+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: England WC Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    If we're nitpicking then, what exactly has Wellbeck done to deserve his place ?.
    Better striker than Lallana?

He has certain qualities and they likely fit what GS wants in a 4th choice striker there for plan C?

Andy Carroll might have been a good choice as one of the back up strikers, something different maybe to throw on in the last 30 minutes.
    I agree that Danny Wellbeck has his qualities, but hes hardly shown them for a few seasons now has he. Remember his winning back-flick goal against Sweden in Euro '12, whatever happened to that player!.

Andy Carroll might have been a good choice as one of the back up strikers, something different maybe to throw on in the last 30 minutes.
    I agree that Danny Wellbeck has his qualities, but hes hardly shown them for a few seasons now has he. Remember his winning back-flick goal against Sweden in Euro '12, whatever happened to that player!.
    Carroll would have been a decent shout was it not for his mere 16 League and 2 League Cup appearances this season due to injuries. The same reason Wilshere and Lallana aren't in there.

I'm with MoP and Acido here.
    I think the fact that's it a youngish squad with no expectations beyond going to Round 2 will be a good thing.
    I don't expect them to win the whole thing. But I think this team might surprise us as the Welsh did in Euros.
    I think perhaps a last 8 or even better a first last 4 since 1990.
    1 other thing I keep repeating is that the Russians will also do well in their home tournament.
    They've got a really easy group and should have a good shout at the quarters.

One thing that goes in our favour is that we have a world class goal scorer in the team. No matter who you support cannot deny Kane knows where the goal is. A lot of these games will be tight and a moment of magic will be the difference.

We are expected to beat the first two sides we face, I've heard that before though!

My side would involve wingbacks Trippier and Rose. A back three of Walker, Stones and Maguire. Pickford in goal.

Midfield three of Ali, Dier and Sterling with Kane and Vardy up front.

Loads of pace and get right at Tunisia and Panama.

Quote Originally Posted by Salopian0 View Post
    One thing that goes in our favour is that we have a world class goal scorer in the team. No matter who you support cannot deny Kane knows where the goal is. A lot of these games will be tight and a moment of magic will be the difference.
    True and that's also a reason that I suspect Egypt will have a good chance of going to Round 2 with Salah.
    I expect tham and the Russians to make it out of the group.
    A good striker is pivotal to a good run. England with Kane can surely do better than 2010 and 2014.

Could this be Belgium's first year of actually living up to their individual hype, there is room for both of them and us to go through. Panama concern me as they are making their world cup debut, and I don't expect Russia to do anything really, other than get through their group.
    Its going to be strange though not seeing Italy there this time.

Could this be Belgium's first year of actually living up to their individual hype, there is room for both of them and us to go through. Panama concern me as they are making their world cup debut, and I don't expect Russia to do anything really, other than get through their group.
    Its going to be strange though not seeing Italy there this time.
    Not as strange as not seeing England which i had half a childhood having to endure

Some strong sides there.

France have Pogba, Griezmann, Mbappe, Kante, Lloris , matuidi, dembele and giroud

Argentina's four forwards are Messi, Aguero, Dybala and Higuain!

Belgium's options are incredible and then you have Spain, Brazil and Germany.

QF does look the limit for England.

I pray that it's football we are reading about and not some poor bystander being given a good hiding by half a dozen 'brave' ultra's.

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)