Sorry, but until the futures of Martin, Bryson, Butterfield and Thorne are resolved we are effectively hamstrung as far as making progress is concerned.
Those four players represent a massive drain on the finances of DCFC and have contributed little if anything in return for two years or so now.
It’s a sad thing to say about Thorne, he has suffered horribly from injury after injury however the consensus seems to be that he’s now becoming an out of shape fat bloke and that isn’t acceptable, imo, from a man who is paid a fortune to get fit and perform for the club who pay for his lifestyle.
None of this is Gary Rowett’s fault...he inherited (I think) at least four players on ludicrously inappropriate contracts...but it needs sorting quickly by the financial staff before Rowett can realistically start planning for the future.

Beyond that...I think maybe that BJ might have done enough in the last month or so to re-establish some faith in him having a role to play in the future...so, trying to be positive, I’d be looking to build around Carson, Wisdom Keogh, Davies, Huddleston, Johnson, Lawrence, Vydra (or the considerable amount his sale would generate), Jerome, Weiman and Lowe.
In Davies we may have at last found a captain but top of the wanted list is still a ‘midfield general’, closely followed by a left back and a finisher...top of the job description requirement in all three cases should be...a willingness to work, heart, mobility and a little bit of guile.