+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley FC In The 1950's

Barnsley FC In The 1950's

Fascinates me does this period in the club's history when you look back at some of the great players who represented us , never saw any of em play but my old man always raved about Tommy Taylor , Arthur Kay, Jimmy Baxter , Johnny McCann , Johnny Kelly , Danny Blanchflower etc .

Average crowds were around 25k and over 30k for local derbies .

The team always seemed to be very inconsistent , beat Spurs at home one week and lose at Doncaster Rovers the week after .

I think the club actually suffered relegation to the third division north but bounced back straight away winning the league , last time we won a championship I believe .

Wouldn't be a bad idea to put that right next season would it ?

Burnsley in the 50's eh Animal, well I think those two scoundrels SB and Roma were already in their 40s at the time.

But seriously, I can't imagine footy before the 70s. Back in the days when it was plain black n white on telly and it was only 2 points for a league win.
    Last edited by Acido; 20-05-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Started goowin in 1956 , gon ivva since , Carnt remember seeing any of the above ? Depends ont clowns running this Circus nar ,, Carnt se am impressed sooar far ? Av renewed ageeun, it's become an habit ovva years , I did think abart not renewing ageeun , doubts in mi mind ovva our future , i've ed a feeling forra long time ( last 18 months ) the club has lost its Soul and heart , god forbid , that's my opinion ennyrooard

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Burnsley in the 50's eh Animal, well I think those two scoundrels SB and Roma were already in their 40s at the time.
    Gu Ballax !!! Xx oohtatorkinto ? Show sum respect KID /Nipper , thall gerra clout, Nutty Ov Normanton

History of the club's always interested me , read countless books over the years about the club .

That old west stand seen some comings n goings over the years , be a sad day when it eventually goes , last piece of the old bfc for me , nowt left other than that .

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Gu Ballax !!! Xx oohtatorkinto ? Show sum respect KID /Nipper , thall gerra clout, Nutty Ov Normanton
    No habla ballax eh Roma mate lol.
    Yes I know I say 'kid' a lot on here, its wot we do in Normy. (West Yorkshire is gods county of course lol)

Tha not in Normy , tharroneer int Tarn , Capise !!!

On the subject of footy back in the 50s though, wow I can't imagine it. What did Oakwell look and feel like back in 1951 eh ?.

Probably only Fileytyke could answer that ? From 56 onwards it's changed dramatically for me , I really loved the ground as it was , and all that went with it , Old scoor booard , big crowds one week , hardly any next home game , Bovril, /Oxo tasted better , sumdi walking rarnd perimeter selling things from a box strapped on thu backs , golden goal numba int programme , swapping ends at hafe time , climbing ovva that ladder behind Paddock if thad no money , am sure thus many moor things ,cigar and pipe smook particularly at Boxing Day games , over t rest on you , am shoor thus plenty to add ,,,
    Forgot , and a decent team of triers if nowt else !!
    Last edited by Romared; 20-05-2018 at 08:34 PM.

I'm not that old Roma kid, as I was born in '71 (the year we went decimal.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast