+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Manager

New Manager

I'm torn. Big Dave did so well in the last few games that he has given his credibility a huge boost. But does that mean he should get the job on a full time basis? That's a hard one to call.

In his favour:
    The players seem to like him. I have even heard somewhere that some players wont ask to leave if he stays. But that of course depends on who will stay if he stays.
    He's Albion "through and through". That gives him credibility with the fans but only makes it all the more painful when he is inevitably fired at some point. Maybe we would hang on to him for too long if it goes sideways.
    He knows the championship very well.
    He's done very well in the games he was in charge in a very difficult situation. This cannot be discounted.

Against him:
    He's English/British. That shouldn't be a negative but all three managers who went up last season were foreign. In all probability two of the three who go up this season will be foreign (assuming Fulham go up, which on paper they should). Two of the three teams going down have British managers and it was very nearly all three. Last season, all three teams that went down had British managers though Middlesbrough started the year with a Spanish manager. Is the era of the British manager over? Are they not good enough? Are British managers doomed to only manage less fashionable teams with less fashionable styles of play? Seems like it sometimes. And even if you do manage to land a half decent English manager, the next thing you know the FA steals him to become the latest failure as England manager.
    I don't know what Big Dave's tactical skills are. He more or less followed what Pulis did, only he got results. Were his results a fluke? Was he only doing that because he did not have time or personnel to do anything else or is this a taste of what is to come from him. I know the Palace game was hardly a good measure of anything, but why not put on more of a show? I would rather lose 7-4 in an exciting game that meant nothing than what we saw today. So the jury's still out for me on his tactical abilities.

So all in all, if I were making this decision, unless Big Dave could convince me that he is very progressive, tactically astute and more European that English in his approach, I would be looking long and hard at some up and coming foreign manager who could completely change the approach, the team, the personnel, everything, before I chose Big Dave.

Scots make good managers or they used to. Depends what type of manager you want, a sergeant major or an artiste. English managers who play the beautiful game, yet can be ruthless and not "one of the boys," are rare, but Dean Smith has that pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by Calgarybaggy View Post
    I'm torn. Big Dave did so well in the last few games that he has given his credibility a huge boost. But does that mean he should get the job on a full time basis? That's a hard one to call.

In his favour:
    The players seem to like him. I have even heard somewhere that some players wont ask to leave if he stays. But that of course depends on who will stay if he stays.
    He's Albion "through and through". That gives him credibility with the fans but only makes it all the more painful when he is inevitably fired at some point. Maybe we would hang on to him for too long if it goes sideways.
    He's done very well in the games he was in charge in a very difficult situation. This cannot be discounted.

Against him:
    He's English/British. That shouldn't be a negative but all three managers who went up last season were foreign. In all probability two of the three who go up this season will be foreign (assuming Fulham go up, which on paper they should). Two of the three teams going down have British managers and it was very nearly all three. Last season, all three teams that went down had British managers though Middlesbrough started the year with a Spanish manager. Is the era of the British manager over? Are they not good enough? Are British managers doomed to only manage less fashionable teams with less fashionable styles of play? Seems like it sometimes. And even if you do manage to land a half decent English manager, the next thing you know the FA steals him to become the latest failure as England manager.
    I don't know what Big Dave's tactical skills are. He more or less followed what Pulis did, only he got results. Were his results a fluke? Was he only doing that because he did not have time or personnel to do anything else or is this a taste of what is to come from him. I know the Palace game was hardly a good measure of anything, but why not put on more of a show? I would rather lose 7-4 in an exciting game that meant nothing than what we saw today. So the jury's still out for me on his tactical abilities.

So all in all, if I were making this decision, unless Big Dave could convince me that he is very progressive, tactically astute and more European that English in his approach, I would be looking long and hard at some up and coming foreign manager who could completely change the approach, the team, the personnel, everything, before I chose Big Dave.
    Anglophobe!

The answer is Pearson and Shakespeare for progression and a rapid return to the top flight

Everyone shouting the odds for Darren Moore, but how much was down to Cutler and Shan no one seems to take their input into consideration.

I reckon 'Big Dave' could easily become a 'Big Rodney'...what do you reckon Trig?

Worst case scenario, Brentford will want compensation, Albion being Albion will give it to Big Dave who will be sacked in November, and the likes of Smith, Johnson and Potter will have been snapped up by more ambitious clubs.
    Why do i feel this is the inevitable?

If Albion were a bloke at a dance;
    Hi gorgeous can i buy you a drink?
    Go away.
    OK.

My personal opinion on this is its not so much the manager it down to Mr Lai whether he is going spend the cash to support any manager we have , i really think the coats family at Stoke & with Swansea's chairman they will put money in will ours ? Then we need a good tean on & off the pitch then we have a chance if he don't i fear for us for a long time . Would love Roy Hodgson as manager again in my opinion he's top bloke but we would never get him again .

Quote Originally Posted by Calgarybaggy View Post

In his favour:

Against him:

Hang on, two caps for Jamaica 😎

True dat SB.

Re your comment 55, the only thing wrong there is we wouldn't be offering to buy the drink, we'd ask her to buy it, claiming to have lost our wallet again.

The fact we dithered in sacking the complete c??? pardew until "HE" settled for less shows that this Jenkins bloke is no different from JP.

I love BD, but he is not the manager for us at the moment, he needs to go and prove himself elsewhere, and we need someone who knows the 2nd tier and can handle the problems to come like unhappy players wanting out etc.

I've said for a while that it should be Dean Smith, as long as he can bring with him his Moneyball brains who help the bees find the likes of Jota, vibe and Tarwaoski (wrong spelling, but at Burnley now).

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    True dat SB.

Re your comment 55, the only thing wrong there is we wouldn't be offering to buy the drink, we'd ask her to buy it, claiming to have lost our wallet again.

The fact we dithered in sacking the complete c??? pardew until "HE" settled for less shows that this Jenkins bloke is no different from JP.

I love BD, but he is not the manager for us at the moment, he needs to go and prove himself elsewhere, and we need someone who knows the 2nd tier and can handle the problems to come like unhappy players wanting out etc.

I've said for a while that it should be Dean Smith, as long as he can bring with him his Moneyball brains who help the bees find the likes of Jota, vibe and Tarwaoski (wrong spelling, but at Burnley now).

Totally agree, and I do blame Jenkins for dithering and this was to save money for getting rid of Pardew. Worries me too, that they have flown to China as surely Jenkins should be entrusted with making decisions as opposed to flying across the world to present decisions to a guy who has no idea about football - owner or not!

Let the clear out begin...............

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)