+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luther Wildin

Luther Wildin

Former Notts youth player - has just signed for Stevenage after a spell with Nuneaton. I seem to remember a few predictions of good things for this lad a couple of years ago, then suddenly he was out of the door. Can’t remember which manager decided to let him go, but it might yet prove to have been a mistake.

Every time we sign "one for the future" from outside at the expense of our own youth team prospects, it's a mistake. The signings we bring in should be mature, first-team ready players, and the young back-ups should be our own products. If Notts County isn't seen as a club where youngsters can get a first team chance, the most talented next generation players won't sign for us. We were spoiled by having some exceptionally advanced youngsters like Draper, Johnson, Yates and Derry in the past. Other young players perhaps need more time to mature into genuine first-team players, but if Notts want to move upwards that's what we've got to let them do, because we aren't rich enough to buy our way up the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Former Notts youth player - has just signed for Stevenage after a spell with Nuneaton. I seem to remember a few predictions of good things for this lad a couple of years ago, then suddenly he was out of the door. Can’t remember which manager decided to let him go, but it might yet prove to have been a mistake.
    Brought in by Moniz and released by KN this time last year I think.

Luther was always a god player for notts u18, the problem like so many youth players before him notts do not give youth a chance all of this seasons 1st year pros have already been released without even training with the 1st which i find bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by mods100 View Post
    Luther was always a god player for notts u18, the problem like so many youth players before him notts do not give youth a chance all of this seasons 1st year pros have already been released without even training with the 1st which i find bizarre
    For me, this is the only real criticism I would have of the Alan Hardy regime so far. He made a big play about youth development when he arrived, but I've not seen much evidence of that so far. The "Class of 2018" recruited from outside have been a waste of time, taking up slots in the fringe first-team squad that could have gone to our own youth products.

Perhaps it's the manager just not trusting our younger players to deliver, but the truth is that no matter how much you watch them in training and youth games, you sometimes can't tell how much a younger player will thrive until they get a first-team opportunity. Fans sometimes don't help either, dismissing young players as "not good enough" after a couple of appearances rather than waiting to see how they develop. I think we were spoiled by players like Johnson, Draper and Yates hitting the first-team sprinting, never mind running. They were exceptional and not all players will burst onto the scene that dramatically. Others need time and patience, but will learn quickly playing in men's football if they're given the chance.

I wonder if when we signed Callum Saunders they had topics on Crewe's messageboards immediately questioning if they had made a mistake in letting him go before he'd kicked a ball for his new team?

Edit: In terms of youth prospects since Nolan came in though... Jordan Richards was the only player to come out of Sheridans reign of terror with any credit and was promptly released, Curtis Thompson was nowhere to be seen and then sent out on loan and stalwart youth product Haydn Hollis was shipped out to Forest Green...

I don't think Thompson should have been in the side for what it's worth and I practically threw a party when Hollis left but it's interesting how quickly the only players to come through our youth team and become first team players were shipped out.
    Last edited by DelroyFacey22; 21-05-2018 at 10:21 AM.

I keep trying to post honest replies without being rude or crude but my posts keep getting deleted ?

I keep trying to post honest replies without being rude or crude but my posts keep getting deleted ?
    Not by me. Must be a glitch.

I fully aware that you have a difficult job on here and you also do a great job, but if you don't allow the truth about the youth to come out how will Notts ever learn by there mistakes ? look how many youth team players played for Cov on Sat

I fully aware that you have a difficult job on here and you also do a great job, but if you don't allow the truth about the youth to come out how will Notts ever learn by there mistakes ? look how many youth team players played for Cov on Sat
    There's not been any modding of your posts. For example, this one is also perfectly visible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast