+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Revered Rovers forwards.

Revered Rovers forwards.

Same names get mentioned.. Garner, Shearer(obviously), Sutton, Bellamy, Benny Mccarthy(why? His attitude stank)..

Very rarely does Roque Santa Cruz get mentioned. I thought he was outstanding. Pace, power, strength, height and no slouch at finishing.

What we could just do with now actually!

The ‘first time around Roque’ obviously.
    Yes as you say he had lots ‘in his locker’.
    I’d like to add Speedie to your list actually , a 110% er.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    The ‘first time around Roque’ obviously.
    Yes as you say he had lots ‘in his locker’.
    I’d like to add Speedie to your list actually , a 110% er.
    Loved speedie but he struggled badly without Newell when he fractured his shin. Nearly missed out on top 6 altogether due to his absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Loved speedie but he struggled badly without Newell when he fractured his shin. Nearly missed out on top 6 altogether due to his absence.

Also Andy Cole gets over-looked. He scored the winner in a major Cup final in front of 30 odd thousand Rovers fans. Coles goal scoring record for us was excellent. It riles me this season, as the Harry Kane love means he keeps getting talked in the same breath as Shearer. He isn't in the same league as him! I don't actually think Kane is as good as Cole. He wont min as much as Cole did, and Kane simply doesn't score goals under pressure going for league titles or Cup final victories, he scores goals for a club who celebrate failure, and expect nothing.

I liked Matty Jansen aswell, a class act.

The difference in most of the names mentioned above, they ALL played in very good Rovers sides, who where supplied by extremley good, international footballers.

Yep Champs , that is something that can make or break a striker. When you have the likes of the fine midfielders an wingers we have enjoyed previously it doesn’t half make the strikers job that much more do-able.
    One major enigma was Davies ! You cannot really say ‘in your face’ Davies was lacking in confidence. Just didn’t , for whatever reason, work out.

Matty Jansen , yea a very very well loved ex player and such a tragedy (his scooter mishap).
    Andy Cole , who never made a big deal of his exploits and just got on with the job. A bit Paul Scholes esk. Unlike Benny (it’s all about me) Mc Carthy.

We really have been blessed with the players, particular forwards that have played for us. No wonder Burnley are so desperate for 'names' to join them. Closest they've got so far is a washed up Aaron Lennon! Poor souls..

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    We really have been blessed with the players, particular forwards that have played for us. No wonder Burnley are so desperate for 'names' to join them. Closest they've got so far is a washed up Aaron Lennon! Poor souls..
    Saxo you are a Deluded Fool ..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Saxo you are a Deluded Fool ..

Hey!! Burnley are in Europe, so they must be good.

Forget about the quality of the league nowadays ....its all about money.
    It is truly shocking the standard up there now. Hence half the teams have sacked their managers.
    Its not about winning, or scoring goals, excitement or entertainment. Its about not conceding goals, and only scoring about 15 all season at home. I personally would much rather watch a Mowbray side play football in Div 1 over having to sit and endure the complete non footballing tosh served up by Dyche. Hes just a Sam allardyce, nothing more nothing less. He would be found desperately wanting if he ever got anything near to a big club (like Allardyce) and its just not football. A lot of Burnley games this season ended without the oppo or Burnley having a shot on goal. And the PREM now rewards this non football with millions upon millions. And if like Sunderland you get relegated, then get relegated again you STILL get parachute payments. Meanwhile we are dragged through the FFP mud while other clubs got 'let off'.
    Back to the point, while its nice to see a side who are unfashionable, mixing it with the big sides, its not something I could sit and pay money to watch. We've done the Prem. We've had a few Dyches in our time, and it all looks rosey, the reality is its turgid rubbish.

Of course, I could mention people like Dobing and Pickering, but I don't want to reveal my age.
    Then there was Bryan Douglas - not a centre-forward, but a natural and prolific goal-scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Of course, I could mention people like Dobing and Pickering, but I don't want to reveal my age.
    Then there was Bryan Douglas - not a centre-forward, but a natural and prolific goal-scorer.
    I only know Bryan Douglas as a senior aged fella who used to be a member of the bowling team in the 1990s! I've heard some locker room stories of the past through my parents, but I'll keep them private!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)