+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gareth Southgate

Gareth Southgate

I look at the England squad he's picked and I can't get excited about the names on that list, then I think of the names not on the list and my estimation of Southgate goes up quite a bit. I've often thought it was harder to get out of the England squad than get into it, but not any more.

Joe Hart and Jack Wilshere are having a good moan at being left out, Rooney has long since been put out to grass, Smalling told in no uncertain terms he's not good enough, Sturridge has vanished, no risks being taken on Lallana's fitness, Livermore, Walcott and Bertrand back where they belong, with their clubs.

I like the cut of Southgate's jib, he doesn't seem to suffer fools, a bit like our Sean. Good luck to him.

Southgate is earnest and honest but he still has only one world class player and he ain't going to win the World Cup with that.

We should get out of the group but after that "Do One Airlines" is already booked and on standby!

Attachment 9511

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Southgate is earnest and honest but he still has only one world class player and he ain't going to win the World Cup with that.

We should get out of the group but after that "Do One Airlines" is already booked and on standby!

Attachment 9511
    We don't have any so called world class players BT , but we didn't do too badly.

Yes good luck to Southgate, I'm still not convinced he's the right man for the job though, yes he seems to have thrown out some dross, but I still believe he's a bit of a yes man for the FA and has not got it in him to make us a force to be reckoned with, hope I'm wrong as its about time we turned our dismal record that has been happening for too many years around to make us proud again.

Can he build a team?
    Like Sean - we have no world class players but we can still beat teams with them by organisation and tactics where players have a team ethic.
    I’m not sure but we will soon see in Leeds

I'm not convinced yet, but imo he's going about it the right way, picking the players he wants, and not those like Hart who seem to think they have a divine right to play for England. He's shifted some right dross out, good for him.

Sean can drum into the players the framework and methodology on a day to day basis.

The England manager simply hasn't enough time with the squad to foster this mentality.

The job is certainly a poisoned chalice...

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I'm not convinced yet, but imo he's going about it the right way, picking the players he wants, and not those like Hart who seem to think they have a divine right to play for England. He's shifted some right dross out, good for him.
    Yes we don’t want the self important prima donnas. Make em jump in the canal for a forfeit like Sean and bring em down to earth.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)