+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolo Stick Twist?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Stick but for God's sake everytime we play football we're actually quite good and look to kill teams but 90% of the time it's hoof up front and hope. Stick but needs to have a plan b or even some style.
    See this is what bothers me....why hasn't Nolan noticed that we can pass the ball? Is it much like he didn't notice Forte could function at this level? After all, he's only in the side because Stead got injured.

To answer the OP's question, very grudgingly stick. This season has been full of the least risk percentage football and play-offs aside Nolan has been probably the luckiest manager I've seen at Notts. Of course there have been positives but they are matched by some big questions.

If I was funding Nolan's next season then I would want to see a progressive plan before I gave him the money. All we have to judge as fans is the retained list and summer signings.

As I saw somewhere else a more precise version of hoofball may work, and I can accept that. Thing is it only ever works with a great defence, and as we showed last night we are a way off that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Absolute no brainer, stick with him 100%. All this debate about hoofball is rubbish. I once remember durhampie making one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on here, when he said that we'd have won the title easily if only Nolan had got his team selection and tactics right. Laughable in the extreme. Nolan has taken a distinctly average squad and got them playing above their individual and collective abilities. The style of play hasn't been good to watch, but this is League 2 FFS. We just don't have the players to play a passing game. It would mean a midfield of Alessandra, Noble, Husin and Grant as the most technically gifted passers of the ball. That midfield would be outbattled by every other club in the division with ease. We'd barely get a kick. Nolan has done the best he could with a limited bunch.
    We definitely need inspired recruitment for next season, but anyone thinking of binning Nolan is seriously deluded.
    He nearly got the team selection right, but once again he got the tactics so wrong....Its no good relying on the second half to rectify things we should be up for it for the whole 90 min.. And i still dont rate him...
    Last edited by durhampie; 19-05-2018 at 01:02 PM.

I would stick with Nolan but I think serious questions must be asked as to why on earth he took so long to start playing Forte, THAT is what has cost Notts promotion this season.

What is left when the lone players leave not a lot

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I would stick with Nolan but I think serious questions must be asked as to why on earth he took so long to start playing Forte, THAT is what has cost Notts promotion this season.
    But that's not the whole story with Forte is it?

Nolan did give Forte opportunities earlier in the season but he didn't take them with any enthusiasm, and I don't just mean by scoring goals. I can remember posting earlier in the season my frustration that when Forte got his chance, his work rate was poor and he didn't look bothered, when you would have thought he should be striving to impress. I couldn't blame Nolan for wondering whether the lad was really that bothered.

Then suddenly, in the past few weeks with his contract nearing expiry, Forte comes back in the side and suddenly looks hungry to impress. I'm afraid I don't completely buy it. His career record is that of someone who shows just enough evidence to suggest he's worth a chance, but then doesn't convert it into consistent performances and eventually moves on to the next club who think they can get the 'real' player out of him. I think it's a pattern, and the responsibility ultimately lies with the player.

Regular posters will know I became a real fan of Stanley Aborah, and I still am, but the same criticism was levelled at him, and it wasn't completely without foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Except that when he did play him earlier in the season Forte was a waste of a shirt. Forte has been Jorge Grant in reverse this season!

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    We'll find out whether Nolan has been forced to play the way play by the limitations of the current squad or if that's just the way he likes it.
    I think we already know the answer to that personally. As John Coleman said last night, the signings he made in January with players like Husin, Bennett and Virtue (although I think Virtue is cr*p) showed that he wants to play football. When O'Connor came on last night we looked a completely different team and he was spraying the ball about all over the place when we were dominant. Coventry couldn't get a kick and we'd made it 2-2.

Edit: As for Forte, as other have said, he was terrible in his chances earlier in the season and looked like he was sulking constantly. Either he decided to play for his next contract or he finally took into account the things Nolan was saying in the press that Forte needed to improve on and hence improved as a player. Not sure why people would think Nolan wouldn't play Forte just because he doesn't like him when it could have improved the team.
    Last edited by Freeman25; 19-05-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Stupid question. It has to be stick for now.

This season plan was to consolidate and next years to challenge for the auto's. So Nolan has over achieved.

However now the pressure is really on. If we aren't challenging for Auto's around Christmas then I will say switch. Lets see who we get through the door player wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I think we already know the answer to that personally. As John Coleman said last night, the signings he made in January with players like Husin, Bennett and Virtue (although I think Virtue is cr*p) showed that he wants to play football. When O'Connor came on last night we looked a completely different team and he was spraying the ball about all over the place when we were dominant. Coventry couldn't get a kick and we'd made it 2-2.

Edit: As for Forte, as other have said, he was terrible in his chances earlier in the season and looked like he was sulking constantly. Either he decided to play for his next contract or he finally took into account the things Nolan was saying in the press that Forte needed to improve on and hence improved as a player. Not sure why people would think Nolan wouldn't play Forte just because he doesn't like him when it could have improved the team.
    Another one blind to the facts, Forte was played out wide earlier and he never had a decent ball to run on to. We were constantly playing the two geriatrics up front, who both Nolan and Hardy were saying they were the best in the league.. How wrong they were..And you..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Another one blind to the facts, Forte was played out wide earlier and he never had a decent ball to run on to. We were constantly playing the two geriatrics up front, who both Nolan and Hardy were saying they were the best in the league.. How wrong they were..And you..
    For someone who claims to attend every game home and away, your lack of knowledge of the realities of League 2 is absolutely staggering. Yes, we would all like to play a stylish passing game where we regularly outclass the opposition. Yes, we would all like to have a better goalkeeper, a better defence, a better midfield and a better attack than we currently have. But some of us live in the real world. To do what you demand needs Munto money, and even someone as blinkered as you should remember where that left us.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast