+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Lancaster Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    No counselling for them either.
    While I have every sympathy for those that witnessed these shocking suicide bombings and attacks, men that fought in the trenches, and civilians that lived through The Blitz saw horrors on a daily basis. In fact some got shot at dawn for their troubles.
    Different times, different generations.
    As I've said before, my old man was a Japanese POW. He only told me some of his stories late in life. It obviously never left him. When he was terminally ill in hospital he was hallucinating and thought he was back in the jungle.
    My Mrs is scared of flying. You can't imagine what it must have been like with fighter planes buzzing around trying to shoot you down.
    I really couldn't imagine many of today's youths volunteering for action. i couldn't see many mothers letting them.
    I get where you are coming from hodger on many levels .

However isn't it a good thing unless they volunteer to join the military that kids today don't have to have that kind of trauma to deal with .

Tough times breed strong people and life is possibly more easier in comparison to a few generations back but I think personally that's progress in many respects .

Kids today may not have it harder in some aspects but I think it's worth pointing out it's harder to buy a home , wages are stagnating , employment is very insecure with ZHC and agency work , it's a harsher world than possibly the baby boomers enjoyed .

Think you’ll find back in the early 20th Century, only very rich owned houses, jobs and income were scarce at times and in general times were much harder than today.

Quote Originally Posted by lk311 View Post
    Think you’ll find back in the early 20th Century, only very rich owned houses, jobs and income were scarce at times and in general times were much harder than today.
    Early 20th century maybe but I'm talking about the baby boomers Ik311 .

I was talking about Baby boom era too, post war, there were little jobs, no accommodation, rationing was worse than during the war due to aid being withdrawn from place like America, returning servicemen and de colonalisation, domestic abused soared to record levels as did divorce rates, pretty harsh times, that I for one am glad I never had to experience.
    Granted the second half of this period once Nationalisation etc took hold (mid 50’s onwards) things improved dramatically for the individual.
    ZHC has always been in existence since employment as we know it has existed, mainly in the Tourism and Leisure sectors but it only really came to the forefront when Companies were forced by the Goverment to give contracts to all employees by law in the late 90’s.

Apparently it went ovva early this mornin wi oldest serving Lancaster pilot on board, shame it warnt mentioned on any news , lots ov dissapointed spectators yistdi

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Apparently it went ovva early this mornin wi oldest serving Lancaster pilot on board, shame it warnt mentioned on any news , lots ov dissapointed spectators yistdi
    A saw it mate. We were just going rarnd tankersley rarndabart this morning an it flew reight ovver eeard. Magnificent sight to behold. It wo flying low too, maybe 2000 ft? so tha could see iverything clearly.

Thas allus bin a stikee Bleedah Pass !! Berrit wa great , mi favrit plane , took ages t mek a model onnit , allus ballaxed last bit , rear gunner capsule allus stuck t mi fingus , Chuffin Bostik mi arse , wonder if Air fix are still goowin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Thas allus bin a stikee Bleedah Pass !! Berrit wa great , mi favrit plane , took ages t mek a model onnit , allus ballaxed last bit , rear gunner capsule allus stuck t mi fingus , Chuffin Bostik mi arse , wonder if Air fix are still goowin ?

Aye a were very fortunate to see it. A saw Concorde tek off on its last ivver flight n all quite close up. We were working in Feltham and it roared ovver us eeards. We once dropped on it (concooard) at Ibiza airpooart when a worra young un.

Mi favver took me and r kid on holiday and our apartment were in Ibiza old town under landing flight path ot planes. Some mornings we'd look at em coming in to land guin over head and tha cud see em coming in from afar. It wo just thi usual passenger jets and local planes, then all of a sudden we saw an unusual looking one on the horizon and as it got closer it dawned on us that it wo concooard.

We edda steady walk up tut airpooart and edda photo wi it int backgrarnd. It worran AirFrance Concorde and to this day I ent a clue why it wo even theear. We waited forrit to tek off and av nivver heard owt like it. Magnificent machine and one of my favourites. Av dropped on lucky a couple o times, no doubt abart it.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    A saw it mate. We were just going rarnd tankersley rarndabart this morning an it flew reight ovver eeard. Magnificent sight to behold. It wo flying low too, maybe 2000 ft? so tha could see iverything clearly.
    Last year we stopped on a holiday camp for a weekend at end of runway where there based, everyday, Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane took off and landed and was literally maybe 100 feet or so (guessing) above us.
    Awesome sight being so close

In the battle of britain I seem to have read we were outnumbered by the Luftwaffe four to one but the spitfire was such an incredible aircraft the germans had no answer to its speed and skill of our pilots .

Anyway they got blown out of the sky and cancelled their invasion of britain and decided it would be easier to have a pop at Russia instead .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast