+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Let's wait and see.

Let's wait and see.

So Darren Moore has been appointed as Head Coach at West Bromwich Albion. From my point of view the appointment has pluses and minuses.

On the positive side, he is well respected by both players, fans and the wider world of football. He knows the club insight out. The fact that he has the respect of the players may encourage some of those who we wish to stay, more likely to. He was successful in bringing pride back to the club after a disaterous season. He is appointed as Head Coach and nothing else, although he must have some say in who leaves and who we bring in.

On the negative side, the main worry is the lack of experience in management, especially in the championship. Having said that, he has played in that division and as a player knows what it needs to succeed.

Overall, I feel that there are more positives than negatives. Let's be honest, whoever we appoint would be a risk; nobody can guarantee success. What I do know is that he is now our Head Coach and we have to get behind him and the team, whichever personel they are. As I say 'Let's wait and see.'

I'm right behind him but one question I'd like to ask the club is, was Nigel Pearson ever considered? If not, why? If he was, what was the reason for him not appearing?

They (the club) won't want to undermine Darren Moore by going into discussions about other possible candidates but as much as I love the bloke, if I'm being totally honest, I would have been happier to have seen Pearson appointed.

Will/can he attract the right players? Will the board trust/agree with his targets or will they try and control him?

It could be a master stroke or disaster, only time will tell, but I think the same could have been said for Johnson and Smith too, that's why I think Pearson was the safer bet.

We shall see.

ATID ❤️

As a player he has been promoted to the prem 3 times, twice with us and then with Derby at our expense. He knows the championship well, and what it takes to get out of it.
    He is local and has an affection for the club, so would be likely to stay long term if he became a success.
    He has brought the players, the fans and the directors together, as one.
    He has been at the club a long time and understands our DNA.
    He was a cult hero even before he returned as a coach.

Those are the positives.
    The one negative is a huge one. He is managing his first club in arguably the most competitive division.
    I hope he was appointed for the right reasons and not because it was cheap/easy.

We will see.

Whilst admittedly not my first choice I have to say I’m pleased Darren Moore’s been given the job. My preference was for Graham Potter with Darren as second in command. But the ‘Moore’ I think about this the happier I am. Although he’ll be well rewarded for his efforts Big Dave isn’t here just for the money, a refreshing change from the two previous incumbents.

He’s got more (coaching) badges than a boy scout at a jamboree and in theory he’s eminently qualified for the role of head coach. He obviously feels it’s the right time to convert his learning to practice and he wants to do it at the Albion. He’s young (ish), ambitious and he clearly wants the very best for our club. It’s time to do, not talk, and he’s got the balls to make the next step.

We are obviously heading into a period of transition and upheaval. A calming influence with a steely determination to succeed is now at the helm. I’ve read about his perceived inexperience but we’re not talking about some wet behind the ears bottle washer. Darren’s 44, he knows a dressing room inside out and clearly has the respect of his peers and those within the club.

Gew on Big Dave, geeee’ it some ommer and COYB .

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    As a player he has been promoted to the prem 3 times, twice with us and then with Derby at our expense. He knows the championship well, and what it takes to get out of it.
    He is local and has an affection for the club, so would be likely to stay long term if he became a success.
    He has brought the players, the fans and the directors together, as one.
    He has been at the club a long time and understands our DNA.
    He was a cult hero even before he returned as a coach.

Those are the positives.
    The one negative is a huge one. He is managing his first club in arguably the most competitive division.
    I hope he was appointed for the right reasons and not because it was cheap/easy.

We will see.
    He was promoted four times Des', you forgot Bradford City. That in itself doesn't guarantee us anything, but at least he understands the pressures and what it takes to succeed. I'm looking forward to the journey .

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)