+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley FC In The 1950's

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Probably only Fileytyke could answer that ? From 56 onwards it's changed dramatically for me , I really loved the ground as it was , and all that went with it , Old scoor booard , big crowds one week , hardly any next home game , Bovril, /Oxo tasted better , sumdi walking rarnd perimeter selling things from a box strapped on thu backs , golden goal numba int programme , swapping ends at hafe time , climbing ovva that ladder behind Paddock if thad no money , am sure thus many moor things ,cigar and pipe smook particularly at Boxing Day games , over t rest on you , am shoor thus plenty to add ,,,
    Forgot , and a decent team of triers if nowt else !!

Get over it , too many post in sentimentality , it's gone , never will be forgotten
    Now where have I read that before

My first memories were big Winnie and Pat Howard at the heart of the defence .

I can remember Eric scoring a hat trick against Watford .

Dave Booth at left back , Brian Arblaster in goal and Spud Murphy .

I can remember us getting relegated in 1972 under McSeveney because my old man was livid almost every home game although I probably hadn't grasped the enormity of relegation to the 4th tier .

The rest of the 70's until Clarkey came were hmm character building to say the least looking back , then again as a school kid I didn't have anything to compare it with , we'd always been shyte anyway .

Mansfield and Chesterfield were clubs we looked up and seemed bigger than us .

This club's a lot to thank Allan Clarke for , he made us feel like we were summat special and way above where we resided and we responded in kind .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    My first memories were big Winnie and Pat Howard at the heart of the defence .

I can remember Eric scoring a hat trick against Watford .

Dave Booth at left back , Brian Arblaster in goal and Spud Murphy .

I can remember us getting relegated in 1972 under McSeveney because my old man was livid almost every home game although I probably hadn't grasped the enormity of relegation to the 4th tier .

The rest of the 70's until Clarkey came were hmm character building to say the least looking back , then again as a school kid I didn't have anything to compare it with , we'd always been shyte anyway .

Mansfield and Chesterfield were clubs we looked up and seemed bigger than us .

This club's a lot to thank Allan Clarke for , he made us feel like we were summat special and way above where we resided and we responded in kind .

You sort of expected a goal when Winnie went forward especially for corners

You old gits eh lol, Im not that old yet eh!.

I can remember as a kid I was consistently disappointed with George Hamstead and George Boardman .

I based their ability as an 8 year old on the fact they were called George and therefore had to have the same exceptional ability as the Man Utd star at the time .

It wasn't the greatest logic clearly .

The 1970 Mexico world cup was a real line in the sand tournament for me .

Brazil played in a nice strip and wore fashionable football boots , three stripes on em , feckin hell they were cool in 1970 , that yellow and blue looked the biz and they played football nobody else played and could score goals whenever they wanted .

Pele was a genius and everyone else just chased shadows , when we played football on the street in 1970 everyone wanted to be Brazil and nobody gave the england team much credence even though we were the holders .

The impact that team had on my generation is extraordinary and maybe kids today wouldn't get it .

50's a boom time for football. The laiked fot love o t game, the laiked the hearts art forra tanner and a satsuma. Not like today's money grabbers

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The 1970 Mexico world cup was a real line in the sand tournament for me .

Brazil played in a nice strip and wore fashionable football boots , three stripes on em , feckin hell they were cool in 1970 , that yellow and blue looked the biz and they played football nobody else played and could score goals whenever they wanted .

Pele was a genius and everyone else just chased shadows , when we played football on the street in 1970 everyone wanted to be Brazil and nobody gave the england team much credence even though we were the holders .

The impact that team had on my generation is extraordinary and maybe kids today wouldn't get it .

All kids know these days is how to emulate their heroes by copying them. Unfortunately when tha comparing the modern day footballers- argumentative, diving cheats to great players back in the day, then it'd reflect in the school playgrarnd and on the local pitches. Emphasis based on the wrong things basically .

Flashback to 1970 and the skill on show tha can't imagine kids wanting to do owt else than practice and copy the skill of the Brazilians.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    All kids know these days is how to emulate their heroes by copying them. Unfortunately when tha comparing the modern day footballers- argumentative, diving cheats to great players back in the day, then it'd reflect in the school playgrarnd and on the local pitches. Emphasis based on the wrong things basically .

Flashback to 1970 and the skill on show tha can't imagine kids wanting to do owt else than practice and copy the skill of the Brazilians.
    We all wanted to bend the ball , I know it sounds daft but the balls available to kick in 1970 weren't very good , heavy or just plain done for .

Nobody bent the ball like the Brazilians did but then again nobody had a black n white spotted ball and sent it through the air at altitude .

It was like they'd invented a new game and we were totally mesmerized by em .

They scored goals from free kicks just outside the box and nobody else did , it was amazing as a kid watching my first world cup .

England 3 Hungary 6 at Wembley 1953 wi Puskas gheein us a reyt arseoylin. At worronly 5 at the time but it gave England a wake up call fo resta 50's when we were still hoofing it Morgan style to big lad up front. Walter Winterbottom and Alf Ramsey changed aar style prior to 1966.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast