+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yeap we're in the sh** it seems... Thanks, Mel

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    our stolen potato
    Class

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I think Commons flattered to deceive at Celtic, although I don't watch much English football I am force fed the Hoot League, and Commons' success such as it was was because he was playing FOR a team I'd class as lower half Prem, against sides who were mainly lower half League 1.
    Commons was worth more than £600,000 that we sold him for to Celtic, he was at least worth at that time £4-5m worth.

Shambolic decision on Cloughs behalf...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramspudnik View Post
    I wouldn’t be shocked at all seeing as that is the Derby way of doing things, selling players for bugger all just like Clough did doesn’t matter how good the player is we sell him on the cheap, Kris Commons springs to mind when he went to Celtic.
    I meant that £2 million would be a great deal. Release on a free more likely

Commons was worth more than £600,000 that we sold him for to Celtic, he was at least worth at that time £4-5m worth.

If I remember rightly Commons, when sold, had about 3 or 4 months left on his contract before he could walk for nothing. So the contract (which is what we effectively sold) was worth what we got even it the player might have been of greater value

Your opinion and one to which you are entitled to have and to broadcast. I disagree and I will explain why.

He had just half a season left on his contract. He could have gone for nothing in the summer.
    The 2 1/2 seasons he had at Derby saw him play 34 League games in his first season. All games missed due to injury.
    2nd season a mere 20, again down to injury.
    last 1/2 a season saw him play in 26 out of 27 games. Playing for a new contract after 2 injury hit seasons? Playing for a move after 2 injury hit seasons? He had a history of moving on at the end of his first long contract. He did it at Stoke. He did it at Forest. He did it at Derby too. Whatever the motive, he indicated he wanted to sign a contract extension in October 2010. The club then entered into negotiations with KC's agent. They tuurned into lengthy negotiations. October became November, became December and then it was January. Derby offered everything KC's agent asked for and more (source Nigel Clough in interviews). The transfer window closure got closer and closer. Both Rangers and Celtic came in for KC. He chose Celtic.

He had played in 80 out of 119 League games. An average of just 2/3 of the games available. He wasn't going to sign the new contract despite being offered everything he and his advisors had asked for. With less than 20 League games to go it was obvious he would not be at Derby the following season. Celtic's bid, you say £600K, was generous considering his DCFC contract was running out, and not likely to be extended, just 4 months down the road.

This scenario plays out at many a club every season. KC left because KC wanted to leave despite what he had said in October 2010 about staying.

DCFC got the best deal possible in the situation and I think Rush was the driving factor rather than Clough although Clough was in agreement that it was best for the club.

You will have your own reasons for thinking DCFC/Rush/Clough got it wrong. I look forward to reading them.

PS - If he had signed that new contract and then been sold then your thoughts of £4M to £5M might have been what we received although with his chequered injury record £2M to £3M would have been more likely.

Es*** is right. 8M for a player is a great figure. Of course try for more but if it's 8M then take it.
    How many players not sold on to a Prem club can get you 8M.
    Vydra might be good last season but he's not yet proven over a period of time in the top flight.
    But you might get the 2M you seek for some of the others. That's the Championship for you.

I’ve written it from my own perspective but of course Andy you will always find a way to pick something out against me like the rest of you do, seeing as you always ban me for the fun of it.
    Actually why don't you try humour. You at least tried to be funny when you first arrived. Now all you do is moan about the unfairness.
    Stop whining. Start posting
    Put in a bit of humour and nobody will pick on you no more.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Your opinion and one to which you are entitled to have and to broadcast. I disagree and I will explain why.

He had just half a season left on his contract. He could have gone for nothing in the summer.
    The 2 1/2 seasons he had at Derby saw him play 34 League games in his first season. All games missed due to injury.
    2nd season a mere 20, again down to injury.
    last 1/2 a season saw him play in 26 out of 27 games. Playing for a new contract after 2 injury hit seasons? Playing for a move after 2 injury hit seasons? He had a history of moving on at the end of his first long contract. He did it at Stoke. He did it at Forest. He did it at Derby too. Whatever the motive, he indicated he wanted to sign a contract extension in October 2010. The club then entered into negotiations with KC's agent. They tuurned into lengthy negotiations. October became November, became December and then it was January. Derby offered everything KC's agent asked for and more (source Nigel Clough in interviews). The transfer window closure got closer and closer. Both Rangers and Celtic came in for KC. He chose Celtic.

He had played in 80 out of 119 League games. An average of just 2/3 of the games available. He wasn't going to sign the new contract despite being offered everything he and his advisors had asked for. With less than 20 League games to go it was obvious he would not be at Derby the following season. Celtic's bid, you say £600K, was generous considering his DCFC contract was running out, and not likely to be extended, just 4 months down the road.

This scenario plays out at many a club every season. KC left because KC wanted to leave despite what he had said in October 2010 about staying.

DCFC got the best deal possible in the situation and I think Rush was the driving factor rather than Clough although Clough was in agreement that it was best for the club.

You will have your own reasons for thinking DCFC/Rush/Clough got it wrong. I look forward to reading them.

PS - If he had signed that new contract and then been sold then your thoughts of £4M to £5M might have been what we received although with his chequered injury record £2M to £3M would have been more likely.
    Kris Commons didn’t want to leave Derby he was forced out of the club because they couldn’t afford his wages and they sold him for cheap because they wanted to get rid of him quickly, they didn’t care what they wanted for him they just accepted any deal and be done with it, hey! they should do that with the crop of lightweights we got now but with a more feeable budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    If I remember rightly Commons, when sold, had about 3 or 4 months left on his contract before he could walk for nothing. So the contract (which is what we effectively sold) was worth what we got even it the player might have been of greater value
    It was only worth what Clough thought he was worth and that was £600,000 when he was worth considerably more but seeing as he didn’t want him at the club and they couldn’t afford his wage requirements and so they wanted him out quickly and Kris Commons, wanted to stay and help the club get promoted but the club wasn’t interested and seeing as Clough is not a very good negotiator this move doesn’t surprise me.

It doesn’t matter if his contract was running out and this lark of his value goes down because of it, no it doesn’t it means you get the best deal possible out of the current situation and sell him at the best possible price but as usual with Derby negotiating good deals with players is not in their forte.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Actually why don't you try humour. You at least tried to be funny when you first arrived. Now all you do is moan about the unfairness.
    Stop whining. Start posting
    Put in a bit of humour and nobody will pick on you no more.
    Moan about the unfairness and i wonder why because people looking to find a way to get me banned at the least opportune moment.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)