+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: if we go up

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I think we are at cross purposes mate , I'm quoting the revenue received from the play off competition but I'm guessing you are referring to winning the play offs and the tv revenue a league higher for the next season .
    I think it’s for winning if u watch charlton match around 80 mins it tells you 7 million is the difference in winning and losing the final.

That’s me quoting it, but like I said I’m not sure what it means

unless we go non league rotherham will never be self sufficient we just haven't got the fanbase.

how can you be on 10 to 12 thousand supporters a week (in the championship!)

so I think when Tony Stewart came in he realised he would have to subsidise the club.

a football club is a rich mans toy.

unless you are a top world wide club people don't get involved to make money.

the only way tony Stewart will ever get anything back without selling the ground or having a Alan shearer is by the club been a success

animal you say the club generated 24 million from sales but you spent only a third of it.

from the 24 million worth talent you sold how much did those players cost Barnsley in the first place

how much of that was stone

Quote Originally Posted by welovebooth View Post
    animal you say the club generated 24 million from sales but you spent only a third of it.

from the 24 million worth talent you sold how much did those players cost Barnsley in the first place

how much of that was stone
    John Stones academy £7m add on clause when he moved to Man City from Everton

James Bree academy - £3.5m

Connor Hourihane £250k - £3.5m

Alfie Mawson Free - £6.5m
    15% add on clause should he leave Swansea

Marc Roberts £25k - £3m

Sam Winnall £250k - £600k

Total spend £550k

Total received £24.1m

animal that's a good bit of business that will prob be never repeated with those kind of profit margins.

animal that's a good bit of business that will prob be never repeated with those kind of profit margins.
    I sincerely hope not mate on many levels .

can I just check before tony Stewart bought a football club he realised he had to spend money on it

bit like buying a unleaded car but not wanting to pay for petrol
    So the answer to my question is that you think it is just Stewart that should shell out?

I’m sure that when he acquired the club he would appreciate that he would have to pay money in to keep it afloat – it’s what most football club owners in this country have to do – the question is whether he appreciated that he would have to pay ever increasing amounts to achieve the level of success that you want that is the issue.

A football debate with kerr , wow , it is my birthday today after all .

The lower league gem and academy market is all about finding and moving players on for a profit and not necessarily linked to success on a football field .

In our case it was a policy to become self sufficient and not reliant on Patrick plugging the financial holes .

It's something Rotherham need to be aware of because Tony Stewart won't be around for ever and wealthy local owner fans are not exactly ten a penny in south yorkshire .

Our club personally will always struggle to remain in the championship , nothing's changed but at least at the moment we are in a good place financially and the relegation hit on revenue can be managed .

Selling your top talent is the price you pay to remain solvent and hopefully competitive a league lower .

Its not easy to accept but clearly its the only way , Rotherham need to plan for when Tony steps down in my opinion .
    I know nowt about football and so tend to steer clear of the subject.

I appreciate the purpose of the 'lower league gem and academy market' is to try to achieve a degree of self-funding so as to take some of the financial burden off the owners of the club. As I think you point out elsewhere, the last set of accounts showed that the club owed Cryne about £9 million representing the operating loss at the club.

My point is that the strategies are risky and if they were a sure fire way to keep a club in the black every club would be doing it. Barnsley have had some success in doing it in the last couple of years, but I would have a small bet that the club won't be able to replicate that given the level of pure luck involved.

John Stones academy £7m add on clause when he moved to Man City from Everton

James Bree academy - £3.5m

Connor Hourihane £250k - £3.5m

Alfie Mawson Free - £6.5m
    15% add on clause should he leave Swansea

Marc Roberts £25k - £3m

Sam Winnall £250k - £600k

Total spend £550k

Total received £24.1m
    £550k wasn't the total spend. The academy didn't run itself and the players involved were paid throughout their time at the club. In addition, how much was spent on players in the academy who didn't make the grade?

That's kind of my point; it's easy to talk about the 'profit' made - and I'm certain that Barnsley would have made some on those deals, but it's simplistic and wrong to take the figure to be the simple transfer fee received less cost of acquisition figure that is adopted on Tykes Mad.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast