+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 24 years ago today - this minute Broooster

24 years ago today - this minute Broooster

United win the Scottish Cup at Hampden in glorious May sunshine

Putting to bed the agony of previous final defeats with that unforgettablegoal in the 46th min from Brewster after Dailly hit the post followed by the longest second half ever experienced, what a day and what a weekend, by far my favourite as a United fan

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rdwc

We certainly done it the hard way with a very difficult route

3rd Round
    Arboath 2-3 United

Very windy day at Gayfield with thousands of Arabs there

4th Round
    United 2-2 Motherwell
    Motherwell 0-1 United

Motherwell were very much title challengers for much of the season, especially
    around this part of the season, they tailed off at end and were just pipped for 3rd,
    they had also knocked Celtic out in the round before, 5000+ Arabs through for
    the midweek replay in a crowd of 13k

Quarter Final
    Airdrie 0-0 United
    United 2-0 Airdrie

Giant killers of the time Airdrie who were finalists in 1992 and 1995
    taking many scalps around this time from the 2nd tier, another 4000
    Arabs at the away tie which was made difficult by us going down to ten men

Semi Final
    Aberdeen 1-1 United @ Hampden
    Aberdeen 0-1 United @ Hampden

A strong Aberdeen side who ended up finishing 2nd ahead of Motherwell
    and finalists from the year before, last gasp equaliser in first tie
    and that never to be forgotten McInally goal in the replay midweek
    in one of the best away strips ever created

Final
    United 1-0 Rangers @ Hampden

Double treble chasing Rangers just won their 6th title in a row and were
    going for an 8th consecutive domestic honour, outplayed, outworked and outfought by
    a great mix of youth and experience, every Utd player to a man were excellent
    special mentuon to Andy McLaren who ran them ragged

Jeezo, 24 years ago. Remember it like it was yesterday. What.A.Day.

Forced the Dees into making up yet another 'more successful' tall tale, this time starting to peddle the '5-4' twaddle. That was also put to bed in good time.

Keep the faith guys - the good times WILL return.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Jeezo, 24 years ago. Remember it like it was yesterday. What.A.Day.

Forced the Dees into making up yet another 'more successful' tall tale, this time starting to peddle the '5-4' twaddle. That was also put to bed in good time.

Keep the faith guys - the good times WILL return.
    I got home on the Monday morning, after partying way tooo hard in Glasgow for a night, a day and another night. Made some good pals tho’ and actually had to buy new clothes and launch the ones I had on the sat !!

Finally slumped (in a heap) back to work on the Wednesday morning - boss not happy, colleagues not happy, at least I was happy 😜

One of the best times of my life - they’ll be back ...

Some images posted on teks

A day to remember, the music, atmosphere, everything was spot on that day!

The team celebrating portrait still hangs in the bedsit today and will never be removed as long as i live or still live here,signed by Brewster and others its a reminder to anyone entering the property that their glorious victory that day purchased the plot of land that the bedsit was built on,FACT.
    Special thanks go out to Davie Young RIP who managed to get me all the tickets i needed that day for friends and family as we only got 12000 due to Hampden's redevelopment.

Bump

Surprised this only got 877 views. Great pics from the day.

We'll be back, it's just a matter of time
    Last edited by stokearab; 02-06-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: FTD always and forever

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)