+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: All-time Football League Positions 1888-2018

Quote Originally Posted by Nomalice View Post
    Wicka Mon
    Absolutely true and hopefully you will never fall that far ,it's painful.
    But if you do the few fans who continue to follow might have the same great time as Wolves fans have had.We had a great time in the lower divisions .For all the sneers it is sad to see your team full apart but the joy in seeing your side start winning and fighting their way back is fabulous so yes Wolves are the only team to ever win all 4 Divisions and now we're back in the top division and hopefully do well but if not I do believe it is better to do well in lower leagues than to be a poor side in the premier who play badly week after week and struggle for seasons,if that is genuinely what you prefer then may you remain proud of being consistently in the top division but achieving nothing but boredom.
    All the best
    Not so great times aswell. those national papers that hailed you as the best team in the world also reported the opposite. Don't try and tell me you enjoyed it down there. There was a ban on you lot attending away games because you couldn't behave. This also slips most memories.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-the-door.html

albion68
    Wow what a great reply must have taken a long time to think up write badly.
    It didn't too long to translate and yes I am off from school ,thanks for asking but I was just wondering did you ever go to school because if you did I hope that it has been closed down as it was obviously failing !!
    Have a nice day
    wow,another posh Now it all dingle..that’s if thers such a animal as a posh dingle.

Hi WBA1955
    Interesting comments about 50s. It wasn't the Wolves fans who declared that Wolves were the greatest club in the world,nor the local papers.
    It was the National papers and football magazines of the era who filled sports pages proclaiming Wolves as the greatest team in the world And from that came the European cup to prove that they weren't !
    But they were a great side-they must have been to keep the excellent Albion side of '53/54 in second place !
    Just to take you up on one point concerning the Munich Air disaster which occured in the !st week of feb.
    So the League one week before this happened showed Wolves top with a good lead United were not even in the top 3 in the league ( a certain WBA were 3rd)!In a 6 years Wolves period won the league 3 times (2 before Munich ) and the FA cup -throw in the Charity shield and you have to accept they had been some team......
    It is disingenuous to suggest that wolves only won the league because of the Munich air crash -
    Point 2 it is indisputable to say that Albion have been the more consistent than Wolves,but I have to be honest I'll put up with some bad times(there has been plenty!) For the odd jewel and these great times stay with real supporters for ever.such as winning the league FA Cup LeagueCup, - getting to the later stages of European competions , Wolves performances last season.
    I'm sure that if Albion get promoted next season(I hope you do) you will enjoy it more being an also ran struggler in the Premier.
    Wolves fans today tell me they were the worlds best side in the 50's. They were a bloody good side in the 50's no doubting that, but it is stretching it a bit to suggest they were the best side in Britain let alone the world.
    The reasoning is down to a friendly v Honved who were playing them off the park and were 2-0 up at half time until the wolves had the pitch hosed to stop Honveds passing game. A bit sad to resort to these measures in a friendly. It was a bit different when Wolves played competitive games against the likes of Glasgow Rangers and Barcelona.
    In early Feb 58 Wolves were 6 points clear of United who were second, only 2 points for a win back then, but United's next game after Munich would have been Wolves. Would the outcome have been different if not for Munich? Who knows.
    Wolves have always played ugly football like Wimbledon. They and their fans are universally disliked among most of the football community.
    The side they have now is the best footballing side i have seen them have, and their fans are creaming themselves over stuff we have taken for granted most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Wolves fans today tell me they were the worlds best side in the 50's. They were a bloody good side in the 50's no doubting that, but it is stretching it a bit to suggest they were the best side in Britain let alone the world.
    The reasoning is down to a friendly v Honved who were playing them off the park and were 2-0 up at half time until the wolves had the pitch hosed to stop Honveds passing game. A bit sad to resort to these measures in a friendly. It was a bit different when Wolves played competitive games against the likes of Glasgow Rangers and Barcelona.
    In early Feb 58 Wolves were 6 points clear of United who were second, only 2 points for a win back then, but United's next game after Munich would have been Wolves. Would the outcome have been different if not for Munich? Who knows.
    Wolves have always played ugly football like Wimbledon. They and their fans are universally disliked among most of the football community.
    The side they have now is the best footballing side i have seen them have, and their fans are creaming themselves over stuff we have taken for granted most of the time.

I agree 55, and we have taken this for granted for years. The side was the best footballing side in a poor Championship as apart from Fulham, there's not been any other team who have been anything special. The Dingles barely performed well against Swansea over two legs, and look where they are now - is this a yard stick? The double decker bus will be in reverse gear come May 2019 for sure!

----------------
    OK take your point I have never claimed Wolves were the best team in the world ,but Newspapers of the time did.
    It was not as you make out just for one game
    In approx 3 years Wolves played 16 foreign teams including Real Madrid , Spartak Moscow Racing Club of Buenos Aires Honved Won 14 drew 2 They also played Celtic who they beat 2-0
    And that comment about the Honved game an oft repeated legend that the watering of the pitch made all the difference Sounds a bit like Jürgen Klopp complaining about your groundsman ?
    Oh when Wolves played Barcelona and Rangers took place in the 60s not the 50s
    You say Wolves played ugly football but you also say "They were a bloody good side in the 50's no doubting that"Absolutely With Williams.Flowers,Wright,Mullen,Hancock,Broadbent they couldn't do anything other than play great football
    Last edited by Nomalice; 21-05-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Not so great times as well. those national papers that hailed you as the best team in the world also reported the opposite. Don't try and tell me you enjoyed it down there. There was a ban on you lot attending away games because you couldn't behave. This also slips most memories.
    This report took place in 2000 but I agree I would condemn any fans who are violent this report took place in 2000.
    It would be good if you would also condemn violence from Albion fans

Hi baggieal

Hope you do well in the Championship but I would advise against being too blasé .You say it was a poor Championship if you feel that you could be in for a shock . It is common consensus that it was the best Championship for a very long time.
    Ok it won't be as strong next year with 3 good sides being promoted.
    Can't really compare the rest of the season with the Swansea game as it was mainly youngsters and fringe players,although it was a similar team that wolves put out in the draw against Man City.

WBA1955
    "In early Feb 58 Wolves were 6 points clear of United who were second, only 2 points for a win back then, but United's next game after Munich would have been Wolves. Would the outcome have been different if not for Munich? Who knows.
    The side they have now is the best footballing side i have seen them have, and their fans are creaming themselves over stuff we have taken for granted most of the time."

United were not Second in the league as shown below(Table 13 02 58) neither Wolves nor United had had a game since and because of the Munich disaster

1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 28 18 6 4 68 33 2.061 35 42
    2 Preston North End--------- 29 17 5 7 71 39 1.821 32 39
    3 West Bromwich Albion---- 29 13 11 5 68 51 1.333 17 37
    4 Manchester United-------- 28 15 6 7 73 47 1.553 26 36
    Wolves had been top of the league for most of the season were 6 points ahead of MU and with a superior goal difference.
    Wolves lost just 2 in the last 14 games and so at 2 pts a game they would have taken a lot of catching .
    Wolves had beaten Man united earlier in the season and in the last few games of the season they beat the teams in 2nd(Preston),and 3rd (WBA), So it is difficult to realistically say that anyone could have caught them.
    Last edited by Nomalice; 21-05-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Hi baggieal

Hope you do well in the Championship but I would advise against being too blasé .You say it was a poor Championship if you feel that you could be in for a shock . It is common consensus that it was the best Championship for a very long time.
    Ok it won't be as strong next year with 3 good sides being promoted.
    Can't really compare the rest of the season with the Swansea game as it was mainly youngsters and fringe players,although it was a similar team that wolves put out in the draw against Man City.

Wolves and Fulham played good football. Don't rate Vile, Derby or Boro one little bit as they are poor. To survive in the premiership must be your objective, as if anybody thinks any different, then they are deluded. Depends on what you spend and more importantly how the money is spent! Luck needs to also play a part as well as committed players. Were there worse teams than West Brom who stayed up - definitely! On paper, we were far superior to Newcastle as one example, but they have a great manager in Benitez. Pardew was a clown and consequently a bad decision like this appointment helped relegate us. If we played you now - who would win? Hard question to answer but there's little or no difference between the top two in the championship and the bottom six.

Give you this - at least you can have some sort of debate with you, unlike the other two complete pricks you have who frequent our site, one of which never goes to the matches and talks the talk.

It will all end in tears

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Albion in 1953/54 played football wolves played kick and rush although they called it push and run.the daily mirror (I think the mirror) called the baggies the team of the century,even telling the FA they should represent England in the next World Cup. a couple of injuries and a good kicking of the wolves and that was it.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)