+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F A Cup

F A Cup

Unbelievable that I can't be bothered anymore by this competition . Used to get really excited on Cup Final day. Never away from the TV screen from Jackie Pallo v Mick McManus from Wembley Town Hall to the end of screening. No way is it as revered as it used to be.

I love it.....and I'll watch the Scottish cup game first...lovely timing that.

It was the best day of the year when I was a kid. Only game live on tv (England v Scotland) and the build up was exciting. My Mum loved all sport especially football and she knew every player. My brother was a big Blade as well and we would be playing footy out in the back (yard) then back inside for the game. Sadly both passed away but great memories of times gone but never forgotten.

Cup final day - Just what it said on the tin - "A day" it certainly was, It used to start about 9-00am at the players hotels where we found out who was having what for breakfast, Then there used to be "Its a Knock out" as well as fans on Wembley way as early as 10-00am,

Then there was the camera on the team coaches, the players soaking up the atmosphere in their posh suits and saying that they had never witnessed anything like it etc but to be fair to the players it must have been some experience playing at Wemblerlee back in the day.

The "Abide with me", bit used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and there was even a section where we just listened to the Band whilst also listening to the views of "The Panel" with Cloughie, Malcom Allison, et al, unless of course you watched it on the BBC and in the company of David Colman, Jimmy the Beard Hill.

I could never understand why the viewing figures were so wide ie BBC 10 million and ITV only 6 million as i thought Brian Moore was a great commentator,

The cup final was a great occasion and I remember all the neighbours flocking to one particular house because they had a Colour TV, Great days and the famous lines of commentary - like "Keegan".......1 - 0... "Goals pay the rent"..."and Keegan pays his dues"....Class, pure class

Too much football on TV, the lack of 'surprise' underdog finalists, the devaluing of it in favour of the Champions League, plus we're all old and cynical. The FA Cup magic is gone, gone, gone.

I could say the same about a lot of sports. Used to wait for Test matches and watch them avidly, now its wall to wall live coverage from anywhere with games that mean nothing to me. Same for Golf, used to wait for the Open and watch every shot, etc... Tennis, Rugby Union, all available on demand 24/7, all hyped well beyond their value or relevance, none of them worth watching.

If it wasn't for United, I'd give up with sport altogether and not miss it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    I love it.....and I'll watch the Scottish cup game first...lovely timing that.
    Me also Chippy,D'ya think Mumwell will turn Celtic over? I must say Miss Markel's lookin very luvly,i bet she dint go to Matalan for the dress. UTCB

money took over no way semis should be played at wembley its not a unique day anymore with live football on every day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Currieisgod View Post
    Cup final day - Just what it said on the tin - "A day" it certainly was, It used to start about 9-00am at the players hotels where we found out who was having what for breakfast, Then there used to be "Its a Knock out" as well as fans on Wembley way as early as 10-00am,

Then there was the camera on the team coaches, the players soaking up the atmosphere in their posh suits and saying that they had never witnessed anything like it etc but to be fair to the players it must have been some experience playing at Wemblerlee back in the day.

The "Abide with me", bit used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and there was even a section where we just listened to the Band whilst also listening to the views of "The Panel" with Cloughie, Malcom Allison, et al, unless of course you watched it on the BBC and in the company of David Colman, Jimmy the Beard Hill.

I could never understand why the viewing figures were so wide ie BBC 10 million and ITV only 6 million as i thought Brian Moore was a great commentator,

The cup final was a great occasion and I remember all the neighbours flocking to one particular house because they had a Colour TV, Great days and the famous lines of commentary - like "Keegan".......1 - 0... "Goals pay the rent"..."and Keegan pays his dues"....Class, pure class
    Porterfield....one nil,and who remembers after the 71 final,dashing straight out to play and doing a Charlie George when you scored

Nope got it from Bal Luxury Clothes on the Moor.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Me also Chippy,D'ya think Mumwell will turn Celtic over? I must say Miss Markel's lookin very luvly,i bet she dint go to Matalan for the dress. UTCB

FA Cup final day no longer carries the weight it used to

For many today, it's just another game

Gimme a Blades match any day of the week/month/year

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast