has on the team. He will be a success at some point soon, whether it be with us or a club higher up.

I'm personally dreading the day he disappears.

Keep the faith bro.

Plus, personally, I'm really effing bored of the managerial carousel at this club and what's wrong with long ball in League 2?

Quote Originally Posted by pielover View Post
    Notts fans seem to be confused between skill and effort. You can't fault the effort and organisation, and I certainly got carried away with it but looking back my nagging Nolan doubts resurface.

For instance was he the only person in the ground not to notice that Forte was done after 75 minutes? He finally subbed him in the 95th minute, when the bloke could hardly stand up!! If Forte wants to bring a private prosecution for assault I'll be a witness.

It's not like Nolan didn't have options but no instead on a heavy pitch he leaves a hobbling man up front. 1-0 up with 20 mins to go how about bringing on the energy of Milsom and push Allesandra up front? Nope we will stick with the player who can hardly run thanks!

Nolan built a really interesting squad, it's actually full of options, but he doesn't play to it. To be fair tonight deserved a bit of hoof ball, however when we put it on the floor we showed promise (take a look at our goal). We all know that Forte was only on the pitch tonight because Stead got injured a few weeks ago, Mr Nolan hasn't been bothered with him all season. Forte scoring the winning goal at Wembley to take us up wasn't the plan. We all know that, right?

The bottom line is I believe Nolan wants to play long ball. Often managers do it because they have to but actually we do have some talent on the ground. An attacking midfielder who made the League team of the season for instance.

Unfortunately he spends most of the game watching the ball go over his head, living on scraps.

I'm not saying Nolan ain't done a decent job, but his limitations are there for all to see and at times it's frustrating to watch.

Notts fans were amazing by the way. Bring on Friday, COYP!
    Similar comments to Charlie and Stall after the game......when we play it around on the ground, we actually look pretty good, look at the cracking goal....but our fallback position is to kick it long, high and hard.

We are a team in transition and Nolo is a new, young manager....but we appear to be stuck between the myth of "the long ball is the only way to succeed" (did anyone tell Accy, Luton or Wycombe?)....and "wow, we can actually pass the ball 10 yards effectively"

Bags of effort in the 2nd half, superb goal from Forte.....please just get us out of this division Nolo, so we have the summer to think how we want to play next season.

Disclaimer - Tarkers is a Goat Bandit and hasn't a clue what he is talking about......except that he was correct about Superman Forte!!

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Similar comments to Charlie and Stall after the game......when we play it around on the ground, we actually look pretty good, look at the cracking goal....but our fallback position is to kick it long, high and hard.

We are a team in transition and Nolo is a new, young manager....but we appear to be stuck between the myth of "the long ball is the only way to succeed" (did anyone tell Accy, Luton or Wycombe?)....and "wow, we can actually pass the ball 10 yards effectively"

Bags of effort in the 2nd half, superb goal from Forte.....please just get us out of this division Nolo, so we have the summer to think how we want to play next season.

Disclaimer - Tarkers is a Goat Bandit and hasn't a clue what he is talking about......except that he was correct about Superman Forte!!
    Is a goat bandit more serious than a bum bandit?

Last night was an effective away performance against a team who finished the season with momentum, we should have won for God's sake. The football isn't pretty in the most part but seemed to work lastnight. Look if Nolan gets us out this league who the hell cares how he does it, it's not like he'll be here for long, next season at the most. It's nice to see Forte get a run out for seasons end, like him or not, the alternative of Shola and Stead is worse.

I thought we looked a very good team for the last hour of that. Went long when necessary, but also played it out short when we had the chance. It defies belief that Forte and Jones were left out of the side for long spells this season. My only criticism would be that we didn’t get a second goal when to be fair, Cov were all over the place.

I didn’t notice that Forte was knackered, is there any news on whether he’s badly injured or not?
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 13-05-2018 at 08:53 AM.

I think Nolan's plan is to keep it tight in the first half and then play more in the second. Pretty much every home game this season, I go into half time thinking 'how the **** are we near the top of the table?', and then we go out in the second and win the game. It works well, but it isn't pretty.

Nolan has turned this club around. I can take long-ball tactics if it means big nights like last night. COYP.

Good OP. I saw that Forte had run himself into the ground and was thinking we should give him a rest. He's too important to our chances to risk, especially if we get to Wembley. Let's hope it's nothing serious.