+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saunders

Saunders

Callum saunders has now left....

Who ?

As has Hodge. I wonder where the Dads will be off to next to convince some mug they haven't been given a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Callum saunders has now left....
    Saunders and Hodge should never have arrived.

As I've said on another thread, this needs to be the last time Notts County FC wastes money we haven't got on players (young or otherwise) who pose no challenge to the first-team.

Every year we have the same "Don't condemn them before they've even had a chance" narrative, and every year, in virtually every case, the sceptics are proved right.

Alan Hardy described them both as “signings for the class of 2018”

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    As I've said on another thread, this needs to be the last time Notts County FC wastes money we haven't got on players (young or otherwise) who pose no challenge to the first-team.

Every year we have the same "Don't condemn them before they've even had a chance" narrative, and every year, in virtually every case, the sceptics are proved right.
    While it's hard to argue with that on a factual basis, it's also said with the benefit of hindsight. I think we have to explore all avenues at this level and this budget, and that includes taking a punt on a few "might be" players on low wages. We've had no success with this strategy so far, but it doesn't mean that will always be the case. In fact, it's a major strategy for the big Premiership clubs, where they will sign twenty plus promising youngsters each year in that hope that one or two of them will make the big time. Our numbers are obviously on a much lower scale, but if we ever do unearth a gem, you can guarantee people will be saying "why don't we do this more?".

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    While it's hard to argue with that on a factual basis, it's also said with the benefit of hindsight. I think we have to explore all avenues at this level and this budget, and that includes taking a punt on a few "might be" players on low wages. We've had no success with this strategy so far, but it doesn't mean that will always be the case. In fact, it's a major strategy for the big Premiership clubs, where they will sign twenty plus promising youngsters each year in that hope that one or two of them will make the big time. Our numbers are obviously on a much lower scale, but if we ever do unearth a gem, you can guarantee people will be saying "why don't we do this more?".
    You say that, but you make logical decisions when you bet, because, when you're not deliberately being awkward, you have a thought process. You would not have put money on Saunders and Hodge making it at Notts. One had been rejected by Crewe, the other already rejected by Notts. There was very little chance of them being successful and money, however low their wages, was wasted. And now they have been let go because we have a wiser owner and manager who have learned lessons. It won't happen again, so you won't need to take a contrarian position next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    You say that, but you make logical decisions when you bet, because, when you're not deliberately being awkward, you have a thought process. You would not have put money on Saunders and Hodge making it at Notts. One had been rejected by Crewe, the other already rejected by Notts. There was very little chance of them being successful and money, however low their wages, was wasted. And now they have been let go because we have a wiser owner and manager who have learned lessons. It won't happen again, so you won't need to take a contrarian position next time.
    I can only go back to my previous post. I can't really argue with anything you say (apart from suggesting that I'm sometimes deliberately awkward, when has that ever happened???). I never had any confidence in either Saunders or Hodge making the first team, but sometimes it comes off, although never for us in recent years. The principle of signing potential talent on minimal wages is one I think we should still pursue, we just need to get better at it. The other end of the scale is to sign journeymen who have "been there, done that", but we've also tried that many times without much to show for it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    You would not have put money on Saunders and Hodge making it at Notts. One had been rejected by Crewe, the other already rejected by Notts. There was very little chance of them being successful and money, however low their wages, was wasted.
    I must have had the benefit of foresight, let alone hindsight, because this was obvious to me last summer for the reasons stated. Both had been RELEASED by clubs at or below our level the previous season. Indeed, in Saunders' case he was released by a club known for giving young players more opportunities than most.

I was less sceptical a few years ago when we signed Sean Canham from Team Bath. He had been released earlier in his career by Exeter, but had an exceptional goal record in the Conference South which appeared to make him a legitimate punt, especially as we hadn't got a bean to spend on strikers at the time, but even this prospect never materialised. Last heard of playing in Australian lower league soccer I believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast