+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: All-time Football League Positions 1888-2018

Hi Albion68

You say "Albion in 1953/54 played football wolves played kick and rush although they called it push and run.the daily mirror (I think the mirror) called the baggies the team of the century,even telling the FA they should represent England in the next World Cup. a couple of injuries and a good kicking of the wolves and that was it."
    ---------------------

You seem to have a vivid imagination but would be grateful if you could give me more details of this Daily Mirror article.
    In the meantime I'll give Details of an article written by the leading football writer of the time Charles Buchan who also had a monthly football magazine.
    Commenting on Wolves advanced style of play during the Championship-winning campaign of 1953-54, Buchan said a few weeks after the Hungary debacle: "Wolves restored my confidence in the British style of play they are fast, skilful and play to a plan every bit as good as the Hungarians at Wembley.
    "Wolves matched the continentals in pace and ball control. Their defence is impressive . It was the type of England we will need to win the World Cup.
    . I am certain too the skilful wing play of Johnny Hancocks and Jimmy Mullen would set a problem to continental defenders. There is a great chance for England in the World Cup if it is carried out on the Wolves pattern."

Quite high praise from a top footballer and football writer and no mention of kick and rush !!

perhaps you could forward details to me supporting your earlier comments I look forward to it
    Last edited by Nomalice; 21-05-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Albion68, anybody with a basic football knowledge knows you are right.

We were also deprived of our strikers playing for England.

Many consider Cullis as the destroyer of English football.

He was the who introduced the long ball and dirty, cheating tactics.

He flooded the pitch and after winning a friendly against honved he, nobody else, declared the dings as the best of the world.

The newspapers just printed his words the next day.

This article, with fat Ron flooding the pitch for him, saying they would have been battered, but for the cheating.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/0...an-cullis-era/

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    Albion in 1953/54 played football wolves played kick and rush although they called it push and run.the daily mirror (I think the mirror) called the baggies the team of the century,even telling the FA they should represent England in the next World Cup. a couple of injuries and a good kicking of the wolves and that was it.
    Someone posted that paper headline team of the century on here not long ago. The same season after we lost 3-5 to Honved in Brussels going down to 10 men after Barlow was injured, the Hungarian press described us as far superior to the England team, while Puskas said our football was second only to the Hungarians.
    We beat Newcastle 7-3 at St James's and got a standing ovation from the Geordies, something that was repeated 24 years later by a huge crowd in Valencia.
    In 1957 we became the first British club to win in Russia, coming home undefeated. Then beating the Soviet Army side CSKA Moscow 6-5 in front of 53,000 people and a televised audience.
    The Russians nicknamed Derek Kevan, The Tank, a name wolves fans later gave to a cart hoss called Kindon.
    Our ground breaking tour of China in 78 is one of the reasons of the interest in the game there today.
    Wolves became the first British side to lose in Australia.
    The trouble with wolves fans is they believe all the rubbish the old uns tell them.
    I knew some who really believed Wagstaffe was better than Best. He wasn't fit to lace Chippy's boots.

Nomalice has made a total mockery of your previous 'facts' hence the same bitter repetitive response you have been posting for years.

Really gets you going doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Someone posted that paper headline team of the century on here not long ago. The same season after we lost 3-5 to Honved in Brussels going down to 10 men after Barlow was injured, the Hungarian press described us as far superior to the England team, while Puskas said our football was second only to the Hungarians.
    We beat Newcastle 7-3 at St James's and got a standing ovation from the Geordies, something that was repeated 24 years later by a huge crowd in Valencia.
    In 1957 we became the first British club to win in Russia, coming home undefeated. Then beating the Soviet Army side CSKA Moscow 6-5 in front of 53,000 people and a televised audience.
    The Russians nicknamed Derek Kevan, The Tank, a name wolves fans later gave to a cart hoss called Kindon.
    Our ground breaking tour of China in 78 is one of the reasons of the interest in the game there today.
    Wolves became the first British side to lose in Australia.
    The trouble with wolves fans is they believe all the rubbish the old uns tell them.
    I knew some who really believed Wagstaffe was better than Best. He wasn't fit to lace Chippy's boots.
    55,you forgot China.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf View Post
    Nomalice has made a total mockery of your previous 'facts' hence the same bitter repetitive response you have been posting for years.

Really gets you going doesn't it?
    I thought Nomalice was talking good sense, and very knowledgeable. But I can't believe he hasn't taken in the true facts of their great Honved victory, and the way they pioneered Wimbledon-type football. Hopefully he'll read BaggieBlood's #161 attachment.

Most non-Wo1ve5 fans are aware of the type of football they played and "doctored" the pitch - most Wo1ve5 fans choose to gloss over it. My Dad was there that night, and they all laughed at the tactics used (but cheered like mad that they won).

There is no chance that there will ever be any significant consensus about these matters. There are many differing conclusions that will always be made. I just don’t believe in taking them too seriously. I just treat them as an interesting diversion and not something to get too worked up about.

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    There is no chance that there will ever be any significant consensus about these matters. There are many differing conclusions that will always be made. I just don’t believe in taking them too seriously. I just treat them as an interesting diversion and not something to get too worked up about.
    Agreed Q,the only ones getting worked up about it are our dingle residents which is evident in their constant bites on here

Hi BaggieBlood,

you say 1) Albion68, anybody with a basic football knowledge knows you are right.
    possibly but anyone with more than a basic knowledge would know he is wrong!

2) Wolves had 8 English internationals in mid 50s

3)Many consider Cullis as the destroyer of English football.

Never seen that quote would be very grateful if you could give me a link.
    But here are a few quotes from eminent sportsmen:-
    a)"Wolves stood for everything that was good about British football. They played with great power, spirit and STYLE."
    – Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby

b)I would rate him up there with the best. He was a tremendous manager." B Thomson

c)All round, as a player, as a manager, and for general intelligence, it would be difficult to name anyone since the game began who could qualify to be in the same class as Stan Cullis."
    – Liverpool boss Bill Shankly

d)"Wolves restored my confidence in the British style of play they are fast, skilful and play to a plan every bit as good as the Hungarians at Wembley.
    "Wolves matched the continentals in pace and ball control. Their defence is impressive . It was the type of play England will need to win the World Cup." Charles Buchan

you say,He was the who introduced the long ball and dirty, cheating tactics.
    "There is no such thing as a long ball or a short ball only a good pass or a bad pass" B Clough
    and Wolves made mainly good passes in those days !
    It is not surprising,though, that you are being confused between Long passes and bad passes as some teams today are still famous for their long passing game,in fact Albion came second in the long passes league in the season just gone(down from 1st 2 seasons ago!

http://www.squawka.com/news/who-are-...ranked-all-20-
    teams/1027847#zQ48JUHREKH5mKfu.97

you say :-The newspapers just printed his words the next day.Not true The Mail and the Guardian were 1st to use the phrase but opposition fans created "Fakenews" by repeating the lie until many uninformed believed it

Hi talkSAFT
    You Say Most non-Wo1ve5 fans are aware of the type of football they played and "doctored" the pitch - most Wo1ve5 fans choose to gloss over it. My Dad was there that night, and they all laughed at the tactics used (but cheered like mad that they won)
    With deference to your dad,he must have been one on his own if he was disappointed with Wolves.
    Eminent people in the football world were full of praise for the wolves of that era.
    For example
    a)"Wolves stood for everything that was good about British football. They played with great power, spirit and STYLE."
    – Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby

b)I would rate him up there with the best. He was a tremendous manager." B Thomson

c)All round, as a player, as a manager, and for general intelligence, it would be difficult to name anyone since the game began who could qualify to be in the same class as Stan Cullis."
    – Liverpool boss Bill Shankly

d)"Wolves restored my confidence in the British style of play they are fast, skilful and play to a plan every bit as good as the Hungarians at Wembley.
    "Wolves matched the continentals in pace and ball control. Their defence is impressive . It was the type of play England will need to win the World Cup." Charles Buchan

As for doctoring the pitch I'm sure that you agree then with Jurgen Klop when he intimated that Albion had cheated by not dousing the pitch because his more skilful players would play better on wet pitches !!

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)