+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: O/T The Royal Wedding

A day to break olut the box sets me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Stupid conclusion re Thatcher, you really have comprehension issues if that's what you believe. Re Carillion - absolutely that is not what big business should be about (nor what Mrs T would have wanted) and I hope we will see a major shift in the governance, including auditing, of large organisations and the charging of directors who in so many instances get off lightly/scot free only to then set up a similarly named business in the same market.

'70's Britain was all about the worker getting something for nothing, I'm sure not something the Labour government at the time really intended. When Mrs T wanted people do take some responsibilty for themselves instead of looking for handouts from the state she did not intend private business to shaft everyone, it just suited some folks agenda to do just that.

And will somebody please point me to the money tree that will pay for all the ails of the country without producing wealth. Oh yes, Gordon Brown stripped it bare and didn't plant any replacements.
    Old_pie

Here's a long but good article on why the type of system you pine for has long ceased to exist and what it's been replaced with (aptly related to the topic at hand). And while it's focusing on America, the same undoubtedly applies to the uk and Canada:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ocracy/559130/

Quote Originally Posted by andy6025 View Post
    Old_pie

Here's a long but good article on why the type of system you pine for has long ceased to exist and what it's been replaced with (aptly related to the topic at hand). And while it's focusing on America, the same undoubtedly applies to the uk and Canada:

I'll stick to Old_pie's version which I can understand ........ Not some crap spouted by the so called "Progressives".

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    On the other side of the coin everyone is not a republican and the royal family bring joy to millions,( I'm not one of them by the way).
    Look how many reporters and film crew from around the world will be there and millions of people from all over the world will be glued to their TVs for hours.
    Regarding the cost, just look how much cash will go into the economy, selling souvenirs, memorabilia and all the tourism. Try and book an hotel or guest house in London, plenty of people being employed in catering, pubs will be packed. I won't watch it apart from the news headlines and there is an off button on the TV.
    There may be a few hotels, hiking their prices for the idiots that will pay it, but a few people on minimum wage in the places you mention, is not going to recoup the £30mill they say it will cost.

That money would employ coppers, nurses or teachers, repair our potholed roads or provide free social care for those that need it. The Royals can more than afford it, they should pay for it, football clubs get billed for policing their games, what's the difference?

Old_pie

I'll read it when I'm not in a hurry but I'm posting to say how dismayed I was to learn that "my born in Britain" neighbour, aged 80 has to get a visa now to visit his son who is married and lives in Canada. Bring back the days we could command ourselves to be allowed entry - is it to do with European passports and all will be well again after (if ever it happens) Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Anyone else sick and tired of this by now? From programme after programme about it to numerous nauseating articles and interviews of someone who once smelt Markles guff, it's getting ridiculous. It's ok though the royal family (through their back breaking hard work) will pay two million of the wedding and we only have to cover the 30 million security bill. We have people using foodbanks and health services being cut especially mental health (when it's the biggest growing problem because believe it or not modern life is too much for alot of people, we're not computers and you're constantly under pressure with little rest it's too much. I have stage four kidney disease and severe mental health problems and work full time as there's no help and it's getting to much) and yet we have this going on. Plus don't the members of the public invited have to bring their own food?

This country is a disgrace in terms of the haves and have nots. If you grafted and made your money then brilliant, honestly well done, it's the aristocracy and royals get me mad. Like the honeymoon is costing 120,000 and it's a present from Markle to Harry, fine but look at the money 120,000??? How about go on a twenty grand honeymoon and give the other 100,000 to good causes?

What I'm really bothered about is will her Dad attend? I won't be able to sleep till I know for sure.
    Don't watch it then. Sometimes 'we' have to pay for things we'd rather not.
    I abhor the BBC and Eurovision. They are both a waste of money and as I never watch anything on the former I also miss the latter. It's a win, win for me.
    Apart from having to pay for the privilege of not watching, of course. Not really a win, then 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by dam617 View Post
    Don't watch it then. Sometimes 'we' have to pay for things we'd rather not.
    I abhor the BBC and Eurovision. They are both a waste of money and as I never watch anything on the former I also miss the latter. It's a win, win for me.
    Apart from having to pay for the privilege of not watching, of course. Not really a win, then ��
    Couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I'll read it when I'm not in a hurry but I'm posting to say how dismayed I was to learn that "my born in Britain" neighbour, aged 80 has to get a visa now to visit his son who is married and lives in Canada. Bring back the days we could command ourselves to be allowed entry - is it to do with European passports and all will be well again after (if ever it happens) Brexit?
    First, is your neighbour some weird exception to a regular British Passport holding citizen, as such do not require a Visa to enter Canada for a short duration (probably up to 3 months). Those arriving by air need to fill out an Electronic Travel Authorization which costs $7 (around 4 quid). (See below)

Second, you seem to be lamenting that Britain ought to be able to control who enters the country, but are complaining (possibly incorrectly) about the steps Canada has taken to control those who go there. Did you mean to be ironic here or have I misunderstood something?

"British Citizens don't usually need a visa to visit Canada for short periods, but you'll need to get an Electronic Travel Authorisation before you travel (see below). If you have a different type of British nationality or intend to travel for a longer period, check entry requirements with the Canadian High Commission. When you arrive you will need to be able to show that you have enough funds available to support yourself during your stay, even if you’re staying with family and friends."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

First, is your neighbour some weird exception to a regular British Passport holding citizen, as such do not require a Visa to enter Canada for a short duration (probably up to 3 months). Those arriving by air need to fill out an Electronic Travel Authorization which costs $7 (around 4 quid). (See below)

Second, you seem to be lamenting that Britain ought to be able to control who enters the country, but are complaining (possibly incorrectly) about the steps Canada has taken to control those who go there. Did you mean to be ironic here or have I misunderstood something?

"British Citizens don't usually need a visa to visit Canada for short periods, but you'll need to get an Electronic Travel Authorisation before you travel (see below). If you have a different type of British nationality or intend to travel for a longer period, check entry requirements with the Canadian High Commission. When you arrive you will need to be able to show that you have enough funds available to support yourself during your stay, even if you’re staying with family and friends."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
    Eh - I'm only lamenting that the colonies won't freely let us in.

Seriously thanks for that, he is 81, not good at IT and readily confused by the modern world so maybe it was just the ETA that he struggled with. I'll ask him tomorrow, if I remember but he was finding whatever it was he had to do an ordeal.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast