+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nolo Stick Twist?

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    we played like that for 15 minutes then Nolo made them revert to f-in hoofball again - Were you actually at the match?
    Do you actually have a brain?

[QUOTE=BanjoPie;38897061]
    Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Agree with every word. He's an organiser and a motivator and that is basically all you need in this division.

I don't think he'll change to a ball playing style and frankly I hope he doesn't, we won't get promoted like that IMO.

"you are absolutely deluded" - the only time we looked any good and put Coventry under pressure they just couldn't handle was when we played the 'passing game' at the start of the 2nd half - we played like that for 15 minutes then Nolo made them revert to f-in hoofball again - Were you actually at the match?
    How many times do L2 clubs beat Prem or Champ teams in terms of %, doesn't that suggest that football will prevail over hoofball most of the time? If yoo can keep the ball and distribute it effectively, this will beat at physicality most of the time, if that were not the case, we'd see lower league teams in FA cup finals.

What you need in L2 is the right blend of physicality and flair.
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 20-05-2018 at 05:33 PM.

I wasn't at the game, no. I agree that our best spell in the match was the 20 mins after half time, I would be happy if we played like that all the time as it was still quite direct, generally no more than 2 or 3 touches before a forward pass. It wasn't a possession based game.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    I don't think he'll change to a ball playing style and frankly I hope he doesn't, we won't get promoted like that IMO.

"you are absolutely deluded" - the only time we looked any good and put Coventry under pressure they just couldn't handle was when we played the 'passing game' at the start of the 2nd half - we played like that for 15 minutes then Nolo made them revert to f-in hoofball again - Were you actually at the match?
    So you're saying Nolan changed the game with his half time substitution and we looked a much better team, resulting in us getting the game to 2-2? Yeah, I'd say that worked pretty well for a plan B.

Coventry then hit us on the break after Forte's dissallowed goal and we reverted to all out attack with Brisley playing upfront, leaving us exposed, conceding another and then being under pressure till the game finished... By the time it went to 3-1 the game was pretty much all over and we just threw everyone forward, that was plan c, not a great deal we could do at that point other than just walk off the pitch in protest at the officials, which would have been my preferred choice to be fair.

By the way, our goal at the Ricoh was a passing move that started in our half, nothing to do with hoofing it, Grant's goal came from a long throw, frown on that all you like but that's standard League 2 football, it's more unusual when teams at this level don't use a long throw to put the ball into the box and I have no problems with that. Forte's came from a corner that was hit back into the box, disgraceful.

Coventry's first goal was from a corner... Beautiful.

Their second goal started with a defender hoofing it from the left back position up to McNulty... Glorious.

Third was a ball over the top to an offside Biamou... ***y.

Their fourth was a good ball played through the middle when we had 3 defenders back and a shot from outside the area that took a big deflection... If Pep Guardiola was watching he probably ran out of note paper with the level of play Coventry displayed in their goals.

Anyone that believes Coventry were playing a much better brand of football is listening to Mark Robbins too much imo, it was a League 2 game with plenty of League 2 football no matter how hard they tried to say they play a slick passing game. Ian McParland used to say he liked to play passing football too but we all know that was a load of sh*te no matter how many times he said it although he did manage to reel a few fans in that remember his time here fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    So you're saying Nolan changed the game with his half time substitution and we looked a much better team, resulting in us getting the game to 2-2? Yeah, I'd say that worked pretty well for a plan B.

Coventry then hit us on the break after Forte's dissallowed goal and we reverted to all out attack with Brisley playing upfront, leaving us exposed, conceding another and then being under pressure till the game finished... By the time it went to 3-1 the game was pretty much all over and we just threw everyone forward, that was plan c, not a great deal we could do at that point other than just walk off the pitch in protest at the officials, which would have been my preferred choice to be fair.

By the way, our goal at the Ricoh was a passing move that started in our half, nothing to do with hoofing it, Grant's goal came from a long throw, frown on that all you like but that's standard League 2 football, it's more unusual when teams at this level don't use a long throw to put the ball into the box and I have no problems with that. Forte's came from a corner that was hit back into the box, disgraceful.

Coventry's first goal was from a corner... Beautiful.

Their second goal started with a defender hoofing it from the left back position up to McNulty... Glorious.

Third was a ball over the top to an offside Biamou... ***y.

Their fourth was a good ball played through the middle when we had 3 defenders back and a shot from outside the area that took a big deflection... If Pep Guardiola was watching he probably ran out of note paper with the level of play Coventry displayed in their goals.

Anyone that believes Coventry were playing a much better brand of football is listening to Mark Robbins too much imo, it was a League 2 game with plenty of League 2 football no matter how hard they tried to say they play a slick passing game. Ian McParland used to say he liked to play passing football too but we all know that was a load of sh*te no matter how many times he said it although he did manage to reel a few fans in that remember his time here fondly.
    Freeman - Not sure if you listen to the match commentary, but Charlie and Stall say it every week...."when we play it on the floor...we look pretty decent...then we revert back to hoofing it"

Hoofing it got us only so far, close but not close enough, Barnet, Chesterfield and Grimsby anyone?, that was not a coincidence, these were ****e teams that everyone else spanked all season long....hopefully next season we will find a Plan B and C to mix-n-match our options

Nolo is still learning and good luck to the guy....COYP

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    It is laughable the idea that we should get rid of Nolan after his first full season, and he has given us the best season we have had for years.
    Quite!

I could understand it more if we were talking about fans of the Premier League "Big Six" who think they've had a disaster if they don't win at least two trophies, but given the struggles and multiple managers Notts County have had in recent years, it's crazy that anyone should be dissatisfied with Nolan's performance.

Yes, in an ideal world we would like to play more attractive football, but managers like Sheridan and Moniz tried that and didn't get results. Nolan's tactics have delivered our best home record for years, and a dramatic improvement in results overall, and in the final analysis that's what matters most.

I believe the manager would like to evolve us very gradually into a team that plays more passing football, or at least a mix of styles, but this takes time to develop. We need to give Nolan that time and thereby bring to a conclusion the years of managerial instability that took us down to this level in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There are two ways of looking at Kevin Nolan's season - did he do really well to get a moderate bunch of players to fifth place in the league, or did we have a really talented squad worthy of the title but they were let down by Nolan's team selection and tactics?

It takes less than a second to come up with the correct answer, but durhampie actually posted that we would have won the title but for Nolan's poor team selection and poor tactics.

That shows how deluded durhampie is. It's amazing how someone can attend every game yet know so little. His posts are a joke.
    Tw*t

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Tw*t
    You are allowed to type "twit"....see

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Tw*t
    Great comeback durham. Is that all you've got?

... KN and tactics ... specifically, why do Notts not place a defender at each post for corners - Cov would not have scored their first goal.
    It's been a feature of the game for some years but requires a keeper who commands the 6 yard/penalty area and dominant centre backs to head the ball clear ... Notts have neither (Briz ok when he's on form).
    Will some expert explain to me why oh why we don't do the obvious, please ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast