+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Nolo Stick Twist?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    We were constantly playing the geriatrics up front early in the season... Do you mean the part of the season while we were in the top 2?

Oh yeah, sorry Durham, you were right all along...

F*cking troll.
    There are two ways of looking at Kevin Nolan's season - did he do really well to get a moderate bunch of players to fifth place in the league, or did we have a really talented squad worthy of the title but they were let down by Nolan's team selection and tactics?

It takes less than a second to come up with the correct answer, but durhampie actually posted that we would have won the title but for Nolan's poor team selection and poor tactics.

That shows how deluded durhampie is. It's amazing how someone can attend every game yet know so little. His posts are a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There are two ways of looking at Kevin Nolan's season - did he do really well to get a moderate bunch of players to fifth place in the league, or did we have a really talented squad worthy of the title but they were let down by Nolan's team selection and tactics?

It takes less than a second to come up with the correct answer, but durhampie actually posted that we would have won the title but for Nolan's poor team selection and poor tactics.

That shows how deluded durhampie is. It's amazing how someone can attend every game yet know so little. His posts are a joke.
    Surely the answer is both?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Surely the answer is both?
    Wrong. Did you miss the bit in the second option which said "did we have a really talented squad worthy of the title"?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Wrong. Did you miss the bit in the second option which said "did we have a really talented squad worthy of the title"?
    I didn't miss anything, I think the answer is a combination of both, he got the best out of moderate bunch of players and, his tactical naivety and team selection cost at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I didn't miss anything, I think the answer is a combination of both, he got the best out of moderate bunch of players and, his tactical naivety and team selection cost at times.
    At least you don't appear to be saying we had a really talented squad capable of winning the title (a la durham)! I'm sure Nolan has made a few mistakes over the season, he's a rookie manager so it's hardly surprising. His team selection will never please everyone on here. As soon as he names Collin in goal a fair percentage of posters would have gone for Fitzsimons instead. I think his alleged 'poor tactics' are vastly overstated. We just don't have a midfield combination that is both comfortable on the ball and physical enough to stop the opposition playing. Players who can actually combine the two qualities are few and far between in League 2. He's not asked players to do things beyond their capabilities, which has often meant a basic long ball game. Most teams in this division have grafters and battlers in the middle of the park which makes it difficult for the opposition to play. The Hewitt / Yates duo was a big part of our success in the first part of the season, even though neither are creative passers of the ball. Nolan simply played a formation and style that maximised our strengths.

It's stick 100% for me......first full season as a manager and we missed out on a play-off final by a hairs-breadth.

Concerns are

Nolo needs a Plan B if Plan A goes wrong next season....more of Plan A is not the answer, whether that is whacking it down the middle or not, not actually bothered....just plan for the "wheels to fall off at some point".

Don't dismiss players just because you don't like their attitude or application. Many of the truly great footballers were difficult to work with, arms around shoulders only works so far....Nolo needs to work with everyone, not just his buddies....unless of course he ships out everyone who has ever disagreed with him, then you end up with a team full of "yes men".
    Forte was the classic example, we were considering offering Nile Ranger a contract in desperation, yet Forte was sat on the bench for whatever reason....a truly great manager should have seen that IMO.

We critically need strikers. No idea if Forte is on his bike or whether we are keeping Grant....but there is 28? goals there that need to be replaced....he needs to be on the dog-n-bone now, not in a month's time.

Manager burn-out....not seen this mentioned, but I feel drained after that season, so it must be worse for Nolo.
    He has at times looked tired and emotional on his iFollow interviews.....can he keep up that level of intensity for another season?
    If we had got promoted then the adrenaline would have spurred him on...but getting so close, then failing, must take it's toll?

Great first full season Mr Nolan, well done Sir.

Stick for me,now the hard work comes,let's hope the 3 extra scouts Alan has recruited can produce the goods,and his youth policy both he and Kevin have promised comes to fruition.

It is laughable the idea that we should get rid of Nolan after his first full season, and he has given us the best season we have had for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    We were constantly playing the geriatrics up front early in the season... Do you mean the part of the season while we were in the top 2?

Oh yeah, sorry Durham, you were right all along...

F*cking troll.
    Durham was right about Forte though, KN played him out on the left wing which isn't his position, he is far more dangerous down the middle especially if he gets the right service which isn't hoofball.

[QUOTE=drillerpie;38895686]Agree with every word. He's an organiser and a motivator and that is basically all you need in this division.

I don't think he'll change to a ball playing style and frankly I hope he doesn't, we won't get promoted like that IMO.

"you are absolutely deluded" - the only time we looked any good and put Coventry under pressure they just couldn't handle was when we played the 'passing game' at the start of the 2nd half - we played like that for 15 minutes then Nolo made them revert to f-in hoofball again - Were you actually at the match?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast