Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: O / T - Cinema to close

  1. #1

    O / T - Cinema to close

    In another blow to the already rundown centre of Dumfries comes the news that the Odeon cinema in Shakespeare Street is to close its doors in June with the loss of around 12 jobs. There has been a cinema there for decades and
    I remember it as the Regal in the days when the town had another two picture houses - the Lyceum and the Electric Theatre (now the Theatre Royal). The Electric was nicknamed '' the auld scratch '' or the '' bug hut ''.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    In another blow to the already rundown centre of Dumfries comes the news that the Odeon cinema in Shakespeare Street is to close its doors in June with the loss of around 12 jobs. There has been a cinema there for decades and
    I remember it as the Regal in the days when the town had another two picture houses - the Lyceum and the Electric Theatre (now the Theatre Royal). The Electric was nicknamed '' the auld scratch '' or the '' bug hut ''.

    If only people stopped going down to Carlisle and spent their hard earned cash in Dumfries

    Sad , sad times

  3. #3
    Had some great times there. Still have an ABC Minors badge somewhere. Itís sad that a town the size of Dumfries now has no mainstream cinema.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    Had some great times there. Still have an ABC Minors badge somewhere. Itís sad that a town the size of Dumfries now has no mainstream cinema.


    paying to watch films at extortion prices is becoming a thing of the past as new technology at home ,like firesticks with kodi and roku and other stuff you can see these films before thay come to cinema in the uk full hd ,for free ,with broadband and iptv through these devices ,around 70% of the uk public now posses these devices so no wonder cinema is going out faster than the steam engine .

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    paying to watch films at extortion prices is becoming a thing of the past as new technology at home ,like firesticks with kodi and roku and other stuff you can see these films before thay come to cinema in the uk full hd ,for free ,with broadband and iptv through these devices ,around 70% of the uk public now posses these devices so no wonder cinema is going out faster than the steam engine .
    Still canít beat the big screen for a lot of films Francis.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    Still canít beat the big screen for a lot of films Francis.

    would agree but the cost of the cinema makes it a thing of the past

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonnydukduk View Post
    would agree but the cost of the cinema makes it a thing of the past
    It is indeed expensive. Compare the Market helps.

  8. #8
    Shame it's closed but the problem was Carlisle offered a better all round experience, better seats, bigger screen and more space.

    It's just badly lacked investment.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    Shame it's closed but the problem was Carlisle offered a better all round experience, better seats, bigger screen and more space.

    It's just badly lacked investment.
    Aye. A common problem.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Deepest Cumbria
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    Shame it's closed but the problem was Carlisle offered a better all round experience, better seats, bigger screen and more space.

    It's just badly lacked investment.
    I would love to know precisely why Dumfries has never had a modern cinema built here as the Odeon for years has simply been an eye sore and embarrassing for a town of our size.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    420
    Money presumably!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •