+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Your summer sport

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Couldn’t stand Eddie Waring, ‘Amster...professional Yorkshireman who made a fine sport a bit of a laughing stock imo.
    Sky have too much power over it nowadays, again imo, but it’s still a great sport with huge levels of commitment. When I watched as a kid the players may have been a cross between Gods and gladiators on the pitch but they were still accessible and approachable off it.
    That’s something which is virtually gone from football these days.
    Was actually an RU player myself. Played at school had a break and then went back to playing again. I always used to heckle the scrums in RL as 99% of scrum halves feed their own hooker and the scrum looks anything but a scrum with half of them stood upright....... These days it's the same in RU. I don't like it. With a proper put in, the opposition hooker has half a chance of getting one against the head. Now they have none. It detracts from the sport IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Was actually an RU player myself. Played at school had a break and then went back to playing again. I always used to heckle the scrums in RL as 99% of scrum halves feed their own hooker and the scrum looks anything but a scrum with half of them stood upright....... These days it's the same in RU. I don't like it. With a proper put in, the opposition hooker has half a chance of getting one against the head. Now they have none. It detracts from the sport IMO.
    RL scrum halves feed their own second row ‘Amster! The old hooking job is redundant in RL, they’re running ball players now...often interchangeable with the scrum half and the scrums are pretty much all uncontested.
    I played more rugby than football...loved it, but I was one of the ‘girls’ in the backs...never understood the ‘brutes’ in the forwards, except on cold days when you lot were literally steaming and I’d got friggin’ frostbite and no hope of a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    RL scrum halves feed their own second row ‘Amster! The old hooking job is redundant in RL, they’re running ball players now...often interchangeable with the scrum half and the scrums are pretty much all uncontested.
    I played more rugby than football...loved it, but I was one of the ‘girls’ in the backs...never understood the ‘brutes’ in the forwards, except on cold days when you lot were literally steaming and I’d got friggin’ frostbite and no hope of a pass.
    ... and it shouldn't be. This feeding the 2nd row in both codes makes a mockery of having a scrum in the first place.

I actually think scrums could and should be abolished, were it not for the tradition of the game. particularly in RU they waste a lot of time setting and resetting, are a potential source for injury and conflict etc. If the award for minor rule infraction was to simply give a tap and go free kick to the innocent party the game would be speeded up considerably.

I know this will have all the rugby fans up in arms, but I think the scrum is now so technical and open to abuse that the game would be so much better without it. Ok the fat kids at school would have no place in the game, with the abolition of props and second row, but most players in the pack are now skilled ball handlers and players anyway.

Thus spake a former hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I actually think scrums could and should be abolished, were it not for the tradition of the game. particularly in RU they waste a lot of time setting and resetting, are a potential source for injury and conflict etc. If the award for minor rule infraction was to simply give a tap and go free kick to the innocent party the game would be speeded up considerably.

I know this will have all the rugby fans up in arms, but I think the scrum is now so technical and open to abuse that the game would be so much better without it. Ok the fat kids at school would have no place in the game, with the abolition of props and second row, but most players in the pack are now skilled ball handlers and players anyway.

Thus spake a former hooker
    Scrums have always been far more important and technical in RU than RL...they even have an extra two forwards to add even more weight.
    I’d never have played rugby if I thought it involved playing in the front row...bloody horrible place...and with the increased weight involved in the pack nowadays I genuinely fear for the safety of props and hookers.

We hammered the pesky dirty Hull Kingston mob again today Anag, at the annual RL Millenium weekend.

Btw, I always liked Eddie Waring when he did 'Its a knockout', he was a giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    We hammered the pesky dirty Hull Kingston mob again today Anag, at the annual RL Millenium weekend.

Btw, I always liked Eddie Waring when he did 'Its a knockout', he was a giggle.
    So was Stuart Hall...look what happened to him!

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    F1 is shaping up nicely this season, Ferrari caught cheating on multiple fronts, merc and Lewis have got their mojo back, bottas has found some speed to back Lewis up in the constructors and I'm going to the British with merc hospitality tickets yay!!!
    so there IS another F1 fan here! this season's looking good, still no beating '82 though.

Ed Carpenter's four laps in the Fast Nine was pretty impressive tonight....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Ed Carpenter's four laps in the Fast Nine was pretty impressive tonight....
    im in spain somwatched it on a really bad stream, mighty stuff from all involved, and despite being utterly pissed off with having diversity rammed down my throat v pleased to see Dannica juking it out with the fast boys. im a Seb fan though and popping a tenner on him for race day

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)