+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Fairytale Ending for Motherwell

Partick Thistle are currently offering a superb advert for the danger of trying to play football when you can't...

Jack McMillan about to come on for Livingston, who are looking mega secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Well it got us to two cup finals and a solid midtable place comfortably above the relegation fight. Which is a minor miracle after last season, regardless of the style (or lack of it).

Progressing from here will be a major challenge but Robinson deserves trust...I'm not convinced by his start with who we've re-signed but maybe he already knows of some pending departures.
    I see that a Shinnie has been released by Birmingham (I think). Any use to us?
    I knew that things weren't going to go our way when they managed to mis-spell the surnames of two of our players on the electronic board before the game started.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Well it got us to two cup finals and a solid midtable place comfortably above the relegation fight. Which is a minor miracle after last season, regardless of the style (or lack of it).

Progressing from here will be a major challenge but Robinson deserves trust...I'm not convinced by his start with who we've re-signed but maybe he already knows of some pending departures.
    Yes, and that was great for everyone involved with the club and I'm certainly not knocking anyone for it. As Robinson says we have an identity now as a team that gets stuck in and we don't want to lose that, but we need to move on from being just a team that gets stuck in. We now need a bit of guile in midfield when we have the ball, we now need a left winger that can take player's on and has a bit of pace. We need to keep moving forward. Team's will know what they are up against next season if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin View Post
    Yes, and that was great for everyone involved with the club and I'm certainly not knocking anyone for it. As Robinson says we have an identity now as a team that gets stuck in and we don't want to lose that, but we need to move on from being just a team that gets stuck in. We now need a bit of guile in midfield when we have the ball, we now need a left winger that can take player's on and has a bit of pace. We need to keep moving forward. Team's will know what they are up against next season if we don't.
    Yep, a left-wing back (assuming plan A remains 3-5-2) is AAA priority on the summer shopping list. Beyond that we're hopefully looking at refining rather than completely rebuilding, depending on anyone being sold obviously.

I have to agree with the above posts about us needing that but more guile and quality.

Our performance on Saturday wasn't 'bad' by our seasons standard and indeed would probably have been enough against a Hearts, Aberdeen or even Rangers but this Celtic side are on a different level to anyone else in Scotland and we fell well short against them, unsurprisingly so.

There are times when you can bemoan the fact that your team just didn't turn up on the day but I honestly don't think Saturday was one of them. We gave our best but against this Celtic side but that just wasn't nearly enough. There's no shame there on its own tbh as no other Scottish side would have fared any better IMO.

The only 'if only' I can look to is 'if only' Stuart McCall's Motherwell side of 2011-13 had half the guts and bottle that this Motherwell side had, at a time when Celtic weren't half as good as they are now...that really was our best chance of winning silverware again.
    Last edited by LawSteelman; 21-05-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    I have to agree with the above posts about us needing that but more guile and quality.

Our performance on Saturday wasn't 'bad' by our seasons standard and indeed would probably have been enough against a Hearts, Aberdeen or even Rangers but this Celtic side are on a different level to anyone else in Scotland and we fell well short against them, unsurprisingly so.

There are times when you can bemoan the fact that your team just didn't turn up on the day but I honestly don't think Saturday was one of them. We gave our best but against this Celtic side but that just wasn't nearly enough. There's no shame there on its own tbh as no other Scottish side would have fared any better IMO.

The only 'if only' I can look to is 'if only' Stuart McCall's Motherwell side of 2011-13 had half the guts and bottle that this Motherwell side had, at a time when Celtic weren't half as good as they are now...that really was our best chance of winning silverware again.
    This is spot on...and I think even those complaining we were ****e straight after the game would concede it now the immediate hurt was gone. There's probably only one team in the league who would have scored that first goal against us, anyone else it's in the stand and you applaud our midfielders for putting the shooter off...all you can do is shrug and say 'too good' because that's the difference in quality 17-times the budget buys you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)