+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BARNSLEY F.C. Transfer rumours

See what happens , we haven’t sold them yet but they may have release clauses in their contract so we may have no choice

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    See what happens , we haven’t sold them yet but they may have release clauses in their contract so we may have no choice
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Wigan & Blackburn managed it

By letting players of their proven L1 ability go it sends a message to the fans & the rest of the squad

Do you think for one moment if say we got £1 million each for them we would go out & spend the £2 million

No siree we would not

We're Barnsley mate it's not what we do

BTW I think Moore signed for 3 years didn't he? or I may be mistaken
    Yes Moore has another three years left on his contract but it's rumoured to have various clauses in it mate.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Interesting thoughts Steve. Goathairs track record in buying players doesn't exactly inspire though. Should we let proven lg1 goalscorers leave and then let goathair try and paper over the cracks with 2 likely lads as replacements then how can we seriously expect promotion? It's all well and good stating that we are a big fish in this division but that means absolutely nothing. We're as big as our budget allows us to be. What is the budget by the way? Is it big enough to find credible replacements should the strikers leave?

Personally I think it would be idiotic to sell any of our players just now if we're serious about getting promotion, especially the strikers. The squad has had a years experience playing together, we've cleared out the players who the board didn't want to retain, we're set to crack on. Unfortunately it was a bridge too far last season for these players, we were slightly out of our depth and found life very tough but I'm sure we learned a lot. However, If we can add 2 or 3 decent signings then I think we've half a chance. Sell our proven goalscorers on the other hand then tha simply asking for trouble.

9000 season ticket holders deserve to see the best team possible out there that gives us the best chance.
    Agree but what if the players desire to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Agree but what if the players desire to leave?

True mate that is a factor and there's also possibly a release clause as ESR alluded to. Tough decisions to be made but certain people darn theear are paid to make these decisions.

As for players wanting to better themselves, well there's nowt wrong wi that but it works both ways for me. The way i see it is that theres a principle here and none of our boys exactly covered themselves in any type of glory last season did they? I mean Mcburnie winning supporters player of the year after only being here 4 months says it all.

The club has given them long term contracts and after last season you'd have thought many of them would have a point to prove not only to themselves but also the supporters and to the football club to repay the faith the club has shown in them. Jumping ship isn't always the answer to bettering yourself and who's to say our players couldn't achieve their ambitions with us? Having said that there's no moral code of ethics in football these days that suggests many players would stay and help reinstate the club in the championship. The reality is that if a bigger wages offer comes in they'd leave

Ive heard it said that McBurnie won the Poty award for his goals alone, and certainly not for his work rate and effort!. Well this subject often comes up on here, we do want goals more than anything else from our strikers.
    Id like to know who these players are who want to allegedly better themselves and stay in the Champship. And even more so, do they actually think they deserve to be in that league after last seasons appalling showing ?.

I think that there's a certain irony regarding players not signing new deals etc. Before the 16/17 season. Hourihane, Winnall made it known they weren't going to sign new deals with the club and were possibly going to run their contracts down. Should the rebuild have been done that summer? As Scowen, Watkins were out of contract the following summer aswell.

You could argue we would have come straight back down had we sold Hourihane and Winnall that summer. However, the events of january 17 and what transpired afterwards make me think we should have rebuilt in the first summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I think that there's a certain irony regarding players not signing new deals etc. Before the 16/17 season. Hourihane, Winnall made it known they weren't going to sign new deals with the club and were possibly going to run their contracts down. Should the rebuild have been done that summer? As Scowen, Watkins were out of contract the following summer aswell.

You could argue we would have come straight back down had we sold Hourihane and Winnall that summer. However, the events of january 17 and what transpired afterwards make me think we should have rebuilt in the first summer.

That's a fair point mate but thaz got to remember the service and success we had with those players. They earned their moves to bigger clubs in all fairness by consistency and ability. I didn't like it but i certainly didnt begrudge them it. After all, tha couldn't fault their efforts when they donned the red shirt.

I look at the latest crop and in all fairness they couldn't lace the wembley double teams booits. That's my point. We've given this lot a chance at a higher level and they haven't produced enough to keep us up. Now some are apparently wanting away having not performed to nowhere near the levels of their predecessors who left for bigger things. They owe the club more do this lot and should, in my opinion, try to at least redress the balance by helping us get promotion this season.

I'm keeping my powder dry and I'll see what transpires before the first game against Oxford .

It's all a bit hear say at the moment .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    That's a fair point mate but thaz got to remember the service and success we had with those players. They earned their moves to bigger clubs in all fairness by consistency and ability. I didn't like it but i certainly didnt begrudge them it. After all, tha couldn't fault their efforts when they donned the red shirt.

I look at the latest crop and in all fairness they couldn't lace the wembley double teams booits. That's my point. We've given this lot a chance at a higher level and they haven't produced enough to keep us up. Now some are apparently wanting away having not performed to nowhere near the levels of their predecessors who left for bigger things. They owe the club more do this lot and should, in my opinion, try to at least redress the balance by helping us get promotion this season.
    Totally agree. It was more my annoyance about the club letting this happen that tapered my enthusiasm for the 16/17 season and still leaves a bad taste to this day. I think that summer was a bigger contribution to where we find ourselves now than january 17 to be honest. If the club had an idea Hourihane, Winnall, Watkins and Scowen would be tootling off they should have spent money on better reinforcements than Kpekawa, Moncur, Bradshaw and Payne.

All in the past now though. If we keep this squad together we'll have a cracking chance next season. That said it's player power rearing it's ugly head again.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast