+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youth team ,scouting system , or the lack of ?

Quote Originally Posted by mods100 View Post
    I'm sure the situation will improve for next years 1st years but I do feel sorry the the crop of young lads this year regardless of ability they were only offered 3rd year scholars and were told to earn a Pro deal that is fair enough , but then not be allowed to train with the 1st team all season and not to play any game time at all seems to be why Notts cant produce youth that can break into the 1st team
    They all signed believing they would be part of the 1st team and they would be helped but sadly
    Whos Dad are you? Not being picked for the first team when you are still a kid isnt being treated badly? Surely if they were standing out they would play? They dont have a given right to be selected in games just cos they are a prospect?
    Not making the grade or not making a breakthrough simply isnt bad treatment, they might not be good enough.

dont get confused this thread is about youth at notts county, I have not slated anybody and dont intend to, Notts do not produce youth due to there handling of them, luther wildin, jack mcmillian, montel gibson, jordan richards , colby bishop to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by mods100 View Post
    dont get confused this thread is about youth at notts county, I have not slated anybody and dont intend to, Notts do not produce youth due to there handling of them, luther wildin, jack mcmillian, montel gibson, jordan richards , colby bishop to name a few
    and if any of these players had gone on to have sparkling careers at other clubs, I would agree, but they have all disappeared off radar, suggesting they were not good enough and Notts were right not to bring them through.

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    and if any of these players had gone on to have sparkling careers at other clubs, I would agree, but they have all disappeared off radar, suggesting they were not good enough and Notts were right not to bring them through.
    The way you treat a young player and the opportunities you give them can make a huge difference to their progress.

If a player isn't given a chance in their late ****s and drifts off relatively unnoticed into semi-pro non-league football, having to find employment outside the game as well, it limits their time and capacity to ever realise their true potential. It's far too simplistic to say "well, they went nowhere so they probably never were any good".

I've absolutely no doubt that there are a good number of players trawling around the non-league that had/have as much ability as some in the Championship and perhaps a few in the Premier League. But sometimes it can boil down to whether a manager gives you a proper taste of first-team action at a young age from which to develop with all the benefits of a full-time professional environment. If not, even some extremely talented players can enter the non-league wilderness from which it is difficult to ever re-emerge, not to mention the mental demotivation effect of feeling your big chance has passed you by.

Of course, that's why football clubs employ scouts who can perhaps spot the uncut diamond or overlooked talent and give them a second chance at pro level, like Stevenage appear to be doing with Luther Wildin, but for the few who get a second chance there must be many more lost to the game forever.
    Last edited by jackal2; 21-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The way you treat a young player and the opportunities you give them can make a huge difference to their progress.

If a player isn't given a chance in their late ****s and drifts off relatively unnoticed into semi-pro non-league football, having to find employment outside the game as well, it limits their time and capacity to ever realise their true potential. It's far too simplistic to say "well, they went nowhere so they probably never were any good".

I've absolutely no doubt that there are a good number of players trawling around the non-league that had/have as much ability as some in the Championship and perhaps a few in the Premier League. But sometimes it can boil down to whether a manager gives you a proper taste of first-team action at a young age from which to develop with all the benefits of a full-time professional environment. If not, even some extremely talented players can enter the non-league wilderness from which it is difficult to re-emerge, not to mention the mental demotivation aspect of feeling your big chance has passed you by.

Of course, that's why football clubs employ scouts who can perhaps spot the uncut diamond or overlooked talent and give them a second chance at pro level, like Stevenage appear to be doing with Luther Wildin, but for the few who get a second chance there must be many more lost to the game forever.
    Not sure I agree with that. If a player has the necessary talent and the right commitment they will soon rise to whatever level they are capable of playing at. I find it hard to believe that someone like Colby Bishop (as an example) would be in the first team if he had been given better support, coaching and opportunities in his youth days at Notts.

Jack McMillan was being watched by Leicester but is not deemed good enough for Notts.Its all a bit worrying after the pre-season rhetoric about building a team around our youth policy.We seem to have plenty of scouts and coaches with nothing to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Not sure I agree with that. If a player has the necessary talent and the right commitment they will soon rise to whatever level they are capable of playing at. I find it hard to believe that someone like Colby Bishop (as an example) would be in the first team if he had been given better support, coaching and opportunities in his youth days at Notts.
    Obviously I'm not saying that every player we've released was potentially the next Draper or Johnson. The point I'm making is that what happens to you in life can have an effect on your opportunity to progress, your self belief, and the way others see you.

One of the biggest myths is that the "cream always rises to the top", because sometimes it simply doesn't. Players develop at different rates and obviously you stand a better chance of developing if you stay in a full-time pro environment with all the top training and no distractions than you do in a semi-pro environment with limited expertise and time available. If a young player has the misfortune to be a bit of a slow burner, rather than a relative shooting star like Johnson, Draper or Yates, they might never get the chance to show what they could have been.

Every so often a missed talent does get salvaged, like a Stan Collymore or a Charlie Austin, or in our case maybe a Paul Harding, so sometimes their talent does come to the rescue in the end, but there will be many more who get overlooked first time around and never get spotted again.

Quote Originally Posted by gozzie321 View Post
    Jack McMillan was being watched by Leicester but is not deemed good enough for Notts.Its all a bit worrying after the pre-season rhetoric about building a team around our youth policy.We seem to have plenty of scouts and coaches with nothing to show.
    Fabien Speiss was "being watched by Man United" while he was here... Where's he playing now?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Obviously I'm not saying that every player we've released was potentially the next Draper or Johnson. The point I'm making is that what happens to you in life can have an effect on your opportunity to progress, your self belief, and the way others see you.

One of the biggest myths is that the "cream always rises to the top", because sometimes it simply doesn't. Players develop at different rates and obviously you stand a better chance of developing if you stay in a full-time pro environment with all the top training and no distractions than you do in a semi-pro environment with limited expertise and time available. If a young player has the misfortune to be a bit of a slow burner, rather than a relative shooting star like Johnson, Draper or Yates, they might never get the chance to show what they could have been.

Every so often a missed talent does get salvaged, like a Stan Collymore or a Charlie Austin, or in our case maybe a Paul Harding, so sometimes their talent does come to the rescue in the end, but there will be many more who get overlooked first time around and never get spotted again.
    It's just that we get repeated criticism of the youth set up, which is probably valid as it produces next to nothing. We are then told how talented a certain player is, but how many youngsters that we have released have bit us on the arse and gone on to play at a higher level?

Can anyone remember who the young lad was who made 1 sub appearance last season? He was supposed to be promising so Hardy wanted him to be fielded at least once.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast