+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisley

Brisley

Surprised no one has commented on this.

I was too far away to see what happened but seeing the Skylights, he should have been off for putting his head in to McNumpty

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Surprised no one has commented on this.

I was too far away to see what happened but seeing the Skylights, he should have been off for putting his head in to McNumpty
    Clear view on the tv last night Airborn, McNulty pushed him and Bris did lower his head but if you watch it McNulty tries to butt him first so he should of went, a lot of handbags afterwards but the ref did well to control it, both should of been sent imo

One of those both or neither occasions and I'm glad the referee handled it sensibly. Drysdale took a lot of abuse last night and I wouldn't pretend he had a great game, but I think his linemen were probably the worse culprits.

Alan Hardy is correct that the standard of officiating at this level is extremely poor, much poorer than it was 20 years ago when Sam Allardyce was in charge. It's the one aspect of modern football that seems to be going backwards, perhaps because everything else about the game has become ultra scientific and professional, while the officials still live in semi-amateur land.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Clear view on the tv last night Airborn, McNulty pushed him and Bris did lower his head but if you watch it McNulty tries to butt him first so he should of went, a lot of handbags afterwards but the ref did well to control it, both should of been sent imo
    Correct. It would've been a travesty had Brisley been sent off and McNulty no (although not surprising given the other decisions).

I quite liked Brisley's reaction if I'm honest. It said we were not there to be pushed around (literally or metaphorically) and don't think McNulty or Coventry were expecting it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Correct. It would've been a travesty had Brisley been sent off and McNulty no (although not surprising given the other decisions).

I quite liked Brisley's reaction if I'm honest. It said we were not there to be pushed around (literally or metaphorically) and don't think McNulty or Coventry were expecting it at all.
    I've just seen it in the highlights and Brisley leans in and there is a lengthy contact, another ref would have had him off, in the Prem he'd have been off.

Look at the highlights again, commentators didn't think much of Brisleys over reaction for what was a tiny bit of a wind up from McN, he was a very lucky lad IMHO.
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 19-05-2018 at 11:21 AM.

I thought the thread was going to be about what an absolute shocker he had last night. He was not alone, of course, but his display was clumsy and error strewn at best and appallingly awful throughout at worst.

Only Duffy, Alessandra (not sure what possessed Nolan to substitute him with so much dross all around him) & O'Connor, when he belatedly appeared, showed any glimpse of skill, composure or assurance on the ball. Tootle and Jones always give plenty of effort but the skill and control was too often lacking.

As for the rest, well apart from Grant managing to score & Forte putting a shift in as usual they were simply anonymous. I've defended Collin in a number of occasions this season due to his spectacular shot stopping but his inability to control his box, come for crosses and actually get down to a low shot were sorely exposed last night. He was so flat footed when 3 of their goals went past him, like he was for a few at Swansea, it was painful to watch.

Back to the plot. it looked like both plus should have been sent off and only the state of the game and the season enabled the ref to take a more lenient approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I've just seen it in the highlights and Brisley leans in and there is a lengthy contact, another ref would have had him off, in the Prem he'd have been off.

Look at the highlights again, commentators didn't think much of Brisleys over reaction for what was a tiny bit of a wind up from McN, he was a very lucky lad IMHO.
    Brisley leant in, McN made a butting motion which missed, then they writhed their heads against each other in a testosterone-fuelled clinch-that-dare-not speak-its-name for a few seconds. In the Prem they'd both have been sent off.

Should have been sent off it was the only decision that sort of went Notts way over the two legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    I thought the thread was going to be about what an absolute shocker he had last night. He was not alone, of course, but his display was clumsy and error strewn at best and appallingly awful throughout at worst.

Only Duffy, Alessandra (not sure what possessed Nolan to substitute him with so much dross all around him) & O'Connor, when he belatedly appeared, showed any glimpse of skill, composure or assurance on the ball. Tootle and Jones always give plenty of effort but the skill and control was too often lacking.

As for the rest, well apart from Grant managing to score & Forte putting a shift in as usual they were simply anonymous. I've defended Collin in a number of occasions this season due to his spectacular shot stopping but his inability to control his box, come for crosses and actually get down to a low shot were sorely exposed last night. He was so flat footed when 3 of their goals went past him, like he was for a few at Swansea, it was painful to watch.

Back to the plot. it looked like both plus should have been sent off and only the state of the game and the season enabled the ref to take a more lenient approach.
    I think the only reason he stayed on the pitch was because it was in the 48 minute of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post

He didn't stand a chance with the overhead kick or the second goal, the third was slotted in the corner and the fourth took a massive deflection that put it in the corner too, not really sure what you'd expect from him but I doubt many keepers could have done better with any of the goals scored.

-

As for Brisley, they both put their heads together but neither headbutted the other so a yellow card to both was the right call, it was a bit of handbags. Players very rarely get sent off for putting their heads together unless it's a clear head butt and if one does get sent off people usually say it was stupid but a very soft red card. If McNulty had dived and made out he'd been headbutted we'd have gone mad at him for trying to get Brisley sent off, likewise if Bris had done it the Cov fans would have probably been demanding he receive the death penalty and they be awarded another free goal for the suffering.

I wasn't expecting Darren Drysdale to come out as the least inept looking official of the 4 man team but the help he got from his two linesman left him no choice on the big calls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast