+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S****horpe United Post Match Thoughts 2

S****horpe United Post Match Thoughts 2

We won. Wembley here we come. Michael Smith is much better than anyone ever thought he'd be.

Thoughts?

First of all congratulations to everyone concerned with RUFC because after last season it's a monumental effort to come back from that and have a one game opportunity to bounce straight back so very well done .

Bizarre game for the neutral , Scun7thorpe had enough chances to have won the tie but failed to take them , I'd go as far as to say bottled them and in the playoffs that is the price you pay .

Rotherham scored at precisely the right time just before half time , decent header from Wood .

Warne made the brave but very correct decision to make the change at the back just in to the second half and you looked a little more secure if not altogether convincing .

The second goal was much needed and it duly arrived with a tidy finish , game over and more so when Scun7thorpe went down to ten and you could see the spirit and belief eroding from them .

Job done for the millers .

Still work to be done we didn’t play like we have done but still got the win glad we won but Mattock and icky needs to train more

It wasn't pretty. It wasn't a great performance, but we did what we needed to.

Rodak was immense again.

Smith battled all night, sometimes with little support around him. Williams did really well, as did Vaulks.

Icky a couple of dodgy moments but I think we'll have a player there for the future.

Mattock for me still not quite fit?

But WTF, we are going to Wemberlee.

I am very happy and will continue to be very happy with a bottle of lucky red.

Don't know how we won really, lumping it up to Smith when he had no support didn't work but somehow we still won.

Lucky that McGeehan was off-target a couple of times and had some good goalkeeping from Rodak.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Don't know how we won really, lumping it up to Smith when he had no support didn't work but somehow we still won.

Lucky that McGeehan was off-target a couple of times and had some good goalkeeping from Rodak.
    A million quid McGeehan fire , not always an indication of a players ability , shocking miss with the header .

I think we won overall on a combination of :

1. Sheer tenacity and refusing to yield to early Scunny pressure when we had to ride the storm

2. Us having more dimensions of attack than just quick movement balls through defence that Scunny relied on. Once we fought into the game, we pressed all and should have been comfortablly in front at half time

3. Scunny bottling the chances they did create. Very talented players in attack but just didn't come off for them, especially when 2-0 down and they were all over us

4. Their fella getting sent off at just the right time. Phew!

5. And this is crucial. Scunny have glass jaw defence. More so than us. And it cost them over the 2 games.

As had happened many times this season, we dug in and through sheer tenacity and force of will, having different goal scoring options, we managed to get the edge over excellent opposition.

Shrewsbury very similar to us. I think it'll be very close, 1 goal decider either way.

Whatever happens, after last season, we've done brilliantly and we all should be proud of our club.

Nice post ragingpup, but I would add fitness too. Maybe some of it’s down to spirit and adrenaline but we didn’t seem to drop off in either leg and kept pretty consistent high but calm effort throughout.

On another note I think I got score spot on

Ground that out good and proper lads, not our best footballing performance but are we bothered??? are we f.....lippin ellas like!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast