+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youth team ,scouting system , or the lack of ?

is that the one from the match day programme

No idea, I googled "Notts County team photo" and that was the first one, the link goes to this page on the official site - https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...er/team-photo/

I have purchased the 1st squad photo from the club shop and not 1 of this years 1st years are on it which I find strange , the lads signed there contracts in the hope that there was a pathway and that they would get the full support from Notts this did not happen and looking at the squad photo it was never notts intention to develop them, this is why next years 1st years do not receive the same treatment and then and only then might we see Notts youth breaking into the 1st team

Quote Originally Posted by mods100 View Post
    looking at the squad photo it was never notts intention to develop them.
    Yes, because it makes perfect sense for Notts to sign them, pay them, and then show no interest in developing them!

If we had a reserve team (or U23 team as they call them now) these 1st year scholars would be in it and people wouldn't (or shouldn't) question why they were not included in the "First team squad" photo. When Premiership teams take their first team squad photo they don't include all of their youth prospects otherwise the photo would look ridiculous, obviously we're not on that spectrum but either way, I don't see an issue with them not being in a first team squad photo.

looking at your posts you come over very well del and you know what you are talking about so i'm not trying to offend you in anyway Notts did have a U23 side this season but the 1st years never got to play in any games or did they get to train with the 1st team all season so the young lads were never going to develop as for the squad photo the 1st years were part of the 1st team squad they were not deemed youth prospects, again this needs to be addressed for the good of Notts young players

I know Pierce Bird (Alfreton) and Sam Osbourne (Grantham) have been out on loan all season, don't know if Jordon Richards and Curtis Hall are still with the club.

Brown-hill was at Shaw Lane but broke ankle and was out for 5 months and now released along with richards, dearle , searson-smith, hall, osbourne offered another third year scholar

Quote Originally Posted by mods100 View Post
    looking at your posts you come over very well del and you know what you are talking about so i'm not trying to offend you in anyway Notts did have a U23 side this season but the 1st years never got to play in any games or did they get to train with the 1st team all season so the young lads were never going to develop as for the squad photo the 1st years were part of the 1st team squad they were not deemed youth prospects, again this needs to be addressed for the good of Notts young players
    Apologies, I meant to say "A proper reserve/U23 team" that plays regular fixtures, do we not just assemble one every now and again and arrange friendlies? Bigger clubs than us use those squads to bridge the gap between U18's football and mens football and without that step I think you have to show a lot of talent early on to make that step up or you can play in a team that needs you to make up the numbers. Curtis Thompson broke into the first team out of necessity more than anything, filling in at full back for quite a while before he looked a half decent central midfielder and Hollis broke into the team when we were god awful and had nobody else and managed to stay there for far too long.

The one big regret I have is Pedro's lad Jordan Richards (not to be confused with Jordon Richards) as he seemed to be the one good thing that came out of Sheridan's tenure, he looked like a younger, better version of Curtis Thompson and it was a real shame we didn't give him more time although I vaguely remember Alan Hardy saying he turned us down instead of the other way around?

I'm sure the situation will improve for next years 1st years but I do feel sorry the the crop of young lads this year regardless of ability they were only offered 3rd year scholars and were told to earn a Pro deal that is fair enough , but then not be allowed to train with the 1st team all season and not to play any game time at all seems to be why Notts cant produce youth that can break into the 1st team
    They all signed believing they would be part of the 1st team and they would be helped but sadly

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast