+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will ref standards ever change?

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We didnt deserve to win on the night, apart from a 10min spell in the second half we were dreadful. Nolan got it wrong and once again used the bad decisions as an excuse for the defeat. The best team on the night won...
    We were awful first half and we were lucky to go in at 2-1 i'll give you that.

Coventry clearly have better players than us and probably should have gone up automatically if honest so to blame Nolan is abit daft he can only do so much.

The ref wasnt the problem his mates were at 2-2 with 30 minutes to play the whole game changes it doesnt matter who played best on the night its the result that counts as you know.

Nolan was quite tame in his interview really, I guess its part & parcel of the game it all evens itself out all the usual BS that gets trotted out.

Losing the tie to a bad decision most can take but over the two legs we were completely done over and the annoying thing is the tv proved it within seconds.

Anyway nothing we can do about it now its over for another season and it is probably in our interests that Coventry beat Exeter too.

The problem with the ref situation is there is a shortage of people wanting to come into the game and take the job. At junior level they get constant abuse from parents and players alike with some being attacked. Who wants to do a job where virtually every game one set of fans or both are swearing abuse at you calling you a w@nker or chant you don't know what you are doing most of the time.
    It is probably why you don't see ex players not wanting to do the job.
    Var as definitely got to come in full time to help them and then there will be no argument and more people might think about doing the job.

We didnt deserve to win on the night, apart from a 10min spell in the second half we were dreadful. Nolan got it wrong and once again used the bad decisions as an excuse for the defeat. The best team on the night won...
    They certainly did. The Kop agreed with you too. Apart from that 10 minute spell it was rabbits caught in the headlights. I don't think I have seen so many wild "passes" going out of play, straight to a Coventry player or just up in the air generally, in one match. If you were sitting in the Kop as I was you would have heard the discontent and the gentle booing at half-time and seen the number of free T-shirts thrown towards the pitch.

To blame poor refereeing for such an inept display is classic misdirection.

We may have lost to a side which played better on the night, but in five or ten years time, which will be remembered, the performance or the refereeing decisions? A lot of fans still haven’t got over Phil Stant’s disallowed goal v Bristol Rovers and that was 28 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Over the course of a season things even themselves out. Nolan would do better to concentrate on getting his January window right rather than moaning about ref decisions he has no control over. Control the controllables Kevin! I don't really care we didn't go up. We would come straight back down anyway. Better to really build and go for it next season with some good players hopefully signed in the close season on 2 year deals who can help cement us in league one. We are progressing up again and the refs are not going to change the only thing that might is VAR etc. Concentrate on winning games and playing well not moaning about refs when you get deservedly hammered at home by a better team. I dont think the style of play will change a lot next year and I wouldn't want it to at this level. We just need a little bit more pace.
    i'd like to see proof of this evens itself out nonsense because i'm very very confident it doesn't.

The refs are only human so you expect they will make mistakes and players / managers do too one thing that needs to be in next season is VAR they need help.

You say we got hammered we did in terms of the scoreline but as i've already said at 2-2 its game on and what went on the previous hour changes as one poster above said Man City hammered United for 45 mins and they ended up losing 3-2 thats the game....we might have still lost the game as Coventry played well but we have every right to feel let down it isn't moaning when 4-5 key decisions go against you either the officials are useless or foul play was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    i'd like to see proof of this evens itself out nonsense because i'm very very confident it doesn't.
    Can anyone remember the last time Notts benefitted from a dreadful refereeing decision, either this season or previously? I’m struggling to think of one, but I’m not sure whether this is because the mind retains resentment at injustice for longer than it retains relief at a slice of luck, or because there really isn’t any evening out. There’s certainly a perception amongst many fans that a big club like Liverpool or Manchester United will benefit from refereeing decisions over the course of a season, especially when playing at home.

One thing is for certain - Notts fans will be remembering the refereeing of this two legged semi final for many years to come, while the Coventry fans will probably have forgotten about it by next Thursday and will only be remembering the goals and the celebrations.

It's sickening, but the more noise about this, the more it sounds like whinging, and the less likely officials will be to give us a fair shake from now on. Bring in VAR. Free the Notts 4.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    It's sickening, but the more noise about this, the more it sounds like whinging, and the less likely officials will be to give us a fair shake from now on. Bring in VAR. Free the Notts 4.
    The officials should give everyone a fair shake it is their job to do so.

In fairness as a club we haven't gone over the top about it Hardy made a few comments but he has passion and in the heat of the moment its human nature to react that way.

VAR HAS to come in next season in the play offs lord only knows what will happen if Villa / Fulham get some bad decisions that game is worth over £100m decisions need to be right.

You are right in my opinion about the fact we did not deserve to win on the night. Up and till our goal we appeared to be nervous, edgy and frightened. So many mistakes and wayward passes. Conceding a goal in the first five minutes was the worse thing that could happen because it set us on the back foot literally from the start. So basically within within ten minutes of the previous leg ending and the second leg starting we had gone from being 1-0 up to 2-1 down on aggregate. Coventry took advantage of that fear and the errors after that point and it was no surpise when they scored again on 37 minutes to make it 0-2 (1-3).

The second Coventry goal on the night was the reality check and kick that then woke the players up because from that point they knew they would be going out carrying on as they were, so it released them. The Jorge Grant goal just on the stroke of half time was massive and a crucial time to get a goal. That set the tone for the start of the second half in which we came out with renewed fire, vigor and passion. I thought the substitution of Noble for O'Connor was the correct decision by KN. Thanks to O'Connor we took control and had authority on the game and created more chances and started to look like we could get back in it. The Coventry fans were silenced and their team went into themselves. The Forte goal was perfect timing for an equaliser but once that was disallowed it became a blow for us.

There is no doubt in my mind that had that goal stood it would have been a huge knock to Coventry's morale and fight as to go from being 2-0 up to 2-2 would have affected them. I think we would have then continued to play the way we did and either have took the game to extra time at least or gone on and won.

So that is not KN fault but the officials. The third Coventry goal could have been prevented as there were three opportunities for our players to put a challenge in and nobody did. Once it was 1-3 on the night at 71 minutes we threw the kitchen sink at them and that left us exposed for the 4th goal but we needed to do something.

However in spite of our poor first half performance there is no denying that the penalty at the Ricoh, the Forte disallowed goal, and an offside Coventry goal given were three massive key decisions that cruelly went against us.

The only way for things to change is for clubs to lobby for referees and their officials to be made full time. When the club has it's league's general meeting the standard of officials should be discussed and raised by League Two clubs.

I don't know how the linesman could see whether Forte was onside or offside because of a Notts player inline with the Coventry forward. Likewise how Tootles tackle can be justified as a penalty is beyond belief. It's in the classroom is where these examples and countless other incorrect decisions need to be used for referees to study and learn from so mistakes like these are not made on a Saturday afternoon. The only way they are going to get better is by educating them, giving them help and assistance.

I've said for along time every football computer game on the planet can work out offside and this can be applied to the real world. Likewise goal line technology. Take those two out of the equation and let a computer do this as a minimum at league two level and it will helps referees and linesman concentrate on other aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I've said for along time every football computer game on the planet can work out offside and this can be applied to the real world. Likewise goal line technology. Take those two out of the equation and let a computer do this as a minimum at league two level and it will helps referees and linesman concentrate on other aspects.
    Slightly different though because not only does the video game know where a pass is going as soon as it's kicked and can therefore know instantly if it's going to an offside player in terms of Fifa this year, it often decides where the pass is going based on a general direction given by the user. A lot of the time the ball will magnet to an offside player instead of the player you intended to pass to or you get occasions where the game gives offsides because it thinks you were trying to pass to someone offside so even that's not perfect. They also tend to use a "central point" of the players body to draw the imaginary line whereas nowadays the pundits seem to say if any part of the body that can score (ie, a foot) is offside then the player is offside so they will draw the line from the furthest point of the player.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12