+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy targets Premier League job

McCarthy targets Premier League job

Local lad Mick McCarthy has seemingly ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Barnsley manager role.

McCarthy was the man the fans wanted to lead the Reds’ charge back to the Championship.

However, the veteran manager is eying up a job in the Premier League or a Championship club chasing promotion to the top tier as his next step after leaving Ipswich Town just before the end of last season.

The 59-year-old has reportedly told Stoke he is interested in taking over after Paul Lambert’s departure.

“I want to work in the Championship or the Premier League,” admitted McCarthy.

“If I could get a Championship job with a chance of getting in the Premier League, that would be great.

“What gives me inspiration is Roy Hodgson going in at Palace, Neil Warnock at Cardiff. Get them organised, hard to beat, know what they are doing. Play good football. Win. I put myself in that bracket.”

McCarthy grew up in the town and made 272 appearances for his boyhood club before moving on as a player.

He has been reluctant to go back to Oakwell in the past, although it seems a natural fit for the former defender.

McCarthy managed Millwall after his playing career was over before taking the Republic of Ireland job.

After six years with the national side he went to Sunderland, then Wolves before taking the Portman Road job in 2012.

The club are looking for a new gaffer after sacking Jose Morais on the final day of the season following the Reds’ relegation.

Simon Grayson is still the favourite to land the role and with six League One promotions on his CV, he has the experience the club is looking for to bounce back to the Championship at the first attempt.

Stoke City would be a good fit for Mick as long as they are prepared to offer him a decent sized budget .

Mick McCarthy is ambitious and hungry still. He's reight abart Warnock and clearly sees himself with plenty left to offer any club willing to employ him. We can't match that ambition whilst in LG 1. Needless to say he'd probably leave here after an interview trying not to laugh in bewilderment

You're right Pass they only want a clown to join rest of them at this CIRCUS a fall guy

I think we all knew Mick Mac wouldn't ever come here, as either the coach or the manager or the assistant teaboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I think we all knew Mick Mac wouldn't ever come here, as either the coach or the manager or the assistant teaboy.
    I’m glad

Who would be your personal choice for new HC ESR?

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    I’m glad
    Ive got mixed views on this to be honest Esr, and I can't help but think of the really negative comments that the Ipswich fans are now saying about him. And I admit I grew fed up of the 'Hecky - Hes one of our own' stuff at the end and this would have been more of the same with Mick.

And to your question Pass, I think Simon 'Larry' Grayson is one of the favourites, as well as Gary Bowyer who I would also be impressed with. Im getting the impression though that we're maybe trying to hold out and wait till the play offs are over.
    Last edited by Acido; 22-05-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Ive got mixed views on this to be honest Esr, and I can't help but think of the really negative comments that the Ipswich fans are now saying about him. And I admit I grew fed up of the 'Hecky - Hes one of our own' stuff at the end and this would have been more of the same with Mick.

And to your question Pass, I think Simon 'Larry' Grayson is one of the favourites, as well as Gary Bowyer who I would also be impressed with. Im getting the impression though that we're maybe trying to hold out and wait till the play offs are over.
    The Ipswich fans expected Mick to get them in the top 6 on a very mediocre budget , they should thank their lucky stars they were never in any danger of gowing down during Mick's tenure .

It remains to be seen how well the new guy goes on under the same circumstances .

Yes Ipswich apparently didn't give him the millions to spend but he actually kept them clear of relegation every season didn't he. However they still say now that it was poor negative footy which might have got results, but it was poor to watch.
    (very similar to Mark Robins with us eh)
    They're showing an interest in Jack Ross, it will be interesting to see if he turns them down like he did to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast