+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Statement - Wants Rafa to Stay

Ashley Statement - Wants Rafa to Stay

Statement in full - basically what you'd expect?

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has thanked Rafa Benítez, the players and the club’s supporters following the club’s tenth-place finish in the Premier League.

The Magpies secured a place in the top half with a 3-0 victory over Chelsea at St. James’ Park on Sunday.

The owner said: “I would like to thank Rafa Benitez for his magnificent achievement this season.

“I would also like to applaud the players, led fantastically by the captain Jamaal Lascelles.

“On many occasions throughout the season they have been described as a Championship side, which I personally consider to be derogatory.

“Rafa, as always, has my full support, and contrary to some media reports that portray me as a pantomime villain, I will continue to ensure that every penny generated by the club is available to him.

“I hope very much that Rafa will remain at Newcastle United.

“Finally, I would like to thank the fans for their unrivalled support of Rafa and the team throughout the season.”

sounds very much like when he stated "Kevin Keegan has not been sacked" hoping that people would blame Keegan for walking.

I wish we could trust the bloke.

That's how I see it mick.If Rafa walks it's down to Rafa,if he stays it's down to Ashley.Not anywhere in that statement will it be Ashleys fault if Rafa isn't here next season.
    Well if Rafa isn't here next season I for one will know where to lay the blame.

There should be a reasonable amount of money to spend considering the TV deal + sale of Mitro. With money spent wisely we could have a decent team next year. The top six are the top six now for a few years, realistically too 8, a good go at the cups, and find a a
    Way into the Europa League is what we should be competing for, if Rafa stays with money to spend.

More of the same - empty words pointing out the obvious without any substance. Quandry for big Mike is the same as it ever was. Does he want to push on or not? If so, he needs to get the piggy bank opened. Simple as. If he doesn't, goodbye Rafa.

No hiding place this time round. He could have had top 7 this year if he had listened to his manager last summer. You know, the one with the football knowledge who he trusted to appoint for that experience.

Well done the lads today though, fkn hell.

The only interesting part of the statement is that he repeated the 'every penny' promise again.

Of course this'll include wages, agents fees and other costs but someone who has seen the books should have an idea how much Rafa will get this Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    The only interesting part of the statement is that he repeated the 'every penny' promise again.

Of course this'll include wages, agents fees and other costs but someone who has seen the books should have an idea how much Rafa will get this Summer.
    He rightly singled out Lascelles for praise and took offence to the team being described as "championship". Shop window time for Lascelles? Is he suggesting the team is good enough as it is without investment.

Significant? Maybe not.

Are our accounts out yet? I remember reading a couple of weeks ago they were well late. More shyte from Ashley. Actions speak louder than words ‘pantomime villain’ you’re treading a very very fine line.

If he sticks to his word that can only be a good thing

Picking up the phone and actually talking to Rafa every now and then would be better than putting out press statements regarding rafas contract

It’s good to talk

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    He rightly singled out Lascelles for praise and took offence to the team being described as "championship". Shop window time for Lascelles? Is he suggesting the team is good enough as it is without investment.

Significant? Maybe not.
    Finishing 10th might actually work against us as the fat controller might be thinking look weve got to 10th and ive invested nowt,great this like. Youve all probably had the same thoughts, based on ashleys track record. Lets hope he has finally seen sense eh,(fingers crossed)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)