+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: BARNSLEY F.C. Transfer rumours

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'm keeping my powder dry and I'll see what transpires before the first game against Oxford .

It's all a bit hear say at the moment .

A bit of speculative debate keeps the close season interesting mate

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Totally agree. It was more my annoyance about the club letting this happen that tapered my enthusiasm for the 16/17 season and still leaves a bad taste to this day. I think that summer was a bigger contribution to where we find ourselves now than january 17 to be honest. If the club had an idea Hourihane, Winnall, Watkins and Scowen would be tootling off they should have spent money on better reinforcements than Kpekawa, Moncur, Bradshaw and Payne.

All in the past now though. If we keep this squad together we'll have a cracking chance next season. That said it's player power rearing it's ugly head again.
    The thing is steve , Mawson , Hourihane , Bree and Winnall were not on anybody's radar in the summer of 2016 and weren't worth anything like the fees we managed to attain .

If the club really valued and believed in that promotion winning group they should have invested in them and offered them contract extensions .

They ended up doing absolutely nothing , which was par for the course under the previous owner .

The thing is steve , Mawson , Hourihane , Bree and Winnall were not on anybody's radar in the summer of 2016 and weren't worth anything like the fees we managed to attain .

If the club really valued and believed in that promotion winning group they should have invested in them and offered them contract extensions .

They ended up doing absolutely nothing , which was par for the course under the previous owner .

They were offered deals though and refused to sign according to Cryne. They were advised by agents they could get bigger money elsewhere.
    Cryne was unwilling to put the club in the red keeping those players on with big contracts which was understandable at the time. However, i look at the Sam Morsy situation when we were in the top half of the championship and cringe a lot. We let a good un slip through our fingers there.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    They were offered deals though and refused to sign according to Cryne. They were advised by agents they could get bigger money elsewhere.
    Cryne was unwilling to put the club in the red keeping those players on with big contracts which was understandable at the time. However, i look at the Sam Morsy situation when we were in the top half of the championship and cringe a lot. We let a good un slip through our fingers there.
    It's a difficult one to assess pass , one or two of the players played down the talk of them receiving offers from the club .

Two things stick in my mind as well as the Morsy debacle as you alluded to from that period .

Firstly I remember the club stating they weren't under any pressure to sell the players who were coming in to their final year under contract , secondly Patrick Cryne admitted the club made a huge error in letting Roberts go to Birmingham , which suggests at least with Marc there was room for negotiation and an improved deal .

If the players walked off the pitch at Wembley in May 2016 and instantly demanded £25k a week then the club were right not to enter in to negotiations .

My point is that the players stock wasn't that high and I'd have liked to have seen a genuine effort made following promotion to build on that success .

My own personal view is that possibly token offers were made and that set the tone for their departures .

The club shot themselves in the foot. The Head Coach had advised the club, that to stop losing players on the cheap, they should offer better money before they get to the last year of their contracts.

Bree, Roberts and Scowen would have definitely signed was his feeling.

Scowen, who arguably had been our most consistent and better players was only offered same or slightly better terms that he signed for from Wycombe. That upset him and rightly so but he just got on with it until his contract ran out.

Houriane and Winnall went about it wrong, after we got promoted they demanded better contracts. Club said No !!! Winnall sulked and Houriane just got on knowing he was in the shop window.

We had the nucleus of a good Championship side the year after we came up, the club didn’t listen, they asset stripped the club as the players had all the power!!

For me we should have integrated the lower league players gradually in to a team of established players. If we had to sacrifice one good player to keep the majority each year so be it.

But that’s not what we do!!!

It's a difficult one to assess pass , one or two of the players played down the talk of them receiving offers from the club .

Two things stick in my mind as well as the Morsy debacle as you alluded to from that period .

Firstly I remember the club stating they weren't under any pressure to sell the players who were coming in to their final year under contract , secondly Patrick Cryne admitted the club made a huge error in letting Roberts go to Birmingham , which suggests at least with Marc there was room for negotiation and an improved deal .

If the players walked off the pitch at Wembley in May 2016 and instantly demanded £25k a week then the club were right not to enter in to negotiations .

My point is that the players stock wasn't that high and I'd have liked to have seen a genuine effort made following promotion to build on that success .

My own personal view is that possibly token offers were made and that set the tone for their departures .
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment Animal. Maybe we did what we did because we found a group of successful young players and the club thought that they could emulate that but as we know there's no magic formula, especially in the championship

The difference between this crop and the last lot is quality, and real value.
    Hourihane, Winnall, Scowen, Roberts & Bree all probably trippled their wages and moved to clubs that had the potential to gain promotion.
    If Moore, Bradshaw, Lindsay etc did get a move to the Championship they wouldn't get much more money, and they might not get regular starts in clubs struggling to stay up.
    If they stayed and we added to the squad they could be part of a promotion push.
    I'd give us another year if I was them.

If you look at the majority of our squad, we have an experienced L1 group of players. A lot of them have previously played with clubs, including the Reds, who were in L1. There is no reason why we should sell any of our players. We can fight off any reasonable bids. They are on long term contracts apart from maybe Bradshaw who has a year left on his. We should keep Bradshaw till end of next season. If we get promoted then he can either go for nowt or sign another contract with us if he wishes.
    Last edited by asbin; 23-06-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Hull interested in Adam Davies

Morsy was offered more money to stay at Wigan after terms were agreed by us. He chose to stay at Wigan. Nothing to do with BFC as we would not offer anymore money after he agreed our terms.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast