+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Shrewsbury started safe standing

Shrewsbury started safe standing

I didn’t think it was approved in championship yet?

You have to go all-seater after three seasons in the Championship, which S****horpe avoided by being relegated.

Cheers great-fire

Strange one this.
    As MT says - clubs promoted to the Championship have 3 years to make the stadium fully seated (unless they have been in the Championship previously when the rule applied, in which case they have the remaining balance. e.g. if previously in cshp for 2 years then they would only have one year to comply)
    Unusual this in that Shrewsbury is already fully seated. Of course they are not promoted yet (and hopefully won't be).
    Are they able to do this because they will finish the work before the season starts or could they even do it after one year in the Championship as long as they replaced the seats before the 3 year deadline?

Don't know the specifics at Shrewsbury but isn't the idea of most safe standing to easily convert back to seats when necessary? Some German grounds have the seats fastened up and then release them for European games so you can sit down.

I'm wondering if the EFL might have something to say about this if Shrews go up. As it was mentioned earlier Championship teams have 3 seasons to go all-seater so will the EFL be unhappy that somebody is going in the opposite direction?

They wouldn't have to remove it, they'd just have to have the seats down.

If the rule states that stadiums must be all seater within three years of reaching the championship, regardless of whether the club is still at that level after three years, then how come Sunny, Peterborough and Yeovil have avoided having to go all seater? Also Brentfords time must be up now too.

I remember when Millmoor had to be all seater, we were told that regardless of whether we went down, the ground had to be all seater within three years of entering that level.
    Or is it after 3 seasons of championship football? In which case Yeovil and Burton get away with it, but I'm almost certain Sunny and Peterborough have both had 3 years of 2nd tier football since the regulations came in? Also sure Brentford have just completed their 4th season and still have terracing.

It doesn't really matter that much to me. Millmoor is just a memory now, but it seems we could have got away with seating the Tivoli end after all.

Haven't Bristol City got safe standing area?..seem to remember them saying they're going to introduce it.