+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T Lancaster Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Aye a were very fortunate to see it. A saw Concorde tek off on its last ivver flight n all quite close up. We were working in Feltham and it roared ovver us eeards. We once dropped on it (concooard) at Ibiza airpooart when a worra young un.

Mi favver took me and r kid on holiday and our apartment were in Ibiza old town under landing flight path ot planes. Some mornings we'd look at em coming in to land guin over head and tha cud see em coming in from afar. It wo just thi usual passenger jets and local planes, then all of a sudden we saw an unusual looking one on the horizon and as it got closer it dawned on us that it wo concooard.

We edda steady walk up tut airpooart and edda photo wi it int backgrarnd. It worran AirFrance Concorde and to this day I ent a clue why it wo even theear. We waited forrit to tek off and av nivver heard owt like it. Magnificent machine and one of my favourites. Av dropped on lucky a couple o times, no doubt abart it.
    Al let thi inta a secret Pass , long time ago , my wife had saved for ages to buy me and her an Holiday in France and a Flight from CDA to New York on Concorde forra Special Treat , fortieth birthday , absolutely Amazing , summat I'd allus wanted to do , could gu on forriva abart it , even better on returning to Manchester we flew low ovva Barnsley seeing the Stadium , Tarn Hall , got mi certificate signed by all the Crew , a wint ivva forget the music played for taxeing and landing was Oxygene by Jon Michel Jarre , LUVVED IT

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Al let thi inta a secret Pass , long time ago , my wife had saved for ages to buy me and her an Holiday in France and a Flight from CDA to New York on Concorde forra Special Treat , fortieth birthday , absolutely Amazing , summat I'd allus wanted to do , could gu on forriva abart it , even better on returning to Manchester we flew low ovva Barnsley seeing the Stadium , Tarn Hall , got mi certificate signed by all the Crew , a wint ivva forget the music played for taxeing and landing was Oxygene by Jon Michel Jarre , LUVVED IT

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post

I'll let you lads into a secret , I'm terrified of flying even though I've flown loads of times .

Tried everything but nowt works , shake like a shyttin dog the whole flight .

I do manage to find the courage to get on the fecker but jeez I hate it .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'll let you lads into a secret , I'm terrified of flying even though I've flown loads of times .

Tried everything but nowt works , shake like a shyttin dog the whole flight .

I do manage to find the courage to get on the fecker but jeez I hate it .
    I'm opposite mate, bloody love it. I'm equally moved and marvelled by the experience everytime I fly. When I was younger I was nervous as hell but mostly due to a lack of understanding in aviation. I found the more I learned, the more relaxed I got. I've watched many a programme on how the Rolls Royce jet engines are made and the concept behind how they work. The rigours they put them thru in testing makes them astonishingly reliable. It's a wonder of the world for me. Fascinating stuff.

When I was younger any minor turbulence would put reight wind up me, negative thoughts entered my head. That's the psychological battle for me. As I say try and educate yourself on how conditions can affect an aircraft then it seems to make sense. There's some brilliant videos on YouTube of cross wind landings, the skill of the pilots is unreal. It makes you truly appreciate what's going on when most take it for granted.

Even watching 'seconds from disaster' on Nat Geo is an education. Seriously, it's probably going to be frowned upon making such a statement but despite the horrible circumstances that such a programme has been made it has its reassurances. I also found that understanding the fundamentals on how the shape of aircraft wings and flaps pushes air below to give lift whilst the jet engine propells the plane thru the air. I am truly fascinated by it all and learning can turn negative thoughts into positive breeding confidence. It may be nowt to you mate but It worked for me.

I won a competition at work for a flying lesson. Manchester airport . Small plane. Superb. Had control for about twenty minutes, came back in over Thelwell viaduct.
    Landing and taking off was amazing, I was Sh8tting myself ...... I have a picture of a jet on the runway at Manchester as we approach the runway..... I had just given back control....
    When we landed I rang the missis and she said I have never sworn as much in so short a time... I was buzzing..
    Massive experience. Name:  FE3C0224-7A47-4A85-A4B1-45401EBC89AA.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  13.2 KB

And the plane took off, before we landed
    Last edited by Jules88; 17-05-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I won a competition at work for a flying lesson. Manchester airport . Small plane. Superb. Had control for about twenty minutes, came back in over Thelwell viaduct.
    Landing and taking off was amazing, I was Sh8tting myself ...... I have a picture of a jet on the runway at Manchester as we approach the runway..... I had just given back control....
    When we landed I rang the missis and she said I have never sworn as much in so short a time... I was buzzing..
    Massive experience. Name:  FE3C0224-7A47-4A85-A4B1-45401EBC89AA.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  13.2 KB

And the plane took off, before we landed

Brilliant that Jules. Top man

I once built a B17 flying Fortress in 1:48 scale n' forgot to put undercarriage wheels in before I stuck fusilage together. My dad had to open it back.up with a Craft Knife and stick me wheels in. I saw a Lancaster at Bridlington couple of summers back. A sight to behold it was flying low like Pass mentioned.

Animal wt saved us during battle of Britain was the luftwaffe turning their attention from our airfields to bomb cities instead. We bombed Berlin and it was a masterstroke by bomber command as they knew Hitler would retaliate and give our airfields and fighter squadrons some respite.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123