+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player of the Season

Player of the Season

Having thought about it, despite what I said on the other thread about Dubravka, I think it would be Lascelles for me.

No, he's not the finished article (although as a CB he's still got a lot to learn because I don't think you see the best of them as early in their careers as you do, say, strikers) but he's a hugely improved player, is massively important to us (as the points with and without him show) and is a very good captain for us.

Dubravka and Dummett would fight it out for second, for me with Shelvey in contention too. Diame has been outstanding in 2018 but was garbage before Xmas. Ritchie has put his usual effort in but, without looking at stats, seems to me to have had an ok season rather than a good one? Lejeune was excellent today-his reading of the game was brilliant as was his long range passing-he just continues to worry me when playing it short and trying to 'play'/run with the ball. Yedlin has been ok but uses his pace to recover situations which he has actually caused.

Perez is sort of baffling because we all know there's a player in there-he, too, has had some shocking games but these last couple of months he's actually been a very effective player for us. Murphy hasn't really had much of a chance and has been good and shocking in equal pert. Hayden, for me, is back up only and i don't know what to make of Merino, tbh. Atsu, too, is back-up only.

Gayle is beset by confidence problems which have hampered him massively; on top of that, he's not really a Premier League quality striker. Great effort all season, though.

Bound to have missed someone....

Thoughts?

I hope we never see Joselu or Manquillo in our shirt ever again.

I would give it to Lascelles too. Has an old head on young shoulders and is improving all the time.

Diame gets the vote from me as most improved player. He and Shelvey have formed a formidable partnership in the middle of the park.

Dubravka has had a huge impact on the team imo and it goes to show why Rafa was looking for a new keeper in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Having thought about it, despite what I said on the other thread about Dubravka, I think it would be Lascelles for me.

No, he's not the finished article (although as a CB he's still got a lot to learn because I don't think you see the best of them as early in their careers as you do, say, strikers) but he's a hugely improved player, is massively important to us (as the points with and without him show) and is a very good captain for us.

Dubravka and Dummett would fight it out for second, for me with Shelvey in contention too. Diame has been outstanding in 2018 but was garbage before Xmas. Ritchie has put his usual effort in but, without looking at stats, seems to me to have had an ok season rather than a good one? Lejeune was excellent today-his reading of the game was brilliant as was his long range passing-he just continues to worry me when playing it short and trying to 'play'/run with the ball. Yedlin has been ok but uses his pace to recover situations which he has actually caused.

Perez is sort of baffling because we all know there's a player in there-he, too, has had some shocking games but these last couple of months he's actually been a very effective player for us. Murphy hasn't really had much of a chance and has been good and shocking in equal pert. Hayden, for me, is back up only and i don't know what to make of Merino, tbh. Atsu, too, is back-up only.

Gayle is beset by confidence problems which have hampered him massively; on top of that, he's not really a Premier League quality striker. Great effort all season, though.

Bound to have missed someone....

Thoughts?

I hope we never see Joselu or Manquillo in our shirt ever again.
    That's a good post and an assessment that I agree with.

One more that deserves a mention is Dummet who has been a key part of our defensive unit. The encouraging thing for me is that we have players who look like they're going to improve and that they are playing well together as a team. You can see this when a couple of our first 11 are missing - our performance can drop alarmingly and this is why we've had, for Rafa, a very settled side. Of course it also shows a complete lack of depth in the squad which needs urgently addressing.

Diame, Lejeune, Shelvey and Ritchie all in with a shout but it's Lascelles for me because he's been more consistent than these others.

edit: just seen that you did mention Dummett!

good thread !

Hard to say really.

Even though i slagged him off earlier in the season Perez has scored some crucial goals & worked his arse off every game i cant take that away from him. (i still think his decision making needs vast improvement)

Diame maybe not player of the season but an honorable mention for this 2nd half of the season he has been immense. Perhaps his scuffle with lascalles kicked him into gear (signs of a good captain)

Shelvey after a rough start the 2nd half of season hes been consistent & disclipined and really has been the key player imo, i like he tries the risky passes and for each 3 passes that dont work he will connect with one that will create a chance, deserves a bench spot for England imo.

Lascalles & Ljuene consistent, solid i like this pairing a lot. Both of them are proper defenders, aggressive & strong but disciplined.

Its hard to pick a player but i might have to go with Lascalles his leadership has been really important.

Very good and very true OP.

But..... the elephant in room must be adressed. Zip, you almost just said that Dummett's been the player of the season! That's not the Zip I knew a year back You're right though, he's been excellent, but Lascelles deserves the accolade.

Player of the season for me goes like this. I'll do first second and third place and also most improved, etc.

Players of the season.

1. Shelvey.
    2. Lascelles.
    3. Yedlin.

Most Improved players.

1. Diame.
    2. Lascelles.
    3. Perez.

Good points Zip.

Player of the season for me has been Lascelles followed by Shelvey.

Most improved is Diame followed by Perez i think.

Dubravka Lascelles Shelvey in that order

For me Lascelles gets it
    We missed him badly earlier on in the season when he was out.

But my god the other lads have all been pretty close
    Diame started the season dire and has ended up being a colossus

Shelvey with his Hollywood passes

Dubravka with his strength between the sticks

Kenedy flair and skill

Perez our top scorer piping up with important match winning goals

I hope they all get their Xmas party now

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)