+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Offside rule

The Offside rule

Would somebody like to explain it to me please..?

Ive just watched County v Coventry and seen some awful offside decisions given.. (IMO)..Guess I just don't understand the offside rule anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Would somebody like to explain it to me please..?

Ive just watched County v Coventry and seen some awful offside decisions given.. (IMO)..Guess I just don't understand the offside rule anymore..
    Here’s the BBCs attempt
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nt/4993924.stm

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    "Gaining an advantage If the ball is played into the penalty area and he plays the ball that rebounds to him off a post, crossbar or an opposing defender, then the attacker is offside as they have gained an advantage by being in that position."

Really? I was under the impression that if a defender passed back to an opponent who was in an offside position the opponent was played onside!

Either I am wrong on this or else the above description '--rebounds off a -----or an opposing defender--" doesn't fit that option?

Am I--or the description wrong?

Really? I was under the impression that if a defender passed back to an opponent who was in an offside position the opponent was played onside!

My take
    You are right where the ball is played to him by by the opponent, but if it hits an opponent post or crossbar and rebounds to him then that’s offside.
    I think if a keeper tries to catch a ball and it hits his chest and hands then that’s played to him, but I think that is still offside by the rules.

I honestly don't understand offside any more, and I've given up trying to, like a lot of football laws and rules, it's farcical. I'm not sure refs and liners understand it either, they're all over the place with their decisions, as they are with handball, the simplest law in the book, now reduced to a lottery.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)