+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retained list late being announced

I don't think Nolan ever unfairly didn't rate Forte, he just didn't show him anything that impressed him until his more recent run in the team which is why a lot of fans, myself included, didn't rate him until then either, he looked disinterested and moody for the first half of the season and wasn't worth his place in a team that was doing very well in the league. Since coming back into the side he scored a couple of goals and looked a different player, he ran himself into the ground most games and the change in his effort showed a lot imo.

You can use the excuse of him being played out wide but that's not an excuse for him to not give his all, Stead was fairly vocal in his dislike for being used out wide a few times when Moniz was here but he still put a shift in when he did it, you can never fault his effort and he generally gets the same "service" if not worse when he plays upfront.

We have a squad which was nearly good enough to win promotion and for that reason I expect that most of the players with a question mark over their heads will be invited to stay rather than being shown the door. I won’t be unhappy if the likes of Milsom and Forte are retained.

What we will then need is about 4 signings who are real quality at League 2 level (of whom 2 need to be strikers), plus maybe a couple of young loanees. There should be sufficient space in the squad to accommodate this intake though AH may need to have deep pockets to acquire the quality we need.

Agreed, we need to bring in the extra quality that we lacked for the run in that cost us automatic promotion instead of bringing in quantity and having an overhaul of what is a good squad for this level.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    Not sure why Milsom wasn't used more than he was other than him being injured and coming back to fitness around the same time O'Connor did and Nolan rating O'Connor more.

On paper, Milsom, O'Connor, Hewitt and then Noble and Husin would have our central midfield looking very strong in my opinion.
    You were doing ok until you included Noble, 1 good game in 5 doesn't cut it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    You were doing ok until you included Noble, 1 good game in 5 doesn't cut it for me.
    Noble is under contract so cant just be gotten rid of, unless we pay him off. Like it or not, he almost certainly here next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    We have a squad which was nearly good enough to win promotion and for that reason I expect that most of the players with a question mark over their heads will be invited to stay rather than being shown the door. I won’t be unhappy if the likes of Milsom and Forte are retained.

What we will then need is about 4 signings who are real quality at League 2 level (of whom 2 need to be strikers), plus maybe a couple of young loanees. There should be sufficient space in the squad to accommodate this intake though AH may need to have deep pockets to acquire the quality we need.
    I broadly agree with this.

I criticised Nolan last year for retaining far more players than I thought he should, but he can justifiably point to a vast improvement in our league placing this season as a vindication of his policy. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he again favours stability and sticks with most of the squad that has achieved a play-off place, jettisons a few complete non-starters and looks for quality rather than quantity in terms of summer signings.

The most difficult task is going to be replacing the goals and abilities of Jorge Grant from out wide, and recruiting two or three quality strikers who are rarely cheap to find. For that reason, he might well gamble on retaining Forte, which with Stead would leave him with only two striker places left to fill, assuming Ameobi must leave. I think the forward line was our most significant weakness this season and needs a real injection of quality and pace, so I wouldn't want to be relying on Stead or Forte as anything more than back-up options. One top quality centre-forward and a pacey support striker could be enough to push us into the top three.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    That's why I named 3 centre mids then said "and then" included Noble and Husin who I think are a step below the first 3 but I actually rate Husin and hope we see a bit more of him in a creative role next season. That's 5 players effectively competing for 2 starting places if we stick with 442 though

Heard on Radio Red this morning that O'Connor's contract is up but he would like to stay, but then again he would wouldn't he.
    I would say yes give him another season, Forte was one I had a go at last season, but would give him another go...

Shola - Release
    Collin - Release
    Smith - Release
    Hunt - Release
    Dickinson - Release
    Forte - Release
    Milsom - Release
    Jones - New deal
    O'Connor - New deal
    Pindroch - Release
    Duffy - Release
    Tootle - New deal