+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolo Stick Twist?

It took Sirrel a while to get going and he had the benefit of Masson and Bradd when he arrived and then the inspired return of Big Tony and the consistency of Jimmy in the backroom.

We're still crying out for that solid no-nonsense defender, a creative mid-fielder and an energetic goal scorer and KN needs to learn to play a better game of football. We might always be safe playing cr@p with a lot of heart but it's not going to get us to the promised land.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Anyone thinking of getting rid of Nolan has a bloody short memory.

Most of the damage this season was done in the winter transfer window.

As long as that doesn’t happen again in the summer we should be fine.
    Is the right answer. This coming close season will be revealing.

Give him until Christmas, if we are still playing Hoof Ball then get rid.

Benefit of the considerable doubt for now

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Not playing attractive football, seemingly favouriting/holding grudges against players and possibly making tactical errors - but first full season as a manager with a limited squad, limited funds and a virgin chairman - and came within a referee's contact lens of getting us to Wembley.

What's the general consensus of those who can get to games?

Stick with him, or Twist again like we do most summers?
    Absolute no brainer, stick with him 100%. All this debate about hoofball is rubbish. I once remember durhampie making one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on here, when he said that we'd have won the title easily if only Nolan had got his team selection and tactics right. Laughable in the extreme. Nolan has taken a distinctly average squad and got them playing above their individual and collective abilities. The style of play hasn't been good to watch, but this is League 2 FFS. We just don't have the players to play a passing game. It would mean a midfield of Alessandra, Noble, Husin and Grant as the most technically gifted passers of the ball. That midfield would be outbattled by every other club in the division with ease. We'd barely get a kick. Nolan has done the best he could with a limited bunch.
    We definitely need inspired recruitment for next season, but anyone thinking of binning Nolan is seriously deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Absolute no brainer, stick with him 100%. All this debate about hoofball is rubbish. I once remember durhampie making one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on here, when he said that we'd have won the title easily if only Nolan had got his team selection and tactics right. Laughable in the extreme. Nolan has taken a distinctly average squad and got them playing above their individual and collective abilities. The style of play hasn't been good to watch, but this is League 2 FFS. We just don't have the players to play a passing game. It would mean a midfield of Alessandra, Noble, Husin and Grant as the most technically gifted passers of the ball. That midfield would be outbattled by every other club in the division with ease. We'd barely get a kick. Nolan has done the best he could with a limited bunch.
    We definitely need inspired recruitment for next season, but anyone thinking of binning Nolan is seriously deluded.
    Agree with every word. He's an organiser and a motivator and that is basically all you need in this division.

I don't think he'll change to a ball playing style and frankly I hope he doesn't, we won't get promoted like that IMO.

Hopefully he'll channel the spirit of Warnock and sign powerful, pacy, and most of all talented attackers and play a more precise version of the at times aimless direct football we've seen this season.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Agree with every word. He's an organiser and a motivator and that is basically all you need in this division.

I don't think he'll change to a ball playing style and frankly I hope he doesn't, we won't get promoted like that IMO.

Hopefully he'll channel the spirit of Warnock and sign powerful, pacy, and most of all talented attackers and play a more precise version of the at times aimless direct football we've seen this season.
    If we can't compete financially for the likes of Godden, who is there?

100% stick. I'm surprised the question even needs asking to be honest.

Let's be clear, Nolan took over this team only 16 months ago and we looked odds on for relegation to the National League. He got immediate results to the extent that we ended up surviving comfortably, and this season he has led us to the playoffs. Why would any sane Notts County fan not be pleased with that? The only reason anyone is grumbling slightly is because we spent a good chunk of the season in the top 3, but that only means Nolan is being harshly judged against his own phenomenal success.

It's true that we're playing a direct brand of football that isn't always the easiest to watch, but Nolan has obviously assessed the players' abilities and decided that's the way that suits them best at present, and when you consider that almost the same squad was struggling to stay in the league last season, this suggests the Nolan tactics have been effective in improving results significantly.

The notion that Nolan is destined to be a "hoofball" manager forever because he worked under (the very successful) Sam Allardyce just doesn't stand up. Nolan also spent a decent time at West Ham, the so-called "Academy of Football", so he will know all about that approach too.

I suspect deep down he wants to move us gently towards a more attractive style, but ironically the only real mistake he made this season was trying to change swap horses in midstream in January and initiate a change in style and tactics overnight with Noor Husin and Liam Noble in a five man midfield. It was clearly too sudden a change at the wrong time and cost us the games against Exeter and Crawley and arguably automatic promotion as a result.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nolo brings in more footballing types during the summer and again tries out some new approaches in pre-season, which is the proper time to experiment, but equally, if he strengthens the squad and sticks to a direct style I don't mind if he continues getting the type of results he's got throughout his tenure. Stability is the key to success and there is absolutely no reason to even contemplate a managerial change. My biggest fear would be that he gets poached by another team, otherwise Hardy should back him all the way to carry on doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    If we can't compete financially for the likes of Godden, who is there?
    No idea to be honest, hopefully he'll find some more rough diamonds ala Grant, Yates etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    100% stick. I'm surprised the question even needs asking to be honest.

Let's be clear, Nolan took over this team only 16 months ago and we looked odds on for relegation to the National League. He got immediate results to the extent that we ended up surviving comfortably, and this season he has led us to the playoffs. Why would any sane Notts County fan not be pleased with that? The only reason anyone is grumbling slightly is because we spent a good chunk of the season in the top 3, but that only means Nolan is being harshly judged against his own phenomenal success.

It's true that we're playing a direct brand of football that isn't always the easiest to watch, but Nolan has obviously assessed the players' abilities and decided that's the way that suits them best at present, and when you consider that almost the same squad was struggling to stay in the league last season, this suggests the Nolan tactics have been effective in improving results significantly.

The notion that Nolan is destined to be a "hoofball" manager forever because he worked under (the very successful) Sam Allardyce just doesn't stand up. Nolan also spent a decent time at West Ham, the so-called "Academy of Football", so he will know all about that approach too.

I suspect deep down he wants to move us gently towards a more attractive style, but ironically the only real mistake he made this season was trying to change swap horses in midstream in January and initiate a change in style and tactics overnight with Noor Husin and Liam Noble in a five man midfield. It was clearly too sudden a change at the wrong time and cost us the games against Exeter and Crawley and arguably automatic promotion as a result.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nolo brings in more footballing types during the summer and again tries out some new approaches in pre-season, which is the proper time to experiment, but equally, if he strengthens the squad and sticks to a direct style I don't mind if he continues getting the type of results he's got throughout his tenure. Stability is the key to success and there is absolutely no reason to even contemplate a managerial change. My biggest fear would be that he gets poached by another team, otherwise Hardy should back him all the way to carry on doing a good job.
    Well said. I too find it remarkable (and slightly sad) that the question is being asked.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast