+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Fairytale Ending for Motherwell

No Fairytale Ending for Motherwell

Two first half goals ended Motherwell' cup dreams as Celtit lifted the Scottish Cup. We had over an hour to get back into the game but to no avail. The better team won. - External Link

We were beaten by the better team on the day and the result was never in doubt.

Disappointingly though I though the two goals were soft from our perspective, especially the second. After that we were never going to do anything. Celtic took their football off the gas in the second half and we had a bit of possession, but Bigirimana's free kick apart, we never looked like troubling Celtic.

If only we could get to a final and not be playing Celtic! We need to try that sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    We were beaten by the better team on the day and the result was never in doubt.

Disappointingly though I though the two goals were soft from our perspective, especially the second. After that we were never going to do anything. Celtic took their football off the gas in the second half and we had a bit of possession, but Bigirimana's free kick apart, we never looked like troubling Celtic.

If only we could get to a final and not be playing Celtic! We need to try that sometime.
    We needed the run of the ball in this match. Instead, Celtic got it, especially at the first goal; good strike, but the result of a break of the ball. I thought we turned up after half - time; our guys tried their hearts out, but the opposition had better players; it makes a difference most of the time.
    Is that three visits to Hampden without us scoring a goal since David Partridge scored against Rangers?
    Was Louis Moult at the game - I was sure I saw him at Central station after the match?
    Today's not coming back, so onward and upward!

Beaten indeed by a (much) better team. I feel criticism of the first half harsh. Were we brilliant? No but Celtic played well and that made our efforts largely irrelevant. Ultimately (as we've seen at various points this season) if/when the opposition get their foot on the ball and move it, we're done. We hit our limit as no matter how much we try, you can't be physical if you can't catch the ball.

Second half better - arguably because Celtic sat back to play on counter - and had Bigi been a foot lower we could have tried the grandstand finish.

But in the end this has been a phenomenal season, miles better than anyone could have predicted. I hope the players soon feel very proud rather than disappointed.

I thought were ‘bossed’ by the better side for for the entire 90 minutes.
    Our game plan to have Main/Bowman disrupt their central defence never occurred .. they were nullified.
    Bigirimana made an immediate impact/difference and perhaps should have started .. McHugh (?)
    No shame but were out our depth for this cup final but a great season finale for the club
    With a few additions/changes to strengthen weaknesses next season looks hopeful.

McHugh was poor and we also discussed whether Bigi starting would have made a difference... maybe aye, maybe naw, the circumstances of when they played makes a direct comparison pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    McHugh was poor and we also discussed whether Bigi starting would have made a difference... maybe aye, maybe naw, the circumstances of when they played makes a direct comparison pointless.
    My observation/opinion is that McHugh pointless and does not merit starting and as have posted many times .. we have better on the bench. Bigirimana the only player we have who has a passing vision. Therefore, play him and let Campbell/Grimshaw do the hard graft. Yesterday was tactical error starting McHugh as another defensive mid-fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid View Post
    My observation/opinion is that McHugh pointless and does not merit starting and as have posted many times .. we have better on the bench. Bigirimana the only player we have who has a passing vision. Therefore, play him and let Campbell/Grimshaw do the hard graft. Yesterday was tactical error starting McHugh as another defensive mid-fielder.
    Playing Bigi/Turnbull/Tanner as one of the three in most games is how I'd like to see us try to develop next season but it clearly hasn't been part of the plan this year - and as Robinson would point out, McHugh has played dozens of games in what has been a hugely successful campaign. The fact Bigi can pass the ball better than everyone else doesn't matter when McHugh, Campbell, Grimshaw and Rose are all better at tackling, heading and digging out scraps as our game has virtually nothing to do with passing and virtually everything to do with tackling, heading and digging out scraps.

Scrapping and digging will get us so far but ultimately get us no where. We need to move on get a bit of guile in our side. When Bigi came on we looked a better side, could that be because Celtic took their foot off the gas? possibly. Having three players digging in midfield has cost us this season in some games in my opinion as our midfield is the weakest part of our team. If other teams sit in we can't break them down as we didn't have a player who can open them up. As for yesterday, we never turned up for the first half hour, two down after 22 minutes and the game was effectively over as a contest. In a game that requires digging in we never started until the second half. In reality though the gulf between the teams is massive and we done all we could have done really. Looking back we have had an excellent season and can look forward to the next one with a degree of confidence.

Well it got us to two cup finals and a solid midtable place comfortably above the relegation fight. Which is a minor miracle after last season, regardless of the style (or lack of it).

Progressing from here will be a major challenge but Robinson deserves trust...I'm not convinced by his start with who we've re-signed but maybe he already knows of some pending departures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)